• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Talisker 10 yo Scotch from Skye

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Talisker 10 yo Scotch from the Isle of Skye, Standard bottle, box packaging, 750 ml, 91.6 proof, about $40. The only single malt scotch from the Isle of Skye.

Talisker%2010.JPG

We trundled off to Hershey Park today to ride the coasters eat over-priced junk food and be trampled by the crowds but it was worth it :thumbs: Great day with temps in the low 70's and the lines were fairly reasonable except for the new Storm Rider coaster where there was a 2 hour wait. I'll catch it next time.

Once we got home and kicked back a bit I poured myself a glass of this liquid gold. Talisker is a medium amber drink in color with a heavily smoky, pungent, sweet, full and well-rounded nose. The pepperiness (is that a word?) comes through loud and clear . The first taste begins a huge build up of spiciness that just starts and keeps on coming again and again. The sweetnes plays at the edges of malt and spice shifing your attention back and forth letting you discover new flavors and textures as the finish slowly, very slowly goes away.

Make no mistake, this is a serious whisky and not recommended for the beginner. However, if you are a fan of the Isle scotches this is a classic, every bit as good as the Laphroaig 30 but in a different way. I don't think there is any other 10 yo Scotch as highly rated by the experts. If you drink Scotch you already have this on your shelf, if you don't you soon will. As the English say, "An ACE!"

Nearing the end of my drink I fired up an Oliva Bold Maduro........damn near a perfect compliment to this Scotch.

Just pushing it up to the top.

Great review again, AVB. For this price, I'll have to pick up a bottle. Gregor

Yep, it really is one you shouldn't miss, especially at the $40 range.

The every bit as good as the 30yo Laphroig got my attention. What type of glass do you use, ie: a special single malt, or rocks??

:thumbs: This was my first single malt purchase a few months back. I really like the smokiness. Makes it taste much more distinct to me than most scotches.

gregor22 said:
The every bit as good as the 30yo Laphroig got my attention. What type of glass do you use, ie: a special single malt, or rocks??
I used to use a brandy snifter but I picked up some of these a few months ago. They really help with the nosing and do seem to be better in terms of bringing out the flavors.

scotch%20glass.jpg

Another great review AVB :thumbs: I have not yet gotten around to picking up a bottle yet but I have had it in my hand prior to walking up to the register. Next time I will have to make sure that it makes it way to checkout

fits my tasting notes pretty close. As it pertains to this scotch, yes, peppery works, this is the single malt answer to Absolut Peppar lol

PaulMac

AVB said:
gregor22 said:
I used to use a brandy snifter but I picked up some of these a few months ago. They really help with the nosing and do seem to be better in terms of bringing out the flavors.

scotch%20glass.jpg
Wondered if these were worth the money. Sounds like they are. Thanks, AVB for the "heads up".

My uncle gave me a bottle of this on Christmas eve last year. He said it was too peaty for him. Well, after the first couple of glasses, I was hooked.

I love Talisker on the rocks and it's goes well with Ashton VSG's, Opus X, etc. I'm almost out now, time for more!

Nice review AVB! ;)

Damn, I smoked my first VSG in a while tonight... wish you posted this earlier, I would have poured myself a glass of Talisker. :)

Leebe, Maybe you'd be interested in this if you like really peaty scotch.

Can't do it this week, but who knows about next week.... ;)

I'm not ordering until the 15th, you'd have to mail payment by the 7th I'd guess.

Might have to give this one another go. Tried it years ago and didn't care for it but I was pretty new to single malts at the time.

A very nice whisky and a very nice distillery to visit, though a little isolated. i was able to get them to open the shop up as they were doing work when we visited in 2003. Bought a minature while there just to drink in the car park while admiring the distillery, nothing like dramming while be at the place of its birth.

TALISKER (Isle of Skye)
10 year
45.8%
Nose: Leather, peat, glue with a touch of water: leather, peat.
Body: Peaty, wet wood.
Finish: Peat, treacle. Strong, peaty, warming, proper peaty whisky. 7.5

TALISKER (Isle of Skye)
Distillers Edition
Double Matured.

Much smoother than OB with a lot of salty sweetness, woody. 7.5

Always nice to see somebody reading the old reviews. :D

I know I went through a bottle of this in the past, but I don't recall it very well... I will have to re-try this one again