• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

History of Havana Cigars

Ginseng

Banned
Hi everyone,

I'm starting a new series of articles that I think will be unique in the world of online cigar forums and resources. I'll be presenting stories, accounts and newspaper articles from the early days of tobacco and cigar production on Cuba. We're talking pre-pre-pre-Embargo with some references going back as far as the middle of the 18th century. While some of the issues we think about in relation to Havana today seem mysterious (product quality, marketing, pricing, authenticity, production, rolling, etc.) they have actually been around for well over a hundred years.

One of my objectives is to provide some deep, historical perspective on an aspect of our hobby that most contemporary devotees associate only with Cohibas and OFAC. There is, in fact, a tremendous amount of fascinating background to the Havana cigar.

So hang with me as I give this concept a spin!

In this first article, we see that concern about the basic quality of the leaf is something that is as old as tobacco farming itself. Here, the issue is in regard to land and soil maintenance and is analogous to the situation in the wine grape growing regions of Bordeaux, France. That is, how can the soil provide nutrients to monoculture crops consistently and over time scales of centuries. Can soil run out of the key nutrients that contribute to a characteristic product? Can these products be put back in by artificial means such as chemical fertilizers?

"Deterioration of Havana Tobacco" - Bismarck Daily Tribune, Bismarck, North Dakota, Friday, September 25, 1885
Smokers who can appreciate the Cabanas Excepcionales or Partaga Conchas, will read with melancholy interest the story that a British consul general has to tell in his trade report on Cuba. According to him, "the intelligent smokers with sensitive palates" can find no cheap cigars in the "Spanish Ireland." and but very few, indeed, of what one buys in Europe or elsewhere for "real Havanas" have any claim to connection with Cuba. In fact, if one hopes to find an enjoyable cigar, even in Havana, he must be prepared to pay at least $12.50 per 100.

Good Havana tobacco, it appears, is getting scarcer every year. Not more than 10 per cent of the tobacco crop of Cuba can be rated as "first class" in quality, and, sad to relate, there has been no really fine-flavored, aromatic leaf harvested since 1881. The principal reason for all this, we are told, is that the soil is getting worn out and the plantations are suffering from the collapse that has followed an excessive dose of guano and other stimulants administered by the growers in order to meet the demands for a "permanently good article."

Wilkey

Hmmmm.... Little over .12 cents per Cuban. Man, a lot has changed since 1885!

Very interesting Wilkey. Thanks for doing this! :thumbs:

mac

Little over .12 cents per Cuban. Man, a lot has changed since 1885!
I think you mean 12 cents, or 0.12 dollars.

Indeed. Keep in mind that contrary to the situation today, prior to the recent decade, Cuban cigars were generally more expensive than non-Cuban cigars. In fact, in the late 19th century, the typical good cigar was between 3-5 cents a piece. So, they were several times the price of non-Havana cigars. Not so today where the prices and price points for non-Cubans seem to be increasing almost without limit.

Wilkey

This is good stuff Wilkey. Historical perspective on this hobby might help to overcome the pain of actually having to spend money on it.

Cheers,
antaean

Jeez, Wilkey, had to go find a way to keep yourself fresh, interesting and useful for another 6,000 posts....

THANK YOU!

Indeed. Keep in mind that contrary to the situation today, prior to the recent decade, Cuban cigars were generally more expensive than non-Cuban cigars. In fact, in the late 19th century, the typical good cigar was between 3-5 cents a piece. So, they were several times the price of non-Havana cigars. Not so today where the prices and price points for non-Cubans seem to be increasing almost without limit.

Wilkey
Very true AND fortunate for us who live outside the US! ;) I was just explaining this to some college kids who live here in Del-a-What, France. :D

Interesting Wilkey. I have been thinking about tracking down an MRN. Looks like I'm going to change that to a "gotta have." :thumbs:

Quite interesting Wilkey, thanks.

It's fascinates me how the "experts" of the day will proclaim that the "good 'ol days" are past us and the future is bleek for quality of a given product, be it Habanos or Bordeaux or CA wines.

:cool:

Great stuff as usual Wilkey.

Interesting that they thought there was a problem with the soil in 1885, 122 years later they are still thinking the same! :D

BTW, I agree, when is your book coming out? ???

Brian

You may want to mark a bunch of continuous posts - like MMM did in the cigar threads.

Great concept thread. :thumbs:

Gary,

I'll probably create an index thread calling out to each of the chapters. I think that makes better sense here than in the cigar reference threads. The reason being I think there will be more discussion and questions in these threads. That could make a single monolithic thread unreasonably long.

Wilkey

Wilkey the 12 cent per cigar is comparable to today's pricing adjusted for inflation. Think about the actual cost of the more reasonable marque cigars available today. You wouldn't need to look at a machine made cigar either to come up with some comparable value. Thanks for sharing the history of our hobby.