• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The great Fyodor blind taste test!

moki

el Presidente
It's time for another round of "Can you tell if a cigar is Cuban or not?"

carny_shot.jpg

Summary

Fyodor has agreed to undertake an experiment in blind cigar taste testing, put together by yours truly, the evil Dr. Moki. 10 individually bagged & numbered unbanded cigars have been spirited away from my torture chamber, carefully selected to make this an interesting blind taste test experiment. The cigars have also had their heads clipped off, to mitigate any empirical information that might be gleaned from the cap, or the vitola.

As soon as they arrive, he will smoke them at his leisure, in any order he chooses, and post the results here in this thread. This is a great challenge to the subjectivity of taste!

I am merely waiting on Fyodor's address information to ship the cigars to him; I will post the DC# once he PM's me that information, and I have dropped the cigars off at the post office.

The Details

Fyodor has agreed to not attempt to determine the specifics of any of the cigars by any means other than simply smoking them and tasting them (ie, no examining them, looking them up in references, etc.). This is about taste, not research! For each cigar, he will post:

1) The cigar number he smoked

2) Any tasting notes he chooses to share on the cigar as he smokes it

3) Whether he enjoyed the cigar or not, in the form a rating of the cigar from 1-10 (10 being the best)

4) His guess as to the country of origin of the cigar in terms of being Cuban or non-Cuban

5) Optionally, if he'd like to take a guess at the specific cigar he smoked, that's always a welcome addition

The Mission

The mission, should Fyodor choose to accept it... well, actually, he already did! -- is to be able to get the country of origin correct on 7 out of 10 of the cigars. After all, if you claim to love the taste of cigars from a particular country, you should be able to pick out that taste easily, right?

Remember that the baseline score of 5/10 correct is a coin-flop, the results you could expect to get if you just randomly guessed the origins in terms of Cuban/non-Cuban for each cigar. So our bar is set a tad higher than this (though arguably, one might insist on a perfect 10/10 score to make the aforementioned claims, we're a bit more lenient)!

For Observers

For people who are observing this blind taste testing, feel free to chime in, but please be respectful. Fyodor has accepted my challenge with class & gusto, and I can tell you from experience that what he is undertaking is far, far more difficult than you might imagine.

Considering the fact that studies have shown that price affects real pleasure in terms of wine, it shouldn't be too surprising that we might actually get more pleasure from a cigar if we know what it is. But what if we don't? That's what we're going to find out...

That's it -- let's have some fun with this! Blind taste tests are all about seeing if your taste buds are in line with your preconceptions. Blind taste tests are challenging, but always rewarding.

Some Notes

Taste is a very, very slippery thing. Time and time again, experts have been confounded when it comes to blind taste testing of anything... water, wine, beer, cigars... so there's no reason to feel bad at all. We all think we're better at it than we really are, myself included. Check some of these links out: The Subjectivity of Wine

"Expert" wine tasting: Round #1 -- Round #2 -- Round #3

"Expert" water tasting: Round #1 -- Round #2 -- Round #3

Tap water from municipal water supplies keeps winning in blind taste tests, yet people are paying $3 a bottle for Evian... there's definitely a logical disconnect there. People are buying by brand or label, not their taste buds. I like the statement from the last "water" article: In the final analysis, the price is all that separates them

When it comes to taste, the most important organ in your body is your brain, and the preconceptions it carries along with it. Your tongue and nose are mere appendages.

....bwahahaha. This is going to be good. I can say that, because it's not me that has to make the call...... :laugh:

Nicely done, Moki-san. This will be very interesting to follow.

Best Regards, gents - B.B.S.

Thanks for doing this Moki! This is definitely going to be a fun one to watch... :thumbs:

Great idea Moki - This ought to be interesting, AND fun to watch.

-Doug

in reference to the water. I can smell the difference between my tap water and bottled water, no tasting required.

can't wait to see the results.

in reference to the water. I can smell the difference between my tap water and bottled water, no tasting required.

