• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

VewyPhishy - fake cigars

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
It is unfortunate that I have to post this, however it has to be done. I and a couple of others purchased cigars back in January this year from VewyPhishy, a long time member of CigarPass. As for myself, when I received the cigars, I did a quick inspection and put them in a singles box where I kept other EL cigars of this caliber. Due to the time this person had on the board, I felt very comfortable with the purchase and trusted they were legitimate.

Robbie (MiamiPadronSmoker) also purchased like cigars from him and recently picked up more of these same Marca/Vitola. Upon comparing them, he found a difference in the ones purchased from VewyPhishy, and forwarded the information to some others to confirm his suspicions. The DC EL cigars he received in VewyPhishy’s purchase turns out to be fake. I learned of this and after checking mine, I found they too were fake. (Pictures are below, in first PM to VewyPhishy)

In one of Phishy’s responses back, he went as far as to imply that the band may be fake, however the cigars were legitimate. So, I put fire to one of mine and found it was absolutely awful, like smoking sweetened cardboard. After about a quarter inch, I clipped off the fire and began dissecting it. (Pictures of dissection are in my final PM to VewyPhishy, further down). Here is another example, this one not as good a fake, however you can see the similarities.

Robbie, Rod, and myself contacted VewyPhishy via PM, below are the PM’s I sent as well as what he responded with (I understand some may not like the fact that I’m posting PM’s here, however I as well as others agreed it was appropriate in this instance).

From Kingantz to Vewyphishy
Cohibas..., Jun 11 2009, 05:47 PM

Evening,

I was made aware the last couple of days that cigars I purchased from you may be fake. I checked on the cigars and although I don't have any other Double Coronas at the moment, I do have other Cohiba ELs to compare the band with. The first three pictures are of the Double Corona, I have yours on the right.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

These are of the Sublime, yours on the left with another Sublime on the right. The bands are different in color, the font boldness off, and the white squares different, however the real difference is in the ring gauge, yours being smaller and the length longer.

Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 7

I have to admit, I didn't pay it any attention when I received these cigars from you due to your tenure here on the board. Maybe naive, however I very much trusted that these were the real thing. I do regret having to send this information to you, however I'm sure you can understand that this is something that should be made right.

Sincerely,

Greg

From Vewyphishy to Kingantz
Re:Cohibas..., Jun 11 2009, 07:18 PM

Hello Greg,

I've already taken this up with Rod and shared with him my vendors and sources. To have a newbie question my integrity is ridiculous. I have never passed along fakes. 5+ years of history here (less some time away) has proven that time and time again. Feel free to read up on my history and reputation. Every batch of cigars vary slightly from one to another. I have several Sublimes (and other brands/vitolas) from different batches that vary slightly in length and gauge - all from the same vendor. Thats what happens with handrolled cigars.

The cigars that I passed along to you came directly from one of the most reputable vendors on the board. How are you certain the cigars you are comparing to are legit? I can easily turn this around on you or Rob but there's no need for that. Variance is an accepted fact.

I came back in hopes that the previous drama that plagued the board had subsided. Clearly, it has not. My attempt to offer up some older sticks was clearly met with some ungrateful individuals.

I encourage you to ask any of the older members like lucasbuck, moki... I dealt with these guys all the time.

I'm not going to address this any further. There's absolutely nothing to make right because that would imply something was wrong to begin with.

Take care Greg. Enjoy my legit cigars and my advive - let the b.s. fall by the wayside.
Michael

VewyPhishy disabled his PM’s after I sent him my last PM, however Rod opened his box back up and I sent him this final message:

From Kingantz to VewyPhishy
Cohibas..., June 13, 2009, 06:01 PM

I'm going to give this one last try Michael, then I'll be done. I took your direction and went to one of the long time members you mentioned, at first simply showing him the pictures without telling him where they came from. He responded that the cigar on the right (the DC I received in your sale) is definitely fake. So, I asked him and he confirmed, which is what you wanted me to do, right? I went back afterward and explained what was going on, and responded he had sent you email (it's an old address, so you may not have received it). There are several other very reputable, long time folks I have brought into this and all agree the cigars are fake.

Yesterday evening, I put fire to the DC received from you and it was awful tasting. Like cardboard with a tad bit of sweetness to it. After a quarter inch in, I clipped off the fire and began dissecting the cigar and have added pics for you to see below. Michael, there's no way possible at this point you're going to be able to deny this cigar was a fake. And rest assured this is the cigar you sent me as I've not purchased any other Cohiba DC since that time.

Now, I myself am willing to let your previous comments go to the wayside and give you one last chance to step up to the plate as a true BOTL would and make this right. I have not, and am not now making any accusation that you purposefully sold me, or anyone else fakes. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that you did it completely unkowingly. As the long time member and very reliable source of rare, HTF and CC cigars stated in PM, your very trusted vendor could've gotten several fakes mixed up with legitimate sticks. Whatever the case, it's now in your hands. I await your response.

The wrapper removed

DSC06287.jpg

Binder

DSC06289.jpg

With the binder removed

DSC06297.jpg

DSC06302.jpg

I tried to unravel it best I could, however it was just...a mess

DSC06309.jpg

DSC06312-1.jpg

DSC06318-1.jpg

DSC06313.jpg

DSC06317-1.jpg

DSC06323-1.jpg

We have received no response from VewyPhishy since this PM, which was sent on the 13th. He signed on to CP the following morning around 8:00 a.m., so either read the message and ignored it or just deleted it. After his responses, and now his non-response, we felt there was no other alternative but to post this publicly. We would very much like for VewyPhishy to still make this right.

