• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Perdomo Edicion de Silvio Torpedo No.2 review

moki

el Presidente
perdomo_eds_torpedo_no2.jpg

Freud was right. Sometimes a cigar is not just a cigar. Sometimes a cigar is an experience.

The box that the Perdomo Edicion de Silvio Torpedo No.2's came in was impressive enough, but when I took the first cigar out of the box, I had the feeling I was in for something special.

This gorgeous torpedo is rolled tightly, with skin that has a glowing golden brown color -- magnificent to behold! -- tapering down into an oddly thin, irregular tip. I'd taken my box of these beauties to my local cigar shop to put them in the locker I have rented there, so I borrowed the house cutter, snipped the end off (pinching my hand rather badly), and proceeded to light it up.

The first puffs were a remarkable buttery, creamy, spicy blend that reminded me of butterscotch initially, followed quickly by peppery notes that built up to a crescendo of flavor in my mouth. Woah. Part of the way through, I started to taste a nutty flavor that seems similar to the Padrón Anniversary series, but with significantly more spiciness to it.

The remarkable thing about this cigar is that it feels like you have an orchestra of flavors at your fingertips. I have never in my life had a cigar that had so many distinct flavors to it: sweetness, nuttiness, leather undertones, spicy pepper, citrus, cedar, and even the surprising flavor of toasted popcorn!

You are the maestro of this symphony; by altering how much smoke you draw in, and how often you draw it, you can bring out the different flavors at will. This cigar can be anything from sweet and smooth to spicy and bold. It's like a singer with an extraordinary tonal range at your beck an call to conduct as you please, but no matter what you ask of it, the flavors remain harmonious.

Drawing it in deeply slowly builds up a pepper taste that envelopes your entire mouth, transitioning adroitly to a a creamy nutty sweetness that leaves your entire mouth tingling. Not since I had my first Padrón (a 1926 serie) have I been so totally surprised and blown away by a cigar.

I found myself playing like a schoolboy, experimenting with the wide range of flavors I could extract from this cigar... and then I realized that I was *flying*. I don't know if it was the cigar, the coffee I was drinking, or how tired I was, but this cigar floored me. It's a deceptive little sweety: so wonderfully smooth that you don't even notice you're being taking for a ride on the Magic Bus.

I didn't even pay attention to the snow-white ash, and I assume it burned perfectly since I never had to re-light it. I was hanging on for dear life towards the end, and loved every minute of it. I didn't get out of my seat for 20 minutes after I'd put this smoke out. Wow. I think I'm in love.

Find this cigar. Try it. You will not be disappointed. This is indeed a worthy tribute to Silvio Perdomo.

Nice review. So where do these rank compared to your beloved Padrons?

lucasbuck said:
Nice review. So where do these rank compared to your beloved Padrons?
Hard to say; they Padróns are much "deeper" in flavor, but this cigar was more surprising. I think it's like picking between your favorite beer and your favorite wine. What you choose depends on your mood.

I've yet to find a Perdomo that I would smoke more than once, but this does sound promising.....hmmmmm...... Wonder if anyone's selling fivers? :)

psyktek said:
I've yet to find a Perdomo that I would smoke more than once, but this does sound promising.....hmmmmm...... Wonder if anyone's selling fivers? :)
I don't *think* I've ever had a perdomo before this one, so I can't compare it to others out there. It was an amazing cigar though, I'd highly recommend it.

As for selling them in 5-packs, I don't know if they do that. They come in a special chest, and I don't know if most dealers break it open to sell the smokes out individually or not. Be warned, it is an expensive cigar.

I picked up a robusto for $20.00 + tx.
If you still want them i'll see if they still have them. :)

Bobbyson1a said:
I picked up a robusto for $20.00 + tx.
If you still want them i'll see if they still have them. :)
niiiiiice. Smoke it!! Tell us what you think.

Yeah - they're out there as singles... one local shop was selling them as singles and selling the empty box(es) separately for $200 :D

Another shop wasn't selling them at all, just giving singles away to customers that spend too much money with them.

I picked up 3 total, but am giving them some time before trying one.

They were gone within a week or two of launch, though...

- Oak

Amazing review to match what appears to be and amazing cigar.

Well said.

AJ_

Smoked a robusto tonight WOW Moki you hit the nail on the head with
your review. :D

Bobbyson1a said:
Smoked a robusto tonight WOW Moki you hit the nail on the head with
your review. :D
Nice stuff, isn't it? :D

Aight bro... I lit it up as you so insistantly (is that even a word?) requested.

Wheeee! It's a great smoke. By far the best Perdomo I've ever smoked. Of course, that's not saying much. I've had some BAD experiences with Perdomos so anything better than nasty would be a step up. :D

But that sells this cigar short. It's EXCELLENT. Very much what I like in a cigar were present in this one. It has a rather complex, earthy flavor. The smoke was rich and smooth. It never varied much for me, though... I thought that perhaps the flavor profile would change as the smoke progressed. What I felt after puff 5 was the same as I felt after the last puff.

I wish I could've smoked this ALL the way down. Unfortunately, it started raining... and I had to cut it short. I had about 3/4in left so not too bad.

Would I pay the $$$ for it? Probably not... but if it could be gotten around $10-14, then yeah.

Overall score: 88 out of 100

:thumbs:

vewyphishy said:
But that sells this cigar short. It's EXCELLENT. Very much what I like in a cigar were present in this one. It has a rather complex, earthy flavor. The smoke was rich and smooth. It never varied much for me, though... I thought that perhaps the flavor profile would change as the smoke progressed. What I felt after puff 5 was the same as I felt after the last puff.
Glad you enjoyed it! I'm surprised that you didn't get the flavor variance that I did -- I was able to get that by varying how much I puffed on it -- a bunch of quick puffs, and holy Jalapeno!!

Still, it seems like you had a good time with it. I think it's a great cigar.

psyktek said:
I'm pretty much of the same opinion regarding Perdomo. I recently purchased a couple of "super limited" estate Seleccions ( box pressed Rhombus). I can't say I've ever had a more paiinful smoking experience, and I do mean physically painful. I'm holding the other one in my humidor to see if it mellows a bit with age. While I'm waiting, I'm having a hard time being inspired by any of the myriad other cigars they sell. Perhaps the Silvio will change my mind. But at the price they seem to be going for, I'd rather buy out my dealer's remaining 1985 Zino Veritases.

Feel the gin

Holy ****. I have smoked a few Estate cigars. 2 Pyramide and one Robust sive(I think). All 3 were great. Good pulls and plent of smoke, great flavor!!!

Emo

I'll find one of these yet and try it. I like most perdomo's. Smoking an Exclusivo now.

AVB said:
Here's a place with that includes one in a Sampler
Wow, that looks like a pretty good deal -- you get a Padrón 1926 No.1 Natural, a Fonseca Reserve Especial Sun Grown, and a Perdomo Edicion de Silvio Torpedo No.2 for $50. Thanks for pointing it out, AVB!