Have someone set up a blind taste test of your water and a few others sometime. See how well you really do... you might be surprised... :)

Just for the record that disagreement between Moki and I was a bit old and I would probably say some different things on the subject today. But I more or less agree with my basic points and I'm up to the test. I haven't read any of the other posts on the other sites and I don't think I'll bother. I'm sure the last guys were all just posers anyway. So sit back and enjoy as I teach all you guys a little something about tasting cigars. :rolleyes:

-mark (Fyodor: super taster extraordinaire)

Have someone set up a blind taste test of your water and a few others sometime. See how well you really do... you might be surprised... :)

we've done it, aquafina vs. arrowhead bottled vs. arrowhead r/o vs. fridge filter vs. tap

I got the tap, couldn't tell between arrowheads, and couldn't tell between the aquafina and fridge filter.

Our water is crap here, every time I brush my teeth and lean in to rinse I hold my breath to avoid gagging, nice.

back on topic, I hope the cigars smell and taste better than sunny southern california tap water!

I have Fyodor's address, so the package will go out tomorrow (Friday the 1st) via USPS DC# 0306 2400 0000 6841 8688

We should be gearing up early next week! woohooo!

I am watching this thread with great anticipation, but hey, no pressure Fyodor. Anyone want to set the over/under on how many he correctly guesses the country of origin?

Just for the record that disagreement between Moki and I was a bit old and I would probably say some different things on the subject today. But I more or less agree with my basic points and I'm up to the test. I haven't read any of the other posts on the other sites and I don't think I'll bother. I'm sure the last guys were all just posers anyway. So sit back and enjoy as I teach all you guys a little something about tasting cigars. :rolleyes:

Well, this is going to be fun. I hope you make everyone eat their words because that's a very presumptuous statement that may come back to haunt you ??? Good luck!

Brian

I've been hoping that this would happen pretty soon. Thanks for putting it together Moki!

I had my first Cohiba a few weeks ago, and surprisingly I didn't notice anything that really stood out to me. I was expecting a totally different profile than my normal domestic smokes, but it fell right in line with other quality sticks I've been smoking. Without a doubt, if you would have given me four cigars of Pepin, Tatuaje, LFD, etc. and an ISOM in a blind test, there is no way I could have told you which was the ISOM with anymore certainty than a random guess.

Maybe Fyodor will prove it a lie and be able to get them all right, but I really have my doubts that there is a very noticeable difference between cuban and non-cuban flavor profiles. We'll see...

D

Well, this is going to be fun. I hope you make everyone eat their words because that's a very presumptuous statement that may come back to haunt you ??? Good luck!

Brian

I think he was being facetious :)

This thread should be a lot of fun to watch over the next few weeks.
Moki's collection and expertise against Fyodor's taste-buds.

Moki, will you be providing feedback on each cigar right after it is smoked or will this be done only after all cigars are smoked?

This should be one for the ages. Looking forward to see how this plays out. Just glad it's not me. Although I was once able to tell the difference between the grape , watermelon and peach ones. :cool:

Anyone up for a little friendly betting on the amount he guesses correctly? Lets say two sticks in the eh... 5-10$ range? That means if we get 11 (0-10) people one with every number the winner gets 20 sticks!

Anyone up for this? I'll give Fyodor the benefit and say he'll get the 7/10 correct :D

This thread should be a lot of fun to watch over the next few weeks.
Moki's collection and expertise against Fyodor's taste-buds.

Moki, will you be providing feedback on each cigar right after it is smoked or will this be done only after all cigars are smoked?

Yes, just like this one.

>> Anyone up for a little friendly betting on the amount he guesses correctly? <<

The only fair way to get that many involved would be a blind draw of the numbers. 11 people ( or spots ) and a drawing of the numbers. If you can get this together, I would be glad store the sticks and draw the numbers, with witnesses of course.

Seth