• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Plasma or LCD ?

acruce

Looking at buying a new 65 " TV can't decide on which to buy Plasma or LCD.
Any input?

Plasma. Better blacks and contrast ratios at this point in time.

I was told that since I tend to leave my monitor on one constant picture(leave the DVD player on the root menu for a few hours) that I should go with LCD. If that isn't a problem for you...go with the plasma. Plasma has the better picture as AVB said. Or if money isn't an issue just buy both!!

Hope that helps?

Derek

Plasma. Better blacks and contrast ratios at this point in time.

x200

edited to add that I have a Panasonic Plasma HDTV (commercial version) and it's fantastic. Black blacks and great contrast, just like AVB said. I'll be buying a new 50" Panasonic Plasma HDTV soon. DirecTV in HD with the HD Plasma is a fantastic combo!

Good question, going through the same thing right now. Just not that big LOL. So far I leaning towards the Panasonic Plasma. Good Luck!!

Holy cow, 65"? That's a freaking huge TV! Personally, I prefer plasmas for the stated reasons. Plus, they're cheaper - significantly so when you get into the larger sizes - have better viewing angles, and have less motion blur.

I'm looking at picking up a new TV for my apartment next year, but I was thinking along the lines of 42 or 45! Plasma TVs are stunning, but the Sharp Aquos LCDs are very nice as well.

There's a new TV technology ready for mass distribution based up lasers. It looks like it will be really nice, check it out. It's an old video, but this stuff is finally coming to the mainstream.

I sport a 50" plasma and love it. I hear that the screen burns you refer to are old news and unless you leave something on there for like 2 days it won't happen.

I purchased (and replaced after theft) a 42" Panasonic plasma not too long ago. It is by far the best television I have ever had.

Image retention is not very noticeable at all and there is virtually zero chance of burn-in anymore since just about every plasma manufacturer uses some sort of method to resist it (pixel shift, etc.).

The plasma picture looks more "alive" and more "real" to me than the LCD I have in the other room. It is VERY nice.

I prefer the plasma picture to the LCD picture, but at that size I'd go rear projection, probably DLP.

I purchased (and replaced after theft) a 42" Panasonic plasma not too long ago. It is by far the best television I have ever had.

Image retention is not very noticeable at all and there is virtually zero chance of burn-in anymore since just about every plasma manufacturer uses some sort of method to resist it (pixel shift, etc.).

The plasma picture looks more "alive" and more "real" to me than the LCD I have in the other room. It is VERY nice.

This sounds like the exact same tv I have, and I love it. True black color, super sharp picture.

I wouldn't compare plasma vs. lcd as much as I'd compare brands and individual sets. A crappy plasma will look like crap compared to a nice lcd. Some LCD's have great contrast ratios at least to the point where you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but you have to do your research. Go to stores and look at a bunch... search reviews.. etc. They each have pros and cons.

With that said it seems like everyone is happy with whatever choices they made whether it's plasma, lcd, or dlp. I have a 55" sony wega rear proj. lcd that's several years old and it looks great. If you're buying that big though and dropping that amount of cash make sure you get one with 1080p capability beause Blu-Ray is not far off from becoming the new standard to the point of being so affordable everyone will have them and you might regret not being able to take advantage.

One other thing...when you go to the store to look, play with the settings. Most of them are set to "vivid" mode or something similarly named so they look nice under th bright lights. Some TVs look really good in that mode but look like total crapola when in regular viewing modes. If they won't let you change the settings, go somewhere else.

I bought a Samsung LCD near Christmas. Love the thing. I have no problem with Blacks or viewing angles. Get 1080P and a fast refrech rate!!!

The problem that I have read about plasma is that they start fading over time, but doesnt mean they are not a good TV.

I did a lot of reading before the purchase. I suggest you do the same.

The two plasma downsides that most people don't consider are energy and heat. The plasmas use a lot more electricity than LCDs. They also generate a lot of heat, so much so that it can actually affect the temperature of the room it is in. A buddy of mine has a 60" plasma and it actually makes the room a little warmer.

JK

LCD, the plasma might be better at the beginning but the picture gets worse as time goes on according to a lot of reviews.

A very important item to consider is the brightness of the room where you want to place the tv. If the room is somewhat darker, with very little direct sunlight, then the plasma may offer a better picture. If there is direct sunlight, or a lot of indirect light, then LCD is probably a better option.

Our family room has little direct sunlight and we went with a 52" plasma. It's great.

Not to bust on flamchop but spending the money on 1080P is only a good idea IF YOU CAN SEE IT. The human eye can only detect so much and there is no point in getting a great 1080P set and sitting 15' away. Here is the best info I've found on the subject. But hey, it's your money so spend what you want.

If you're buying that big though and dropping that amount of cash make sure you get one with 1080p capability beause Blu-Ray is not far off from becoming the new standard to the point of being so affordable everyone will have them and you might regret not being able to take advantage.

LCD will last longer and can double as a computer monitor..... have you ever seen avb in high def? I HAVE and its just as scary. I have a 42 inch and 37 inch LCD, bot are LG 1080P and both are amazing quality.... plus they were a lot cheaper than the same version that was plasma.