• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Panacea Black Label Maduro Perfecto Cigar Review

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Please post your review of the Panacea Black Label Maduro Perfecto cigar here.

First off Rod, Thanks for the opportunity to try this out & for the contest.
Now for my very first review, hope you like it...  :whistling:

http://youtu.be/TCipcr2Zoms

No encoding Daryl, just post the link and it's good to go.

Excellent job Daryl! I love how the rain storm blew over and you didn't skip a beat. 

Well Done,
Paul

Thanks Paul, I was beginning to wonder if I was going to make it.
After your review, I knew I'd enjoy this cigar... So I pushed on through.

Nice job Daryl! Great review! :thumbs:

Cigar:  Panacea Black Maduro Classic

Manufacturer:  Flatbed Cigar Co. (of Bucks County, PA, U.S.A.)

Made In:  Dominican Republic

Vitola:  Perfecto

Wrapper:  Brazilian Maduro

Binder:  Dominican

Filler:  Cuban Seed Seco, Ligero, Olor Dominicano & Nicaraguan Highlights (Whatever the hell that means)

Beverage:  Coke Zero…cause I’m watching my girlish figure. 

First of all…a big shout out to Rod for hosting the Panacea Pass and allowing me to participate.  While I have smoked a few assorted Panacea cigars in the past, it was great to be able to revisit them.  I have to admit that this go round was better than the previous…at least to my best recollection. 

Also, my apologies in advance for presenting the community with a written as opposed to video review.  I’m just not as metro-sexually good looking as TP and BB are, and I wouldn’t want to embarrass myself after their stellar performances.  As for the lack of pictures in my review…I could just apologize for not being technically proficient enough, but that would be a lie.  The truth of the matter is that I’m a good-for-nothing, lazy-ass-shit who just couldn’t be bothered.  Thus…the reason for my earlier apology.

Appearance:  This is a nicely constructed cigar.  No soft spots to the touch and the color, while a bit mottled, is a deep brown – not as dark as a Padron maduro, and definitely not as dark as a Liga Privada…you’ll just have to take my word for it because I’m not providing any pictures.  There are veins readily apparent, and while not smooth, the wrapper is still soft to the touch…and no…I’m not stroking it.  Love the double tapered perfecto shape.  A real classic.  While I prefer the feel of a parejo in hand, the double tapered perfectos are just visually stunning.  

@ Cold:  The cigar at cold has a classic sweet aroma to it – as many maduros do.  There are also hints of tobacco (obviously), earth and well…that’s about it.  What can I say…I have allergies and the Spring is not kind to my olfactory senses.  I clipped the cigar with a Palio cutter and test the draw…it’s slightly tight, but nothing worth complaining about. 

1st-3rd:  I light the Panacea Black Maduro Classic Perfecto with my cheap-o $2.50 torch lighter made in China (Who says my brothers from another mother can’t make a cheap-ass quality product?).  Given its tapered foot, this baby sparks up in no time.  The aroma of the white smoke coming off this cigar is nicely aromatic.  It’s hard to describe the smell, but let’s just say it’s not harsh and does not stink like some other cigars.  I’m sure we’ve all smoked a few of those.  Smoke production is not excessive, more on the moderate side, but it’s a cigar that definitely puts out some smoke when at rest.  The draw remains a bit on the tight-side, but like I mentioned before, nothing to worry about.  After a few puffs I’m getting a predominately sweet flavor coming from the cigar.  Typical maduro sweetness.  I’m not detecting any pepperiness or spiciness from this cigar.  At this point, to my palate, the flavor is mild-to-medium and the body is light, but building.  I taste some woody notes and earth as well.  Burn is spot on, and the gray & white ash is hanging on like a champ.

2nd-3rd:  The cigar has definitely picked up a bit in terms of flavor and body.  Flavor is now medium and the body is as well.   The flavors haven’t changed at all, and I’m not detecting anything new.  The sweetness, the flavors of wood and earth are just more prominent than before.  Definitely not a complex cigar in my book, but still very enjoyable.  Some of you who may have smoked this cigar may have had a different experience and disagree with me, but this is my review, so sit down and shut up.  Smoke production is still moderate, and the ash is still hanging on.  This looks like it could be an entrant for a longest ash contest.  Impressive…

3rd-3rd:  At this point I go to remove the cigar band as the ash is about to reach it…and without fail, the ash falls into my lap.  Bummer…  Burn is still incredibly straight.  What can I say, other than…this is one well constructed cigar.  In the final third I find some of the sweetness fading away…the woodiness is still there but the earthiness is definitely becoming the dominant flavor here.  The cigar does not really evolve.  Same flavors, just different degrees.  It remains medium in flavor and medium in body.  With about an inch left it is beginning to get a bit hot, I decide to stop and let it go out rather than risk it going bitter on me and ruining the experience.

Conclusion:  I have to say…this has been my best experience with a Panacea cigar.  Thanks again Rod!  While I haven’t smoked many of them, I have in the past smoked the Panacea Red, Green, White and Black.  While the Panacea Black was not complex, the flavors present were highly enjoyable…this was a very good cigar.  Having smoked the Panacea Red Torpedo recently, I can say I much prefer the Black.  One other thing that I’d mention is that this cigar did not dry out my mouth like some other cigars do (Davidoff comes to mind.).  I appreciated that.  The body-svelting Coke Zero I paired with this cigar went well, but really wasn’t needed at all.  The Panacea Black was extremely smooth.  The sweetness of the cigar blended well with the woodsy and earthy flavors present.  I experienced no harshness until the final inch.  The price point of this cigar at a bit over $7 is a great value in my book, but I live in the greater NYC-metro area, so take my opinion for what it’s worth.  There may be some who are looking for more at that price point, but it’s good enough for me. 

