• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoked my 1st ESG last night

Gator

Think they need another year or two, but it was a good smoke, not great. Couple cavities initially, but fairly quickly settled into a even burn. Draw was excellent, lots of smoke, was able to keep it fairly cool and still produce good smoke. Got a little stanky / bitter the last 3rd, especially bad the last qtr, i chunked it then. Overall, i'd give it a 80 / 100, in a year or two it might be pushing upper 80's.

I smoked one a while back and I feel the same way, hopefully in time.

Ken

Hmmm. IIRC, the early reviews of the churchills size was mixed too. Any word on how those babies are coming around?

Wilkey

A cigar that cost that much should not have to sit in my humidor for two years before it becomes smokable. I'm not in the cigar aging business. That's the manufactures job.

Doc.

My thoughts exactly, Doc. Also there should be no construction issues. I tried a few and just decided not to give them my money.

Hmmm. IIRC, the early reviews of the churchills size was mixed too. Any word on how those babies are coming around?

Wilkey

I had a churchill last weekend. I was nonplussed. After 6 months, no further development. ESG's have long been off my buy list. :(

Rob

I may have to grab #3 out of my box and see how it is, I bought them with the intention of forgetting about them. The one I've smoked was nice, after smoking the Casa Fuente's I notice alot of similarities.

I think all the delays ans BS with getting these to the market makes them that much more disappointing. Personally, I'm tiring of all the limited release stuff from Fuente these days. Every day they come out with something new and overpriced. For the love of God, just make more of your regular release stuff to satisfy, if only partially, the masses. I bet they could re-label a black n mild an Opus X Dog Rocket and still not keep up with demand... Let me know if any of you want an '06 Opus 22 box, because I now want to get rid of it and get some Padron Aniversarios. Why? Because there are 100 different shops I could buy these from tomorrow... Sorry for the mini-rant/threadjack; I'm tired and cranky.

Sigh... maybe one day these will turn into VSG ERs... a guy can dream... :)

Wilkey

I had a churchill last weekend. I was nonplussed. After 6 months, no further development. ESG's have long been off my buy list. :(

Rob
Ouch. Thanks, Rob.

Wilkey

I had a churchill about two weeks ago. The flavor was decent, but I was more impressed with the band. A more experienced BOTL told me to sit on it for two years, and after smoking one, I believe that won't be a problem. In short, an unimpressive bundle cigar with a highly inflated price tag.

Sigh... maybe one day these will turn into VSG ERs... a guy can dream... :)

Aren't the ERs from 01? ESGs are from summer of 2006. I had my first ER in early 2005, and it was wonderful. Give the ESGs time.

Wilkey

Rob
Ouch. Thanks, Rob.

Wilkey

I had a churchill about two weeks ago. The flavor was decent, but I was more impressed with the band. A more experienced BOTL told me to sit on it for two years, and after smoking one, I believe that won't be a problem. In short, an unimpressive bundle cigar with a highly inflated price tag.

Yeah but the band is pretty.

Dave I'm with you on the Churchill maybe a few years will make all the difference. The robusto on the other hand has much more immediate satisfaction as they say YMMV.

I smoked and ESG Churchill saturday night. Mine had a bit of a burn issue at first, and then it seemed to straighten itself out. A pretty good smoke, but not sure its worth the price. SO I guess I'm right with you guys.

E

Wow... I smoked a churchill a couple months ago HERFing with Rod & Co. in Glendale. Maybe Chewbacco swapped my ESG band onto a different stick when I wasn't looking. The ESG I had was a really well-constructed cigar with a sharp burn, nice smoke volume and a fantastic taste. I don't recall any subtle or drastic flavour changes, actually I think that was my only comment about this cigar. No changes, just a pleasingly consistent taste.

Hell... I'd smoke another and another. I think I've only got two left so all you guys that have those unsmokeable ESGs know where you can send them ;)

Let me just say that for $20 there are a few other smokes that I'd be inclined to 'go to' first, but given the right alignment of the stars and the proper conditions, I'd buy an ESG.

:sign:

After going through the boxes in the bottom of the cab I decided to have a second try at my ESG Robusto's, I believe 5 are now gone through gifts and trades.

It's been almost a year since my first ESG, and todays was completely different from what I think I remember.

Prelight was promising, leather and cedar mostly.

Lit it up, was kinda bitter and boring, no real notes to discern from anything yet.

1st third, all over the place, every draw was different, like a bad splatter painting. Changed from coffee to OJ real quick to cut the coffee, then to ice water to try and get something noticeable from this cigar.

2nd third, still all over the place, chasing the burn around, massaged out a small plug and it's fixed, now getting tons of smoke, still no real flavors to pin point, but very reminiscent of Casa, VSG, and Opus, just can't say anything like roasted cashews, rich leather, cedar, earth, chocolate, nothing like that at all.

3rd third, wind started picking up bringing with it some chilling clouds, started chasing burn and trying to prevent canoing, I decided to put this down and head for warmth, was kind of dissapointed at the time thinking about how much these cost and analyzing it more than enjoying it.

Well 20 minutes later I realized I was extremely buzzed, not nic sick, no spins, but seriously high buzzed, it was crazy and kinda funny to me.

Got to thinking that maybe I should not over analyze the cigars and just smoke and enjoy them for what they are, maybe I'll beging to notice more from these while not thinking about it, or what it's sister cigars have in common and things will appear.

This cigar has bipolar issues. The first I smoked was terrible. Second was fantastic (almost worth the price fantastic).

I'm with Seadub, the Churchill I smoked last July was one of the two best cigars I had all summer (the other being an Opus Reserva d Chateau) Maybe my perception was skewed b/c the EGS was had on a perfect windless night while I was catching up with an old friend and drinking mojitos with fresh grown mint. But either way it was a great cigar IMHO