• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tea

Qualls07

token pipe smoker
I spent some time in Russia a couple years ago and got hooked on their tea. Their stuff is stronger than most coffee you get around here, and a good change of pace. I have been looking for something similar for months without any luck, all I can find is the "tea and crumpets" type tea. On a side note, yes I did smoke plenty of ISOMs while I was there, and no I did not bring any back.

When I was there I spent most of my time in Ulyonvsk and Moscow. In both places the majority of what I had in restaurants, private homes and from the street vendors was Lipton. They just brew it longer.

AVB said:
When I was there I spent most of my time in Ulyonvsk and Moscow. In both places the majority of what I had in restaurants, private homes and from the street vendors was Lipton. They just brew it longer.
[snapback]225903[/snapback]​
The stuff I had was definately not Liptons, it was loose and came out of black box that I cant remember what the logo looked like, although it may have just been a cool design on a storage box.
Ill have to try the yerba mate sometime.

You probably had something like this when you were there. Ran into it a few times but as I said, the majority was Lipton.

Most tea bags contain Dust and Fanning grade tea not what you want. If you can find a tea shop or company on the web buy it loose and brew it right. Black tea is a strong cup I am personally a oolong fan.
Try this site http://www.teadog.com/shop_c126542.html

First start with a freshly draw (really makes a differance) pot of water.
Place loose tea leaves into a warmed tea kettle. Pour heated water over loose tea leaves. Let steep. Strain tea and serve.
*Note: For Oolong and Green tea, water should simmer at 200 degrees F. and 180 degrees F.
*For Irish and English tea bring water to a full boil.
*Black tea should soak for 3 to 5 minutes. Oolong tea should soak for 4 to 7 minutes. Green Tea should soak for 2 to 3 minutes.

Hope this helps.

High Mountain Oolong Tea. The longer the steep the darker the tea.
But don't tell anyone I was here.

I enjoy nothing more than a good cup of tea, especially when winter is coming (gets cold in November here). I usually put some tea on before i clear snow. (yes, im in Canada, we get it). Last year, i tried loose leaf earl gray, and green tea, among a pile i got from a health food store. And thanks for the above posts, i was wondering how to brew the stuff!

Ed

I second the Yerba Mate. Its similar to tea, but from the Juniper family. Has a great taste, and is the perfect drink for energy without jitters.

Have you tried any local specialty shops around you, Where I I live there are some shops who sell good loose tea in bulk.

I am fortunate in the fact that just down the street from my office is a place called "The Spice Merchant". They have a great variety of tea, they also roast thier own coffee.

Oh, and they have spices too :)

I enjoy a good cup of oolong, or the "china star" (a mixture if five different teas) blend they have on occasion.

Iced tea? The China Star blend is excellent for iced tea.

I end up buying a ton of Earl Grey tea and have thought for many years to buying tea leaves. There is a killer place in SLC that sells roasted beans and nice selection of tea leaves. One of these days I am going to break down and get some. :D

When I was in Russia it was interesting to me that they drink mostly tea and coffee is instant. My cousin lives in Moscow and I will email him to see what he knows about the tea and if we can get it here or perhaps he will send us some.

Give Salanda a try, that is really the only tea that I'll drink from a bag.

In my trips to Russia I've seen alot of Lipton being sold and in people's homes. For raw leaves a place called CoffeeAMHas a Russian Caravan tea that is pretty close to some I had when loose leaf tea was serverd.

When I was in Russia it was interesting to me that they drink mostly tea and coffee is instant. My cousin lives in Moscow and I will email him to see what he knows about the tea and if we can get it here or perhaps he will send us some.

A Marine that drinks tea? Chesty is rolling over in his grave. :0

Doc.

i can't speak of russian tea..

the only thing I know of it, is ancient history.. (back in the 70's)

and it was pressed black tea, sold in a lump.. and not particularly identifiable, except stronger'n dirt.

So, we may be speaking of entirely different critters..

http://www.taooftea.com/shop100-Puer__Zhua...Selections.html

if i was spending MY money, I'd get the 2002 Tibetian brick tea.

there's a few others that are Very interesting, if you want to discuss it.. do NOT look at this website with your credit card available.

My wife and I went to Russia a year and a half ago to adopt our son (now 8). In most restaurants we got tea bags, but at peoples houses, the orphanage, the education ministry, etc., we got real tea. The whole thing that makes "Russisn tea" russian is the process. Here is a link on how to make tea in the russian style.

Don’t know about Russian tea, however I’ll drink some Long Island Tea all day long. :D
I had some pretty potent tea in Turkey (which was actually quite good and probably along the same lines of Russian tea) along with one or two Efes. :p

I am originally from Russia, so I can vouch that the real brewed tea that they drink is nothing compared to the tea bags that are sold here.

If you want tomake something similar to Russian tea your best bet would be to go to a place that sells Indian tea and hopefully if the people there can speak English decent enough, they will explain to you how to brew it correctly, and you will also need to buy a tee ketle to brew it.

As far as strength you can control that and no it is not just by the time it is brewing. As a matter of fact if you brew the tea too long it will turn into what is called " Chefir " Tea goes through some weird chemical process if it is brewed too long and turns into a very potent substance that gives you a high while keeping you alert at the same time. very often used by people in Russian prisons.