• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cao Criollo

Matty_Vegas

Wayne Newton Mafia Boss
I had been starring at this damn Criollo for months in my humidor trying not to smoke it. I am a fan of all the CAO smokes except for the MX2 and the Soprano (don't bother). I finally decided I would light it up and give it a shot. I opened a nice frothy bottle of Provo girl all the way from Utah for the occasion (thanks Tone). The snip of the tip went well without a hitch, all the pre smoke indicators were there, a view from the foot looked nice and solid, no giant viens protuding out, smooth wrapper and the lot. A quick light from a wood match from The Yardhouse (my favourote spot in Pasadena). Early into the smoke I came to a stunning conclusion, that I was going to have to take one for the team!!! Everyone has been smoking grape white owls and Moontraces, so I figured I would do my civic duty and finish this abomination.
The Cao criollo is what I like to call a "Fad Cigar", but what it actually is, is a "Bad Cigar", the funky Criollo wrapper made it taste, well...funky??
This stick of doom might just be the worst cigar I have smoked this year. I had to go through 2 more Provo girls (thanks again Tone ny) just to finish the thing. To describe the flavour of this stick would really do it a injustice, so open up the trunk of your car..place your tounge on the edge of it, and have a fat person jump on your trunk repeatedly, and then drink some gasoline, and only then, will your epicurian suicide be complete.

I apologize in advance for any grammar or spelling mistakes, I was draft my fantasy football team when I wrote this.

Slainte,
Matt Vegas

There are no professionals on this board that do reviews.
We are all therefore, amateurs at doing reviews. Wilkey could
change his vocation and become a professional reviewer but I
doubt he has that on his mind at this time.

Nevertheless, thanks for the review, I have listed the CAO Criollo
in my "never smoke this cigar" list. ;)

Brian

I disagree with you regarding The Soprano, but I agree with you about the Criollo!

-Rob

I have to agree with Rob and love the Soprano as well. Have not tried the Criollo and not sure I will after that review! - Dan

Crap... I have one staring at me in the humi as well!!! :0

That's a hell of a review Matt!!! :thumbs:

David

Dang,

You guys are busting on some decent smokes. Get 6 months on a larger gauge Criollo and it becomes a tasty little cigar with a unique, pleasant tang to it.

If you really want to try a weird tasting smoke, any of the Montecristo Afrique will fit that bill. One of the oddest, yeasty, stale toast sticks I've ever had the misfortune of smoking. Oh yeah, and it has a tissue thin wrapper that splits and unwinds if you even look at it funny.

Entertaining review though.

Wilkey

Dang,

You guys are busting on some decent smokes. Get 6 months on a larger gauge Criollo and it becomes a tasty little cigar with a unique, pleasant tang to it.

If you really want to try a weird tasting smoke, any of the Montecristo Afrique will fit that bill. One of the oddest, yeasty, stale toast sticks I've ever had the misfortune of smoking. Oh yeah, and it has a tissue thin wrapper that splits and unwinds if you even look at it funny.

Wilkey

I try not to smoke any cigar that will remind of elephants

True Wilkey,
Most of the CAO products I have experienced have benefited TREMENDOUSLY from a few months of time in the humi.
The Criollo was very fresh when I burned it.

-Rob

I agree! The Criollo sucks! I could not even finish half of one. A CAO rep gave me a few to try and I got a kick out of telling him that they totally suck when I saw him again. The box they come in even sucks. :laugh:

I think the Criollo is the only decent cigar in the CAO line with the exception of the Bazilia but I let them sit in the coolidor for over a year before I got into them. I have to agree though, CAO needs some serious help on most of their lines.

I think the Criollo is the only decent cigar in the CAO line with the exception of the Bazilia but I let them sit in the coolidor for over a year before I got into them. I have to agree though, CAO needs some serious help on most of their lines.

Obviously you have never smoke any of the Italia line...maybe a few should be sent your way...

....interestingly enough, the only cigar I've ever smoked that made me woozy enough that I had to lay down was...a CAO Criollo. I don't recall anything about the taste, I was too busy sweating and trying not to puke.... :whistling:

Never again - B.B.S.

Dang,

Wilkey

I agree, but I like the Criollo Pampa(4 x 40) for a quick smoke during my lunch hour.

Obviously you have never smoke any of the Italia line...maybe a few should be sent your way...

I smoked on the of the Italias that came in the commemorative set, but don't remember it standing out. However, that was almost two years ago. Actually, I have to amend that just a bit. I do like the maduro tubos(again, with some age on them).

BTW, glad to see you are still alive.

Nate

Dude, you still have beer left from the Vegas trip? That my friend is called restraint! I would have polished those bad boys by now, enjoy.

I recently went to Cedar City and picked up another microbrew from the same co-op but from a differnet brewery, and have been drinking that. I think I still have about 6 left.

Interesting. The CAO Criollo seems to be a smoke that you either like or really hate. I gifted one to Jabba and he almost quit smoking cigars after having it. :laugh:

I have to agree with Matty, the CAO Italia was my favorite CAO and I've tried the Brazilia, Soprano, MX2 and CX2.

...and only then, will your epicurian suicide be complete.

Awesome.

I don't think I've ever smoked a CAO of any breed, and between this review and the recent poo-pooing of the Soprano it isn't high on my list (excapt perhaps the Italia.)

The brand has always stuck me as more about the gimick than the smoke.

Thanks for the review!

Most of the reviews i've seen of the Soprano have been pretty positive, just not popular at that price point.

I have a few Criollo in the humi now, was gonna smoke one next week. Think i'll let it rest a few months though after the reviews.

Disagree and agree!

Disagree on the soprano line. Good but just not worth the price tied to it for the endorsement.

Definitely Agree on the Criollo. Horrible. I think it was the first "premuim" that I actually didn't finish based on the taste. Up until this one I always finished even if they were pretty bad. This one I couldn't do. I am guessing it was fairly fresh but even still..