• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Flor Dominicana - Double Ligero Chisel Maduro

Turk10mm

Just smokin
La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel Maduro
Origin: Dominican Republic
Size: 6 1/4 x 54
Smoke Time: 60 minutes to the cap
Production Date: Unknown
Look and feel: 93
Flavor and Aroma: 90
Burn: 90

Total Score: 91

To get started, let me say this. I was too intoxicated last night to write this review. Between the 5 fingers of Single Barrel Jack Daniel’s and the double ligero chisel, I was in no shape to write a colorful review of a great smoke. Part of this is a warning. This smoke is strong. I am an experienced smoker and had smoked cigarettes for 15 years. This smoke made me a little punch drunk a time or two which was only heightened by the booze. Now to the review.

The pre-light inspection of the smoke reveals a citrus and bourbon nose which is only accentuated at the foot. The construction is superior, with a sharp chisel cap. The maduro wrapper has shrunken a bit after rolling, as about 1/16th of an inch of the filler protrudes from the wrapper. The wrapper itself is a warm dark brown with a slight sheen to it. There are some prominent veins but they are not large or problematic.

I clip and flip the cap off this smoke (again thanks wilkey) and toast the smoke. The first puff on the light brings a sweet cane and tobacco flavor with a bit of spice at the back of the throat. After a few puffs there’s a prominent woodsy flavor of a pine forest and caramel. This smoke is rich, bold, complex, and has the makings of a very powerful cigar. The finish reminds me of a lumber yard with stacks of fresh cut wood. The ash is very solid and white. The shape of the chisel reminds me of smoking my father’s pipe when I was a boy (when he wasn’t looking of course).

Through the first third this smoke is becoming more and more powerful with each minute. There is a more distinct sheen that has formed about 1” down from the burn line. It almost looks waxed. At the end of the first third the smoke is giving way to touches of leather along with wood and great dense smoke.

At the halfway point of this smoke, I’ve gotten a pretty good buzz. I’m not sure if it’s the smoke, the Jack and coke, or a combination of the two. I’m sure if it was the Jack alone, I wouldn’t be feeling this way, however. It’s a nice buzz, not a typical nicotine sick kind of buzz. After the halfway point, its time to ash. The ash has held on strong and the construction of this cigar is top notch. I haven’t really been gentle with the smoke and its held on tight. When I do finally ash the smoke, I have to force the ash to fall, even though it appears as if it was ready to fall.

After the ash I decide to purge the smoke under flame. I’ve been doing this for the last half dozen smokes and I really find that it brings out a whole new flavor profile from a cigar. I bring my torch up to the smoke and blow evenly through smoke until the cigar itself is giving off gasses that are burning under their own combustion. I’ve removed the flame, but there’s still a bright flame emanating from the smoke for about 15 seconds. After the purge, the first puff is wondrous. There is a unique creaminess of pine nuts and toffee still holding onto a leathery finish that makes purging so wonderful on this smoke. I continue to smoke the cigar down towards the end of the second third. Here there are some faint touches of cayenne pepper on the back of the throat again. These were noticed on the first puff and have come full circle again. I’ve begun sweating, even though its not that warm outside.

Moving into the last third of the smoke the pine is fading to cedar and leather with full, stout, terrific flavor. This smoke is strong as hell and will put you under if you aren’t careful. The cayenne pepper is still very faint, just enough to remind you that its there. The tip of my tongue feels a bit tingly from the power of the smoke. I’m almost intoxicated at this point. I know I wouldn’t want to be driving. I haven’t even had that much alcohol, so I know it’s the smoke. This smoke is full to the max with a lovely light cayenne finish. The end of the smoke brings lots of leather and nuts with a mildly spicy finish. I’m past intoxicated now, and I’m officially high. The smoke is getting a bit hot at the last inch or two and I’m out of cold beverage to keep me calm. The smoke finishes with cayenne pepper notes abound, but it’s a great heat, not overpowering and doesn’t sting the mouth.

All in all, this was a great smoke. I highly advise that you smoke this while in a comfortable spot. I also wouldn’t smoke this before trying to go to bed. I was up till almost 3am trying to come down from the buzz. I will be buying a box of these for those times when I need a serious fix!

LaFlorDoubleLigeroChiselMaduro20070.jpg

LaFlorDoubleLigeroChiselMaduro20-1.jpg

LaFlorDoubleLigeroChiselMaduro20-2.jpg

LaFlorDoubleLigeroChiselMaduro20-3.jpg

LaFlorDoubleLigeroChiselMaduro20-4.jpg

LaFlorDoubleLigeroChiselMaduro20-5.jpg

Nice review! I have one sitting and waiting for the big steak dinner before I even consider lighting it :) One observation, I see you cut the the head. I've used a punch on chisels before (both sides). How many guys here cut the tip or do the punch?

