• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

0 for 2

ZippoVette

Well, my 10 pc. sample pack came in two days ago. last night was a good night to try something new...something other than the Fuente's, Acid's and Romeo's I've been smoking.

It didn't go well. I'm not sure if the cigars were old...If I just wasn't in the mood, or if the cigars just plain didn't suit my taste...but I tried two, and both were nasty. They were tossed only after a few minutes. I won't name bash, because maybe I was just having an "off" night with my tase buds.

I will say this however...my sample pack came from a place not well liked here...(didn't know that when I ordered it) and maybe their stuff is just old...been laying around awhile...I dunno.

It's a bit discouraging...0 for 2 in a new sample pack is not a great start...I'm hoping business will pick up with the other 8.

I have a shop right around the corner from me...and I know a Fuente or a RyJ is not too far away...so I'll at least stay in the game!!

here's the list of what was included: The two "bad" ones are on this list!!

Black Pearl
Zino Premium Selection
Gurkha Vulcan
Rockey Patel Vintage 1999
Comacho Jamastran
Series 55 Grand Reserve Victor Sinclair
Occidental Reserve
Cuesta Ray Centro-Fino Sun Grown
Rockey Patel Sun Grown

Is this a contest to guess which ones were the dog rockets???

Edit: no coffee in bloodstream yet.... YAWN!

Quality over quantity.

You could purchase 2 or 3 nice smokes for the same price. :D

Brian

Well, my 10 pc. sample pack came in two days ago. last night was a good night to try something new...something other than the Fuente's,
here's the list of what was included: The two "bad" ones are on this list!!

Black Pearl
Zino Premium Selection
Gurkha Vulcan
Comacho Jamastran
Occidental Reserve
Rockey Patel Sun Grown

In over 10 years as a retailer, I've smoked a ton of cigars, and can't say I'm a fan of any of these, except the Cuesta Rey Sun Grown. It has always been enjoyable (made by Fuente, of course). I hope that wasn't one of the dog rockets you smoked last night!! I have had the Occi as a morning smoke with coffee, and for about $3 a stick, it's not bad (made by Kelner, who also makes AVO/Davidoff). I hope the rest get better for you!!

My B&M recently suggested the Occidental as a good value priced golf cigar. I found it to be a smooth cigar and a good value for the intented purpose. I also see me using this cigar as the Saturday morning, paper by the pool cigar (one of my favorite cigar times).

Black Pearl - Blech

Zino Premium Selection - Meh

Gurkha Vulcan - ???

Rockey Patel Vintage 1999 - :thumbs:

Comacho Jamastran - ???

Series 55 Grand Reserve Victor Sinclair - Blech

Occidental Reserve - ???

Cuesta Ray Centro-Fino Sun Grown - :thumbs:

Rockey Patel Sun Grown - :love:

Could have gotten a better sampler for not much more money in the newbie trade thread IMHO.

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=29521

And next time let the cigars sit for at least a week in your humidor before smoking them (yeah I am lacking in patience as well, but its worth it if your humidor is set up properly, trust me)

10 pc. sample pack

Black Pearl
Zino Premium Selection
Gurkha Vulcan
Comacho Jamastran
Occidental Reserve
Rockey Patel Sun Grown

I find sample packs are a good way for retailers to get rid of smokes that are sub-par. It may contain one or two good quality smokes, but the rest are usually just worthless or at best a .50 cent stick. Try another route to find what cigars you might like. My suggestion to you is to find another who have the same likes as you. For example, you said you liked ACIDs. Wurm enjoys them, so look his profile to see what other smokes he like as well. Another way is to use the 'Search' feature here, and anther is to stick around more and read up on review.

I personally liked the Rockey Patel Vintage 1999. Or was it the '92, ohhhhhh I forgot.

I personally liked the Rockey Patel Vintage 1999. Or was it the '92, ohhhhhh I forgot.

Lighter wrapper? (Connecticut)
CI-VRC-TORN5PK-400.jpg

Or darker wrapper? (RP 1992)
CI-VRP-ROB92N5K-400.jpg

Whichever one it was, those two smokes are PRETTY different in looks/taste...

For example, you said you liked ACIDs. Wurm enjoys them, so look his profile to see what other smokes he like as well.

HAAAAHHHAAAAAAHHHHHAAAAA!!!! Just because Wilkey and I did the Acid reviews (I'm still waiting on my bro to finish his part BTW :sign: )

Doesn't mean I like them.

ZV sampler packs are a good way to try new cigars, but as was mentioned above, its also a good way for shops to get rid of surplus that nobody wanted (this isn't always the case... check shops like mdcigars (great brother and member of CP even though he hasn't posted in a while) who make of true sampler packs with good cigars) but as was also mentioned above by Grateful1 and myself the best way to spend your money to get a wide variety of cigars to taste is the newbie sampler here at CP. I'd try it out at least once.

Shawn

As others have said.... the Patel Sun Grown is great!! Go for it, you'll have at least 1 winner in there!

Here's his sampler but I can't find where it is called the Vulcan, nor can I find info on a vitola named Vulcan by Gurkha (even on their website) Looks like a generic Gurkha Torp to me. (as opposed to any of there uncountable lines) Might not be bad...

As mentioned may times previously, I'd try a NST. Also, you may poke around the marketplace here for deals, splits or trades. Eventually, build a rep and get in on a pass and you can try new things that way, too.

-K-

The Patel I have is the light wrapper...I'll at least try that one one day.

The dead sticks were the Black Pearl, and the Comacho Jamastran...bleh!!

Its a Gurkha Legend according to the picture on the Thompson website. A really good cigar and one of the only really good Gurkhas.

And Thompson always ships either bone dry or dripping wet, you need to let them sit at least 2 weeks before trying to smoke another.