Mike the solution here is very simple. Refund us our money ASAP. You have had more than enough time already. All the EL Cohibas you sold me are fake.

From Vewyphishy to Kingantz
Re:Cohibas..., Jun 11 2009, 07:18 PM

Hello Greg,

I've already taken this up with Rod and shared with him my vendors and sources. To have a newbie question my integrity is ridiculous. I have never passed along fakes. 5+ years of history here (less some time away) has proven that time and time again. Feel free to read up on my history and reputation. Every batch of cigars vary slightly from one to another. I have several Sublimes (and other brands/vitolas) from different batches that vary slightly in length and gauge - all from the same vendor. Thats what happens with handrolled cigars.

The cigars that I passed along to you came directly from one of the most reputable vendors on the board. How are you certain the cigars you are comparing to are legit? I can easily turn this around on you or Rob but there's no need for that. Variance is an accepted fact.

I came back in hopes that the previous drama that plagued the board had subsided. Clearly, it has not. My attempt to offer up some older sticks was clearly met with some ungrateful individuals.

I encourage you to ask any of the older members like lucasbuck, moki... I dealt with these guys all the time.

I'm not going to address this any further. There's absolutely nothing to make right because that would imply something was wrong to begin with.

Take care Greg. Enjoy my legit cigars and my advive - let the b.s. fall by the wayside.
Michael
This pm is pure bullshit. I don't care how tenured a member you are, if someone comes to you with a problem like this, you don't just brush them away like a pest. I love the way he's tried to spin the blame back around on the two of you trying to create "drama".

I also feel this is one of the times a pm should be put out in public view.

No matter the tenure of an individual on this board. This is no way to treat a fellow BOTL. This needs to be rectified promptly and to everyone's satisfaction. This goes to show, that anything can happen...FOG or not.

A few things... first, I know Vewyphishy (Michael), and I think he's a good guy. Unfortunately, these situations happen sometimes. I've unwittingly had fake cigars too. I know Michael stated he received the cigars from a known, trusted vendor, but sometimes cigars get mixed up. Who knows.

I looked at the pictures of the cigars, and I have some comments on them. But first I want to say that I don't have first hand knowledge of what cigars Vewyphishy sent to KingAntz. Sometimes cigars get mixed up, etc, etc. So I'm staying entirely out of the discussion in terms of exactly what transpired, I'll leave that up to KingAntz and VewyPhishy.

What I will say is that this cigar on the right:

DSC06230.jpg

Is undeniably fake. Look at the C in "Cuba" on the band. Notice how the ligature crosses the bottom of the C? Now look at the C in the cigar on the left. This isn't just wrong as in a misprint, or wrong as in "Well, shit happens in Cuba"... it's the wrong typeface. This is not a mistake, it's a fake.

Thus I was entirely unsurprised to see the dissection of this cigar reveal short filler; it's a fake. Indeed, I've seen it before (look at the C in Cuba again).

Hopefully this will all get sorted out amicably.

Regardless of your tenure, if anyone has a problem with something you've sold, it needs to be rectified.

Hmmmmm...now I know why I was asked about the smokes I bought.

DC EL x2
Sublime EL x2
Robusto

So...the DC and the Sublime are in question?

Let's withhold some of the 3rd party comments and allow Michael to rectify this situation with the parties involved. Hopefully Michael acknowledges the fact that these cigars are indeed fake, and does the right thing.

Is the tell-tale "C" font error present in the Sublime bands as well?

Thanks Ed, I would still like to know about the band please.

Unfortunately, you get the same crap at the Jamaican resorts . . . lesson learned after the fact. :(

DSC03341.jpg

It is the proper C Phil. I actually mentioned that I wasn't 100% sure on the Sublimes as the bands are very similar to the real deal. However, the ring gauge is smaller and length longer. Any thoughts on the Sublimes are much appreciated. I can definitely put fire to one and see how it smokes, do a dissection if warranted.

Won't be at a computer till later but the sublimes are a 51 RG. Nice bands but fake cigar. I will post detailed pics tonight as well as Mikes PM's if he doesn't surface.

It is the proper C Phil. I actually mentioned that I wasn't 100% sure on the Sublimes as the bands are very similar to the real deal. However, the ring gauge is smaller and length longer. Any thoughts on the Sublimes are much appreciated. I can definitely put fire to one and see how it smokes, do a dissection if warranted.

I've seen plenty of length and ring gauge variations to not base authenticity on it alone, but it being in a batch sold with fake DCs, I would ask for my money back. Forget about putting it to torch, get a refund. To imply that a band is fake, but the cigar authentic...really? You should be asking for you money back just for him insulting your intelligence.

I've seen plenty of length and ring gauge variations to not base authenticity on it alone, but it being in a batch sold with fake DCs, I would ask for my money back. Forget about putting it to torch, get a refund. To imply that a band is fake, but the cigar authentic...really? You should be asking for you money back just for him insulting your intelligence.
That, without a doubt, was the most outrageous statement I've ever read on this board. The band is fake, but the cigar is real. That's just bilge. Make this right phishy. Immediately if not sooner.

Doc.