• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

June 6th 1972, besides being the 28th anniversary of D-Day was only the 2nd weekday I had off in my young Marine career. After 91 days of boot camp you could take a weeks leave. Then for those of us going to BITS (Basic Infantry Training School) it was another 8 weeks of specialized training before being sent to your unit in the Fleet. My BITS was at Camp Pendleton Ca and my unit was 3 miles away also on Camp Pendleton. When we graduated on Friday morning I took the shuttle bus to sub-base Camp San Mateo arriving there before lunch. The First Sgt gives me a map of the base, a list of stuff I need to get from supply, a barracks I was assigned to (I'm talking Gomer Pyle metal Quonset hut), a bus schedule in case I want to go off post and tells me be in his office at 5:30 Wednesday morning with everything I need done finished because we were shipping out in 2 weeks and there wouldn't be anytime to be doing any bullshit. So I go find my barracks, check in with the clerk who assigns me a rack, foot looker and wall locker. I sit down with my map and find the furthest place away and start therr so when I'm hauling the most crap I have the shortest distance to go. Now back then as a junior enlisted you weren't allowed to have civilian clothes or a vehicle or junk food or anything else that Uncle Sam didn't issue you. The way around that was to rent a locker at the bus station in town for $1 a week . Now the bus part of the station was only half as big as the locker room part and the lockers were gym locker sized so you weren't going to have a wardrobe to choose from.

Deep Purple had been due in town back in April but that show was postponed until June 6th so the only tickets that were available were those who asked for a refund and the only place you could buy those tickets was at the Anaheim Convention Center Box Office. While it was said to be a sold out show I didn't look it but being a Tuesday probably had something to do with it too.

This was the classic DP line-up in support of the Machine Head album so it was 1972 hard rock at it's best. Ritchie was doing his best Guitar God, Jon Lord was a maniac on the keys while the supremely under rates Ian Paice beat the skins with Roger Glover holding down the bottom and Ian Gillan showing why he was metal's premier singer at that time. Fitting for my last US show for some time.

The only real problem was I missed the last bus to get back on the base and so started walking the 7 miles. Luckily a young Lt. stopped and picked me up and I made it back by 1am.

The most famous song from Machine Head.

Their videos are weird....but the music is amazing. After the loss of Neil, Danny is probably one of, if not the best drummer going today. Really dig these guys.

I wish I could get into TOOL. I tried. I really did. I really liked Undertow, but pretty much everything after is like nails on a chalkboard to me for some reason.

Fahhhhhhhhhhhk. I wish I could give this more than one "love" emoji. This album holds a special place for me. Also, River Of Deceit is one of the first things I just automatically play when I pick up a new guitar. Don't know why, but it's just such a great intro.