Rating:  90

Box Worthy?  Truth be told there are a whole helluva lotta great cigars out there.  Because of that, and the fact that I have a self-imposed cigar budget (lest I stir the rage of my beautiful wife), I’m pretty damn selective when it comes to what cigars I would buy by the box.  In the instance of the Panacea Black Maduro Classic Perfecto, while a very good cigar, it just does not have enough to make the box cut.  That isn’t to say that I wouldn’t buy them, because I would…but in 5-packs, not boxes. 

Great reviews! Guess I'm gonna have to pick up a black now. Daryl, I couldn't quite tell on the video herf but you are one ugly s.o.b. :whistling:

Tall Paul said:
Great review Dave I loved reading it!

Paul
Thanks TP...But I much preferred your video review.  Great job as usual.  

Wish I could taste that chocolate you experienced.  Allergies are killing me.

BornaTiger said:
Great reviews! Guess I'm gonna have to pick up a black now. Daryl, I couldn't quite tell on the video herf but you are one ugly s.o.b. :whistling:

BigBear said:
I'll take that as a compliment!!  ;)
BB (Daryl)...I think you are one bad ass looking sob.  And you can take that as a compliment.  Loved how you were sitting out in the rain smoking your Panacea.  Great video review.  You and TP should collaborate.

@thechenman, great review!

Thanks... I stated I would get the review done by last weekend in the pass, & I try to be a man of my word... even if it's raining.  :laugh:

As I said in my review of the Panacea Red Label:
I've tried lately putting dirt in my mouth, chewing on leather shoes,
licking pine trees.....but I still can't seem to get these flavors from
cigars. I've tried. While I'm not one that can pick up on the flavor
wheel of cigars, I do know what I like and what I don't like. Sorry if
this review will seem lame but this is how my palate works.

Flatbed Cigar Co., Bucks County Pennsylvania

est. 2007

The Flatbed company is based in Pennsylvania but the factory is in
the Dominican Republic, with over 60 years of combined experience.

Panacea Black Label Maduro
Brazilian maduro. Cuban seed Seco & Ligero, Olor Dominicano,
and Nicaraguan highlights make up the interior. The binder is Dominican.

This cigar has a dark oily maduro wrapper with a distinct black label band. It's firm to the touch and made my mouth water a bit just looking at it. I wasn't as impressed with the Red Label as much as I was this one and think they got the pricing right on the two. This was an exceptional smoke with impressive long, thick grey ash that held on as if in a strongman competition. I also paired this one with ice water for the review, although I'd have a nice glass of scotch with it next time. Again not an overpowering cigar, but full of flavors that make you get lost up in it. Half the time I was smoking it, I forgot I was even doing a review as I just chilled out and enjoyed it. This one would be box worthy and one that could be shared with anyone, no matter what their smoking experience. Don't miss out on this 6 x 51 gem that is consistent throughout, easy draw, clouds of smoke and delightful after taste!

Panacea Black Maduro Perfecto
Flatbed Cigar Co. (of Bucks County, PA, U.S.A.)
Made in the Dominican Republic, Brazilian Maduro wrapper, Dominican binder, Cuban Seed Seco, Ligero, Olor Dominicano & Nicaraguan Highlights fillers

I've been a fan of Panacea since I stumbled across a Panacea white sample at one of my local B&Ms awhile back. Another B&M(which has since closed) carried the Red and Black and I purchased a sampler from Flatbed, so I've had a chance to try a good cross section of their wares. I really enjoy the Red and the White, while the Black and the Green didn't do much for me. Not bad cigars, but not box worthy. That's why I chose to revisit the Black. Its been a year and a  half or so, my preferences in cigars have changed and it feels like the right time to give them another go.

Appearance:  The perfecto is well constructed, a medium dark flavored wrapper that is fairly consistent colored throughout.Its a good looking cigar.

First Light:  Nice draw, and an even burn. There's a smooth mellow tobacco flavor to it. I say that because I don't have the palate to pick out many of the flavors that other reviewers mention. There is some sweetness. What I mainly get is a consistent medium flavor that I find very relaxing. I didn't have a beverage to start with but decided to crack open a Rahr and Sons Iron Thistle scotch ale to enjoy with it.

Second Half: Ash is holding on well. Good smoke coming off. For some reason the "experience" reminds me somewhat of smoking alot of Drew Estates cigars, only ramped down. Good ash/ draw/ flavor/ smoke but without the strength and nicotine kick I get from DE products.In the past I smoked mostly full-bodied maduros, which is why I think I was unimpressed with the Black at the time.

Final Third: Lost the ash a little before the final third but thats expected. I'm a klutz. Seems a little stronger towards the end. Flavors seem a little more sweet and I get a hint of chocolate, but that might be the beer talking.

Summary: IMHO, if you haven't tried one you should and if I had the space, I'd buy a box. The pricepoint is consistent with what you get from this perfecto. A good solid cigar. It was great companion to mellow out with after a long day.

Thanks again Rod for hosting this pass and forcing me to get off my ass and post my first review. Maybe next time I'll even include a picture!
To all the reviewers that posted ahead of me, great job!

Well brothers, well done reviews. They are enough to make me want to find some. Like thechenman said, I'd easily go for a 5er simply for the economics, so we will see what happens.

I'm disappointed to note CJ didn't get in an offer some pork loins for a trade.