• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Balvenie 21 yo PortWood

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
The Balvenie 21 yo PortWood, 750ml, standard Balvenie bottle, tube packaging, 86 proof, about $80.
Picture is of the older tube packaging, I don't have the new box style packaging yet.
Balvenie%20Portwood%2021-b.JPG

I spent the day hacking at these two giant bushes trying to get them down to a manageable size. I took 6' off of them last year but they grew back 4' so this time I took off 10'. That gets them down to about 10' tall so at least I can use the standard ladder to trim them. After working like that and skipping lunch I was ready for the early dinner of experimental chicken. Sometimes the wife likes to invent new dishes and luckily for me the majority are pretty good. This was no exception.

After letting dinner sit for a bit I cracked open my bottle of 21 year old PortWood and poured a good dollop into my glass. Balvenie does make a younger version (about 14 yo, 1991 is the current bottling) but that isn't sold here in the States. This dram is called PortWood because after spending most of it's time in old oak bourbon barrels it is transferred into Portuguese oak Port barrels for the final finishing. Balvenie was one of the first to use this dual finish in their product line and many other distillers now do the same.

The Balvenie PortWood is a dark amber color in the bottle and lightning up a bit in the glass. The nose is fruity with raisins and nuts and a touch of smoke in the mix. The first taste is one of smoothness as toffee, oak and port find their areas on your tongue. The finish lasts a very long time and the smoke takes over as the fruit and nuts fade and finally a hint of the bourbon casks show up.

Probably one of the two best non-Vintage Balvenies (with the 15 yo Single Cask in almost a dead heat) there is something for all to enjoy in this dram except the peatiness of Islay. Far less expensive then the Macallan 18 this can almost be your regular dram. An ACE in every way. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Edit: Current pricing is in the $130 area.

I know this is on your favorites list Bigmac....waiting on your input. :p

Nice review. The portwood is one of my all-time go-to fav's as well, and the collection nearly always has a bottle open, of it, as well as the 15 s/c.
BTW, brief hijack- just opened a bottle of the SPringbank wood expressions Portwood last night after a long day with extended in-laws. I think it's a 16, can't quite remember, possibly a 14. Delicious. If you haven't yet...may I be so bold as to recommend it. Everything good about the Balvenie, with the added bonus of being a Campbeltown (my favorite region, actually)

I'll have to see about trying some. Thanks!

smokelaw1 said:
...just opened a bottle of the SPringbank wood expressions Portwood last night after a long day with extended in-laws. I think it's a 16, can't quite remember, possibly a 14. Delicious. If you haven't yet...may I be so bold as to recommend it.
[snapback]227368[/snapback]​

I found a bottle online for $110 plus shipping, is that close to what you paid? Seems expensive for a} that age and b} Springbank in general.

smokelaw1 said:
...just opened a bottle of the SPringbank wood expressions Portwood last night....

No, I think I paid somewhere in the 75-80 range...though I will admit, when it comes to new springbank varieties, I pretty much just hand my scotch guy the card and start licking my lips.

AVB said:
I found a bottle online for $110 plus shipping, is that close to what you paid? Seems expensive for a} that age and b} Springbank in general.

smokelaw1 said:
...just opened a bottle of the SPringbank wood expressions Portwood last night....
[snapback]227829[/snapback]​

I've been wanting to try this one for a while but other than buying a bottle I couldn't find it in a bar anywhere. Finally yesterday I stumbled acrossed it in a steakhouse. It was well worth the wait. In fact I should have ordered another one or two and skipped the steak. :angry:

I hope to pick up a bottle soon!

Thanks again for doing these reviews. I wouldn't have had the stones to order this drink without reading your review first. :cool:

I've been wanting to try this one for a while but other than buying a bottle I couldn't find it in a bar anywhere. Finally yesterday I stumbled acrossed it in a steakhouse. It was well worth the wait. In fact I should have ordered another one or two and skipped the steak. :angry:

I hope to pick up a bottle soon!

Thanks again for doing these reviews. I wouldn't have had the stones to order this drink without reading your review first. :cool:
I did the same thing. I had wanted to try it for a while but hadn't pulled the trigger on a bottle. A couple of weeks ago I was at Pappadeaux here in Denver and they had it on the menu for $11 a glass. That seemed cheap so of course I ordered a couple of glasses and it was well worth it.

Hmmmm! I'm down to whisky or cigars, this sounds very enticing. :cool:

I tried this as part of a The Belvanie sampler that had 3 50 ml bottles, one of the 21 yo Portwood, one of 15 yo Single Barrel and one 12 yo Doublewood. I think I paid $12 at a liquor store. I enjoyed all three tremendously, but the Portwood was most satisfying. I bought the sampler twice. The first time, I drank all three on the rocks, the second time neat. It seems to me that the delicate port flavor was more aparent on the rocks. Anyone else notice this? I intend to buy a whole bottle soon.

I tried this as part of a The Belvanie sampler that had 3 50 ml bottles, one of the 21 yo Portwood, one of 15 yo Single Barrel and one 12 yo Doublewood. I think I paid $12 at a liquor store. I enjoyed all three tremendously, but the Portwood was most satisfying. I bought the sampler twice. The first time, I drank all three on the rocks, the second time neat. It seems to me that the delicate port flavor was more aparent on the rocks. Anyone else notice this? I intend to buy a whole bottle soon.

I had the opportunity to sample the current line up of Balvenie at WOW and the Portwood was one of my WOTN, the 12 yo Doublewood was also in the top 5. I had glass of the Doublewood last night and really noticed the up front sweetness that I hadn't really noticed before, it turned out to be a very nice after dinner drink.

:cool:

I keep telling you, cheaper than good wine and lasts longer :)

i cannot find this for cheaper than $104, where are you getting this for $80?

thanks

Well first you have to look at the date of the review which is almost two years ago. However, it is still about $90 out the door here in PA.

i cannot find this for cheaper than $104, where are you getting this for $80?

thanks

The day I read this thread, I went to my local to pick up some wine and beer. They had a display of these samplers by the checkout. Had to pick one up. It's not exactly the Scotch drinking time of year around here. Too damm hot!

I picked up a bottle last week after trying the Glenmorangie 12 yr old port wood and doing some research here and online. This is fantastic! I found it for $99 after calling about 5 different places in DC, VA and NJ (since i was going to NJ the next day). Price was between $99 and $137 so it pays to call around.

I picked up a bottle of this yesterday. I think I'll wait until next weekend to try it. Now to find the perfect cigar to pair it with...

I got a bottle of this today. Nice new packaging, satin white box with a black felt lining. I'll post a picture in the next few days for you Ray.

Superb drink and I think I enjoy this one quite a bit. Total for my box was $102 at Kahn's.