• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Scotch tasting - input wanted.

NEXT

Myself and a few friends are gojng to have an informal tasting.

We drink Glenlivet 12 almost all the time with some Glenfiddich 12 thrown in.

We are wanting to try 3 different types of Scotch - Glenlivet 12, something with a more smoky, rich flavor, and a good blended Scotch.

Suggestions and input wanted.

Smoky + rich = Lagavulin 16
Good (inexpensive) blend = Famous Grouse or Black Bottle, I would say JW Black also but lots of people seem to hate it and it is pretty smoky. You may want to buy a 1 oz bottle of JW Red and try it with a little water, it is mild in character as well as inexpensive and many people prefer it to the Black.

So are you totally committed to Glenlivet? I would offer Macallan 12 as a more distinctive but still inexpensive Speyside, or you may want to add a highland scotch like Dalwhinnie 15 instead.

For more guidance:

Single_Malt_Whisky_Flavor_Map.png

^Tthat is what I was looking for!!!

Glemlivet seems to be easy to get around here.

Smokey: Laphroaig 10, Talisker 10. Lagavulin 16 is an excellent dram and without a doubt it's smokey and rich but you may be over powered by the peaty, iodine flavor considering you are a Glenlivet drinker. 

Blends:Johnnie Black is the #1 selling premium blend. I really like it and it's at good value play. Almost everyone that gets paid to rate scotch loves JWB. As an alternative you might try Dewar's 12. I like it a little more than JW Black but your MMV. I would also throw Chivas 12 into the mix as a decent affordable blend. 

The standard Famous Grouse for around $20 is about the only entry level blend I enjoy. With all due respect to Juanote, I would not recommend buying JW Red but then again everyone is different. 

For a little more money than the 12 year old blends you could try Dimple Pinch 15. 

NEXT said:
^Tthat is what I was looking for!!!

Glemlivet seems to be easy to get around here.
Do you mind me asking what your budget for the tasting is, and what sort of cigars (I presume) you intend to smoke with these whiskies?

And you should trust cigar zealot about JWRL, I cannot honestly say that I've drunk it, I'm merely reporting what people that don't like JWBL have said. JWBL was the scotch that began it for me nearly 20 years ago, and I have some in the cabinet, but I don't drink much in the way of blended whisky and haven't for quite some time. That said, I have had Black Bottle recently, it is a superior scotch for about $25; and Famous Grouse is an iconic blend of some famous single malts (Highland Park, The Macallan for example).

Great chart Brother, Thanks.  What kind of money do you want to spend on your tastings?

Being newish to Scotch as well, I'd recommend Johnny Walker Double Black for something with a little smoke that won't overwhelm you. Monkey Shoulder is a good entry level blend. Balvenie 12 DW would be my favorite entry level single malt.

I had a bottle of Ardbeg 10 some time back that was peaty, swampy, smokey delicious.  I also like the Macallan 12 as someone mentioned....

Laphroaig 10 is also a good smoky (well a classic I should say), if not Coal Ila is more on the mineral but has all the smoky caracteristics. And all the aformentionned.

On the blended side there is not mush to work around except JW black and above (the black is an entry level for me...) or if you local liquor store hase a good selection sometime you can find a bottle mixed by a bottling group (Gordon and Macphail for example)

If I were you I go Highland, Islay and an ither ewgion of you choosing and I bet you appreciate more the variance of the regions.

A tasting implies marked contrast, but the question is how much contrast will remain enjoyable. The preference for Glenlivet 12 is a bit of an enigma, not that it's a bad whisky or anything (I do drink and enjoy it), but simply that it is so subdued in character that it is difficult to guess how much peat and smoke you will want to embrace. If you will notice however that the "rich" side of the chart is populated by the majority of the world's most expensive scotches, I think we can conclude that is a safe direction of travel. Personally I would counsel against Ardberg 10 if you are not very experienced with scotch, as its smoky qualities can be overbearing. Laphroaig 10 could be a better choice along those lines, especially if you plan to add a small amount of water in the traditional Scottish style, which will bring out its sweet and mild character and tone down the smoke. This would be my "perfect" 3 malt tasting for a novice on a budget (omitting blends):

1. Macallan 12 with water
2. Laphroaig 10 with water
3. Lagavulin 16 that has been allowed to stand with ice
4. Macallan 12 neat
5. Lagavulin 16 with water
6. Laphroaig 10 neat
7. Lagavulin 16 neat

If Lagavulin is judged too bold you could substitute Highland Park 12, which is also well regarded.

There is a lot of good info here to help your choose your 2 other bottles. You can glean a lot of insight by reading AVB's reviews, especially the ones you are considering. I keep quite a bit of scotch on hand and still go back to read his notes.

Joebunaga said:
Being newish to Scotch as well, I'd recommend Johnny Walker Double Black for something with a little smoke that won't overwhelm you. Monkey Shoulder is a good entry level blend. Balvenie 12 DW would be my favorite entry level single malt.

:thumbs:  on the Monkey Shoulder.  It's a fantastic value, and a fine dram.

Since you already drink the Glenlivet, I'd leave it out of the tasting entirely. Good substitutes that will be richer and more flavorful without being overwhelming to beginners would be Balvenie Doublewood 12, Macallan 12, Aberlour 12, Dalmore 12, or Glendronach 12.  

For something with smoke and peat, the Laphroiag 10 is a classic, and shouldn't be TOO overwhelming.  You might also consider one of Benriach's peated caskings, if they're available locally.  Their limited edition Solstice 17, a peated port cask, is probably the best Scotch I've ever had.  :love:

~Boar

~Boar

Not A Nice Person said:
You might also consider one of Benriach's peated caskings, if they're available locally.  Their limited edition Solstice 17, a peated port cask, is probably the best Scotch I've ever had.  :love:

~Boar

Damn you! Now I want a bottle!  :p

Budget is going to be under $100 between the 2 other bottles, as most have stated, we are pretty new to Scotch - been drinking it about a year. We all like a little ice in our glass.

We have discussed cigars but I'm the only one that has any knowledge about cigars and we are limited to what we can get locally so i will take any input on pairings.

I appreciate all the information so far!!!!

If you will be drinking scotch over ice, that will limit the concerns about being overwhelmed by peat and smoke. You should be able to score two bottles of most anything listed here for $100, although Lagavulin runs $70-80 in a lot of places.

If you have tulip (or even brandy) snifters, use those . . . and try each selection neat, with a little water, and with an ice cube.  I had all my Scotches, even the spendy ones, on ice for years until I started trying them neat.  Now except for the Monkey Shoulder and other blends that's the only way I drink them.

You could do Johnny Walker Double Black (both blend and smoke  in one) and Balvenie Doublewood 12 for under $100 and have a great night of Scotch and cigars.

~Boar

P.S. On the cigars, Romeo y Julieta and Carlos Torano are both good for beginners like your friends and should be available almost anywhere that has a cigar shop.  And Fuente, of course.

If smokiness isn't your forte', sometimes water won't soften it up a lot.  There are a few very smoky scotches.  Try some all the regions.  It's a fun voyage.

You do realize that they make bourbon in your state, right?  Ignore all these pagans and their fancy Scotch recommendations and drink bourbon!  :)

Actually, now that you mention it, a scotch vs. bourbon / American whiskey tasting sounds pretty interesting. I can't remember ever drinking both spirits on the same night.

Stress remember.

I do rememver and it probably me being picky but I cannot palate bourbon... :-(
Too much oak in the flavor most of the time (well I actually still have to find one I like)

The suggestion of pairing the JW black with the double black is interesting as it will help you distinguish the differences in the taste notes.