• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Perfecto Draw Issues

fegbri

fegbri
At first I thought it was my newness to the cigar world, but after my 3rd one, I am starting to wonder. I smoked my 3rd smaller perfecto last night and ended up quiting. Every one so far (2 Hemmingway short stories, and 1 Rocky patel) Has had the hardest draw and I was never able to get it lit properly. I started with a punch and then cut off the end, but still the hardest draw. And I noticed they all felt like they were packed tighter than a normal roll. It is not my humidor or the supplier because every other smoke (about 25) have smoked excellent (humi is 69/69 and 3 different suppliers). Please let me know if there is a technique to smoking these or if anyone else dislikes this size. Thanks!

(By perfecto I mean like the Hemmingways, normal foot, with tapered head)

At first I thought it was my newness to the cigar world, but after my 3rd one, I am starting to wonder. I smoked my 3rd smaller perfecto last night and ended up quiting. Every one so far (2 Hemmingway short stories, and 1 Rocky patel) Has had the hardest draw and I was never able to get it lit properly. I started with a punch and then cut off the end, but still the hardest draw. And I noticed they all felt like they were packed tighter than a normal roll. It is not my humidor or the supplier because every other smoke (about 25) have smoked excellent (humi is 69/69 and 3 different suppliers). Please let me know if there is a technique to smoking these or if anyone else dislikes this size. Thanks!

(By perfecto I mean like the Hemmingways, normal foot, with tapered head)

Most are meant to be smoked SLOWLY...until the cigar get's going.

As for the tight draw....to humid?

How far down are you clipping? Are you just 'taking the cap off'?

Hello and welcome to CP.

I have had some problems in the past, but not enough to make me stop smoking Hemingways. I am a little confused by your post. Normal foot... They are tapered as well. I have in the past clipped the foot a little to get the draw going. Also I don't punch cut these as they are narrow enough as is, just clipp'em.

Also I use a BIC over my torch to avoid running issues.

I would highly recommend to keep smoking the Hemingways as I think they awesome.

BTB, consider posting a post in the intro section so people around here get to know you.

Brandon

definitly not too humid, as every other cigar in my humi is perfect. I have about 40 in there now and all are great.

As far as clipping. I punched 1st, then clipped after the draw was next to none. I am well versed on punching and clipping, so it is not that...

And sorry about the head foot thing. I meant the tapered foot...

definitly not too humid, as every other cigar in my humi is perfect. I have about 40 in there now and all are great.

As far as clipping. I punched 1st, then clipped after the draw was next to none. I am well versed on punching and clipping, so it is not that...

I don't mean to imply anything by this but is it possible you are clipping and lighting the wrong end?

It would explain alot! :)

I don't mean to imply anything by this but is it possible you are clipping and lighting the wrong end?

It would explain alot! :)

Ok..I had to save this one...TOO FUNNY!

<but it's happened>

Very funny!!! I am a newbie(3 months) to cigars, not to the world! HA! I am smoking the wright ends. I have even seen pictures with the tapered ash. I am at a loss. Every one from petites, robustos, churchhills, torpedos...they all smoke perfect out of my humi! I don't get it...

I have one hemmingway short story maduro left, This will be the last one I try...But upon inspection it is very tightly rolled and not spongy at all! While all 40 others around it are perfect...

Very funny!!! I am a newbie(3 months) to cigars, not to the world! HA! I am smoking the wright ends. I have even seen pictures with the tapered ash. I am at a loss. Every one from petites, robustos, churchhills, torpedos...they all smoke perfect out of my humi! I don't get it...

I have one hemmingway short story maduro left, This will be the last one I try...But upon inspection it is very tightly rolled and not spongy at all! While all 40 others around it are perfect...

Then it;s just tight.

As Brian stated in Breedy's review(see hte review forum) try cutting it on a clight 45. It tends to open these up more than just s straight or even V cut.

:0 :0 :0 Send it to me and I'll test it. If it passes, I'll send you a guaranteed-to-draw short story.... :whistling:

Derek

:0 :0 :0 Send it to me and I'll test it. If it passes, I'll send you a guaranteed-to-draw short story.... :whistling:

Derek

I am almost tempted to!!

I second the advice about clipping off a bit of the foot. The draw opens up quicker that way.

You say you are a newbie to cigars. (3 months). I would wait quite some time to develop your pallette before lighting something as rare as a Short Story Maduro. You will most likely never smoke another, so you should be able to enjoy it to the fullest.
B

Most are meant to be smoked SLOWLY...until the cigar get's going.

As for the tight draw....to humid?

How far down are you clipping? Are you just 'taking the cap off'?

+1 on ALL the above!

Let the cigar get going first and just 'sip' at it to keep it lit until you get past the tapered foot. It'll burn more evenly that way, too.

Check your humidor's rH. Too much moisture tightens everything up a bit. Most B&M's keep their stock much too damp . . . keep your humidor at 65%, let everything you buy acclimate to that for a week or two before smoking, and you'll definitely notice the improvement.

With any tapered, pointy cap . . . a good sharp cutter is your friend. You want something you can take 1/64ths off at a time without tearing, until you get the draw you like.

~Boar

Thanks for all the replies! The cap on the short story is normal though, not tapered or pointy. That is why I punched it first. I will try the 45 degree slice on the next. My RH is around 68-69%. Using 65 Beads.

I'm a huge fan of the small perfecto size (Punch Champion, Best Seller, VSG Enchantment, etc.). I've had some burn problems to start out with quite a few of them as they can stall out while getting over the bulge but it almost always corrects itself. I've not had too many draw problems with the Short Stories I've had or any other small perfecto that I can recall. I usually punch the head of these and don't have many problems. Hope you find out what it is so you can enjoy these beautifully shaped cigars.

Now you all have me thinking I wasted 3 cigars! Ha! I will let the Short story maduro sit for about another week and give it a try. I will be VERY patient this time to get it going...

So I understand. The pre-lit draw will be a little tight due to the tapered foot, right?

Now you all have me thinking I wasted 3 cigars! Ha! I will let the Short story maduro sit for about another week and give it a try. I will be VERY patient this time to get it going...

So I understand. The pre-lit draw will be a little tight due to the tapered foot, right?

You might also want to consider dry boxing it for 12 hours or so before smoking. This may loosen up the draw a bit.

I will try that, Thanks!

Also, it is a WOAM I have, not a short story. Pretty excited now...

To dry box I am assuming you put it in a dry box? (WOW, do I feel stupid asking that question! :)

I will try that, Thanks!

Also, it is a WOAM I have, not a short story. Pretty excited now...

To dry box I am assuming you put it in a dry box? (WOW, do I feel stupid asking that question! :)

In essence yeah. If you have an empty cigar box that should be good. You could just let it sit out of the humidor but some people prefer to keep it in some sort of box.

Thanks guys. You actually got me thinking about my humidor, so I went home last night and noticed my cigars seemed like they were getting firmer. My RH was at 70%. I have two tubes of 65 beads (one on top one on bottom) and I left the green sponge humidifier in the bottom from seasoning. So I took out the humidifier and just left in the beads. Hopefully that will drop the RH and make it perfect. Thanks for the help and I will keep you all updated.