• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What is your favorite "Oriental" meal?

Maggs44

If you could only have one last meal at a Oriental restaurant (Chinese, Thai, etc), what would yours be?

Mine would be Volcano Chicken at Chiang Mai Cafe in Brookfield WI. It is a Thai restaurant. I am not sure if Volcano Chicken is a traditional Thai dish, but its my fav.

It is made with crispy chicken chunks, carrots, bok choy, onions and green peppers.

It is brought to the table on a iron plate (with a bigger wooden plate underneath). The waitress pours some liquor on it and lights it. After it flames for a minute or 2, she pours a thick dark sauce over the flames which puts the fire out, but when it hits the super hot iron plate a huge stream of smoke rises from the dish (and everyone in the room oohs and ahhs).

It tastes like it was cooked on a smokey grill. I am not sure what the sauce is, but its tangy sweet, yet hot (spicy) at the same time.

Look forward to hearing other dishes, esp from more "traditional" Chinese/Thai cities like New York, San Fransisco etc.

Our local Thai place has some outrageous Drunkin Noodles.

Chicken Pad-Thai at the local Thai place. 4 stars is usually plenty.

I'll eat anything super hot/spicey. I like fried beef and Kung Pao Chicken. Most of the kung pao chicken I order really isn't all that spicey. There's a Thai restaurant in Pasadena which has very good Thai food.

I won't say her name on the grounds it may incriminate me.

I'll say it for you. Reon Kadena.

But as for food, it would have to be seafood bird's nest made with taro noodles and abalone. Yum!

Wilkey

Thai Larb, chicken or pork chopped with lime, cilantro, chili flakes and spices serves with a wedge of cabbage to wrap in. :thumbs:

I ate this Curry Chicken at this Thai place in Lincoln, Nebraska. It took me 3 days to finish the meal. Just smelling the dish would bring tears to your eyes. And I dont mean the Thai Curry with Coconut milk either. There was also a Chinese place in Lincoln that made Curry Chicken that hot. Too bad my stomach can have hot food any more. :(

I used to travel quite a bit, and as I worked for a very respected company at the time, my hosts would often try to impress me by taking me to very fine dining places for exotic dishes. Two of my favorites:

At a restaurant in Tokyo, on the Ginza Strip, some fellows from Furukawa took me to a place with an eel specialty. They take a loaf of tofu, and it's set into a warm "hot pot" of water. Also in the water, swimming around, are 4 or 5 small, live eels. They turn the heat up on the hot pot, and as the water comes to a boil, the eels burrow into the loaf of tofu to escape the heat. Eventually, the loaf of tofu is removed from the hot pot and sliced, and you have an eel / tofu loaf. It was actually pretty good.

In Jakarta, a local power cable company took me out to one of the best Chinese restaurants in town. One of the dishes is called "drunken shrimp". They bring out a wok, place it over a fire and pour some oil, vegetables, etc, into the wok to cook at the table in front of you. Then they bring out a bowl full of live shrimp, and put them in a bowl full of wine until they start slowing down. One cook then pours the live, drunken shrimp into the wok, as two other waiters stand on either side batting the shrimp back into the wok as they try to jump out. The shrimp were then served on a plate next to a deep fried whole pigeon (head, beak, everything). The presentation was spectacular, and the shrimp were good, but the pigeon wasn't my thing. My Chinese-Indonesian host saved the pigeon head for last, popping it into his mouth and crunching it up as a final treat before desert.

Asian food is interesting to me, but probably not my favorite, much to my poor Taiwanese wife's discontent. When we go back to Taipei to visit her family, I usually lose weight.

As far as Asian food, my favorite would be -- top-notch, really high-end sushi.

Eric

Since a lot of you mentioned Thai food, I'll also relay my Thai food story: Hanging out on Khao San Road (backpack district in Bangkok) with several Finns from Nokia and three young women of questionable repute, one of the young ladies suggested I try her "favorite" dish, which was basically your typical spicy basil pork over rice dish. She had been sitting there scarfing it down by the spoonful (Thai people use spoons the way we use forks) and she was clearly enjoying it, so what the heck. I had three bites before I realized I was completely on fire. I finished off the Singha I had, took two more from my Finnish counterparts, and still could not put the fire out. My face turned beet red, my heart was racing, and I really thought I might need to go to the hospital.

The girls, of course, were laughing the entire time. "You're not supposed to eat the rat shit peppers" they explained, a little late for my benefit.

Thai food I do like.

I will eat any sushi put in front of me, except squid...I love Uni shots (Sea urchin roe, quail egg yolk, a little spicy sauce and a shot of saki) Mix it up in your mouth for the full effect...WOW!!

-Fetter

the GOLDEN WOK just opened about a year ago and about six months ago the two other chinese takeouts closed shop. the HAPPY FAMILY, which is chicken, shrimp, lobster, and scallops with vegetables on white rice is fantastic. always have it made spicy with peanuts, perfection! :love: