• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Remote Digital Hygrometer on Clearance at Target

durin

Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster :)

In case anyone is interested, Target has the Oregon Scientific RMR603HGA Wireless Thermo-Hygrometer on clearance 50% off for $14.99. I picked one up yesterday here in upstate NY and there were a few left, figured it'd be great to leave on my desk so I can check on my (still in progress) coolerdor without even going into the closet. They are going for $34.99 at amazon.com.

B0006VBBCO.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I have used this system since 2001 and it has served me well. That is a great deal for a good product.

To anyone reading this I say DEFINITELY buy this item!! I have 3 of the remote sensors and one read out base. I paid over $25 for them and think that $14.99 is a steal! You won't be sorry.

Before this item I used the smallish Little Havana hygrometer. Now I'm pretty much exlusive to this.

Darren

Went to my local Target today looking for this item. Unfortunatly they only had the indoor/outdoor temperature gage left and some massive weather station complete w/ predictions. :angry2: On my way out I asked where the next closest Target was and was on my way, after picking up a AF Bestseller and HdM Excalibur at a nearby shop. The second target didn't even have the temp gage, only the weather station for $28.99. So I hit up yet another shop for a Old Powder Keg. I'm up (3) cigars for the day, but down some gas and a lot of time. :(
129_2985.jpg

Noob question...

Do you put the sensor inside a humidor and place the unit with the readout on a desk or something? Would the IR signal go send the data through a closed humidor?

Since I am new to humidors, I find myself opening my humidor every now and then to check temp/humidity. A glass top would have done the trick, but I didn't think of that when I got it.

Noob question...

Do you put the sensor inside a humidor and place the unit with the readout on a desk or something? Would the IR signal go send the data through a closed humidor?

yes

i picked up 2 at target tonight for 20 bucks each.

Noob question...

Yes... what the "intended" use of the device is so that you could place the sensor outside your house and get the temp and humidity on your desk. This particular unit can cycle between up to 3 sensors so if you wanted to purchase extra sensors you could use one desk unit on multiple humidors.

Sorry you couldn't find it CasaSoho, once things get up to 50% off at my local Target I find they go pretty fast.

Our Target didn't have any, but I went to Wal-Mart and they had a similar unit for $19.99. The brand was Acu-Rite

They also had small digital hygrometer/temps for $6.87 so I picked one of those up to see if it's any good. I think the brand name was Springfield Precise Temp.

Picked up three on clearance for $7.48 EACH!!! I almost shit myself when I saw the price.. was marked down twice. Now, on to the hunt for more of these! :laugh:

slevy007

If anybody can get an extra one of these at the reduced price I'd be glad to purchase it from them or trade some smokes. Our Target never even carried that particular model according to the manager there. The only remote sensor unit that they have is about $40.

If this is considered bad form please let me know. If no one is interested, no problem.

:)

I went to a second Target in town and they didn't have any either. They had the other ones on clearance that just do temperature, but not the one with the humidity :0

I mentioned in my previous post "IR" but the one I bought from Wal-Mart is RF (radio frequency). Is the Target one RF?

I tested the unit with my other digital hygrometer and it was about 1-2% difference, no big deal. But when I put the remote into my desktop humidor, along with my digital hygrometer, it never updated the display outside. It still listed 45% while the digital hygrometer inside showed 66%.

The remote unit always showed this 45%, so I am guessing the signal is not passing through my humidor (although the temperature was right on). Any suggestions?

grabbed mine for 14.98, and a digital timer for 10.48. thanks for the heads up on this :thumbs:

Is the Oregon model from Target receiving the humidity from the remote, inside the humidor? Or is it receiving the humidity from the desktop base itself?

The Accu-Rite that I got from Walmart, I posted was always showing me the humidity of 45% and not changing when the remote was placed in the humidor (only the temperature).

Turns out, on mine, the base desktop piece is where the humidity sensor is, not on the remote. So if I stick the base into the humidor, I get a accurate reading. In other words, the remote sensor does not pick up the humidity, the base does. The remote is only sensing the temperature.

So the Wal-Mart one is useless for me.

Is the Oregon model from Target receiving the humidity from the remote, inside the humidor? Or is it receiving the humidity from the desktop base itself?

The Oregon one has a humidity sensor in both the desktop base and the remote.

McPhenius,
the base can do both. Not only does it have a sensor of its own but it displays up to 3 readings from remote hygrometers.

Darren

Ah.... I better read the instructions! I know the package said I could have 3 "channels" for remotes. Right now it shows "Channel 1", so I assume that is the base. I took the battery out of the remote and only the base temperature ("indoor" and humidity) was reading. So I assume I might be able to tell my unit to read off the remote.?. I'll grab the instructions out.

The Oregon one has a humidity sensor in both the desktop base and the remote.

With a large, illuminated LCD screen and a wireless monitor, this weather station tracks indoor and outdoor temperatures and humidity levels. It can collect data from as many as three remote sensors. (Additional sensors are sold separately.) The station also serves as a radio-controlled clock--displaying time, date, and day of the week. It also automatically synchronizes with the U.S. Atomic Clock and adjusts for Daylight Savings Time. The LCD has a blue HiGlo electroluminescent backlight, making it easy to read at night. In addition there's a dual-crescendo alarm with a snooze function. The station measures 5 by 4-1/2 by 2 inches, and can rest on a countertop or hang on the wall.

From the Manufacturer
Oregon Scientific keeps you in touch - know the indoor and outdoor temperature, precise time and date at a glance with the RMR603HGA Wireless Weather Station and Self-Setting Clock. Unit also displays the humidity in a graphical format to help you predict future weather. A wireless remote sensor transmits outdoor readings to the main unit within a 100 foot range. The self-setting atomic clock accurately sets itself via radio transmissions - never needs adjusting - and features a crescendo alarm with snooze function and a calendar.

Product Description
displays indoor/outdoor temperature and humidity * remote wireless sensor with LCD * built-in clock and calendar * automatically sets itself to the U. S. Atomic Clock * 100-foot range between main unit and remote sensor *

Looks like the Oregon unit will display from 3 different remote sensors and the base unit. You have to cycle through the display via the buttons. You have to set the channel on the sensor.

Anyways, I just picked up the last 3 units at my local target for $14.98 each and I only need 2 of them at most. :)

I already have one of the Radio shack wireless units. I'll see if it will talk to one of the new remotes or if the new base will talk to the old sensor. I think that the Radio Shack models were made by Oregon.

If either base unit talks to the 2 different sensors, I'll have 2 of the units up for anybody that wants them. If not, I'll have 1 of the Oregon and possibly the Radio Shack unit up for grabs. :D

Anyone know the accuracy of these units?

I bought one that came with a sensor, then bought two extra sensors that are different to the original set. They work great just haven't tested them for accuracy.

Brian

I did find two at the last Target in our area. They were $20.99 though, but I picked them up. They do read from each sensor as well as the base via cycling through them. But the Wal-Mart unit only reads from the base, so that is going back.

I'm not sure about the accuracy. One reading they are right on with one of my "more accurate" hygrometers, then another reading hours later, they are 5% off. Then hours later they are 1% off, etc.