You smoked that f'er in an hour? Holy shiznizzles, no wonder you got the willies. In all seriousness, thanks for the review. Swifty brought me back one of these babies from the Outlaw and I'm letting it chill for a while. I'll eat large and smoke it nice and slow.

Good review and great pics.

Nice review! I have one sitting and waiting for the big steak dinner before I even consider lighting it :) One observation, I see you cut the the head. I've used a punch on chisels before (both sides). How many guys here cut the tip or do the punch?

Great review! These are my current favorite (on a full stomach after a bit to drink). I have tried the punch a couple of times now and did not enjoy the cigar as much. The strong smoke just blasting my upper pallet was to much.

Good times, Les

Umm I think you have the most amazing taste buds in the world. Anyways, this right now is my personal favorite and have 3 sitting by in the humi. Very glad to read this as to it will help me find all of the flavors in it the next time I smoke it. Great review I enjoyed it.

fyi, i didn't cut the tip of the chisel. I just scored the outside layer of wrapper and removed the wrapper only, leaving the bundle intact under the cap.

Wow are these strong. I really gotta watch myself when smoking these; eat good first, smoke slow, pace that nicotene, take a sip of water, take a few deep clean breaths, take a small puff and enjoy the flavor. Absolutely delicious, but IMO too strong to enjoy as a regular smoke (at least for me).

wow great review..

Just so happens, that due to events beyond my control, I have one of these waiting ....

Maybe I will wait til I'm not so newb before I tackle this monster

Nice review, good pics...thanks for sharing.

Brian

Awsome review!

I like this cigar also. The strength is a focal point, but as you can tell by your top notch play by play, it has alot more to offer. Humidor time also favors this particular smoke, which is not a problem because I personally rarely look for power anymore. I've kept a handfull around since the release. Now they don't have that round house kick to the head. More like lead jabs, a few hooks with an upper cut here and there. Plenty of things to catch the imagination.

Thanks for sharing this!

Your review had me itching for another one of these. But, being short on time, I opted for the Chiselito Maduro tonight.

Thick, rich clouds of smoke on every draw. Decadent almost. And with every exhale, the smoke just sat in the street like it was one of those 90 degree 90% humidity day. Thing is, it's 67 and maybe 40%. A little bit of wind would kick up, and the thick cloud of smoke would slowly separate, and dance down the street like an ominous fog.

Can't say I picked up nearly as many tastes as you did, but I got a nice tight buzz from this, and all I paired it with was a pair of St Paulie Girls.

I love these cigars, and just wish I had more patience to let a few sit.

dayummmmm...sweet review...makes me want to try and get some even more...thanks...len

Every time I read one of your reviews I am amazed by your ability to pick the difference nuances of the cigar you are smoking. I have great difficulty in doing this and I find I have the same problem with wine and beer. I just know what tastes good.
Keep it up Bro your reviews make for very interesting reading and viewing.

I wonder how you would go doing a blind taste test on a ISOM compared to the same brand NC.
That would be most interesting .
Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the great review. I just smoked one of these after the Ohio State Purdue game. I stated at 12:08 am and finished it at 1:00 AM. It was the last cigar of the night. I had been smoking some powerhouse cigars all day. This one gave me a nic buzz. I got that hot flash sweaty feeling. This has not happened in years. I agree, it was a great ciga. Thanks to JHawk for sending in "newbie trade". He has turned me on to some cigars I have not smoked that are great.

A real man's cigar. I like the single ligero (L-300) the best so far, but agree that this is a great company with tasty smokes. :thumbs:

I've yet to "grow up" and try the doubles...i know, i'm a little old to be skeered, but it's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood. I'll give them a shot soon, i've had some sitting for a while now.

I will say this, the 2 Litto Gomez (same company) Small Batch that i have in my cabinet are by far the most beautiful sticks in my collection. The wrappers on those things are amazing!

Thanks for the review, well done.

I really enjoy these as well and always keep them on hand. My only complaint is the overall lack of smoke they produce which makes them hard to smoke outdoors or anywhere with a breeze.

I have enjoyed the Chiselito maduro before bust not this beast. Thanks for a great review. I look forward to them and your picture sequences. :thumbs:

Wow!! Thanks for the great comments guys.

I've been slacking a bit lately, because the missus has been on my ass about staying up late at night. But I'll get one in tonight!!

Every time I read one of your reviews I am amazed by your ability to pick the difference nuances of the cigar you are smoking. I have great difficulty in doing this and I find I have the same problem with wine and beer. I just know what tastes good.
Keep it up Bro your reviews make for very interesting reading and viewing.

I wonder how you would go doing a blind taste test on a ISOM compared to the same brand NC.
That would be most interesting .
Cheers

Dave