• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

10 yr old forgotten H. Uppmans worth it?

RoguePuffer

yesterday I stopped by a little country market. I was looking for a cigar but all they had was some flavored owl's and then the kid pointed up at a high shelf and said well there are those but they are WAY out of date like 10 years out of date... so I look up and there is a 4 chambered acrylic display humidor with about twenty or so cigars in it. the kid brought down the dust covered box and set it on the counter. to my suprise they were all H. Uppman's he said they had been up there forever and probably werent any good. So I said well, it might be a long shot but mabey I can bring one back from the dead and offered him two bucks for a H-2000 that was priced $6.99. He said if I wanted to buy them all to make him an offer, the kids dad owns the store. I told him I would take this one home and see if it would be worth even touching them. The store had been sold and sold again many times over the years so I know they have absoloutly no investment in the cigars or the acrylic box they are in. so if you were in my shoes looking for some inexpensive smokes, what would you do? something that has sat this long unhumidified is it worth it? they were all in perfect condition but I dont know anything about old forgotten cigars. also what are they worth?

Ten years? Might as well toss them in the compost heap. Not trying to rain on your parade, but any of the essential oils in the tobacco will be long gone.

If they were unhumidified for ten years, they're probably just trash, sir. Two dollars is probably two too much to pay, and that's not easy to say.

If they haven't been in a humidor and a controlled environment, you would be wasting your money. I had a tubos cigar from back in the day. They was discontinued over 10 years ago. I went to my mom's place one time and found on still in a tube that was in the basement. I never did open it so the seal was good. I opened it up and pulled it out. I can say it was one of the best cigars I ever had and that is still to today. All because the basement was the perfect humidity and temperature level.

I kinda wished I hadn't opened it and smoked it. I smoked half and gave the last half to my best friend. He had heard me brag about them for years. For the price, they was one hell of a cigar. Well, that was before I was really cultured in the cigar world. I know I would still enjoy one today if I had it. It was one of the first cigars I every purchased that I enjoyed. I think it was the Don Diego Coronation tubos. I can't remember if they had a Major or Minor in from of Coronation. All I know is they don't make them no more.

But in your situation I wouldn't waste the money unless they had been taken care of. You will never bring it back to what it used to be like.

You got one so you might as well try it. Like other have said though they're probably well past their prime with no hope of bringing them back.

You got one so you might as well try it. Like other have said though they're probably well past their prime with no hope of bringing them back.

Well It is sitting in my makeshift humidor, a perdomo cedar cigar box with a tube sponge humidity stick inside. there are a couple cheapies in the box and I put the uppman outside the box with the lid open about an inch and all inside a gallon ziplock. I figured putting the cigar outside the box would let it come up in humidity slower.

I can only assume that they are 10 years old as what I have read the various H2000'a that started in 98 dident last much past 2000 but I am not an expert. they have been sitting in an acrylic display humidor, there were two humidity pucks in the box but I doubt they had been charged in years.

So with my little makeshift humidor, how long should I let this torpedo sit before it is at the proper humidity, Oh it is also cedar wraped if I dident say that before.

Well It is sitting in my makeshift humidor, a perdomo cedar cigar box with a tube sponge humidity stick inside. there are a couple cheapies in the box and I put the uppman outside the box with the lid open about an inch and all inside a gallon ziplock. I figured putting the cigar outside the box would let it come up in humidity slower.

I can only assume that they are 10 years old as what I have read the various H2000'a that started in 98 dident last much past 2000 but I am not an expert. they have been sitting in an acrylic display humidor, there were two humidity pucks in the box but I doubt they had been charged in years.

So with my little makeshift humidor, how long should I let this torpedo sit before it is at the proper humidity, Oh it is also cedar wraped if I dident say that before.

Exactly 48hours, not an hour past. Otherwise, you f'd up and the stick is gone for good.

Just let them go...I'm surprised they still look half way decent after 10 years of neglect sitting in a store.

Smoke it today, smoke it 10 years from today, I don't think it'll make much difference.

Smoke it today, smoke it 10 years from today, I don't think it'll make much difference.
That's what I would do. If it sucks today it will suck in 6 months. I think you are wasting your time - they're too far gone. For $2/stick I would suggest trying some 5 Vegas cigars over on Cigarbid or Cigars International. CI has a weekly deal going on right now for 12 toprp each of the 5 Vegas Reds and Golds for $50. If you're a maduro fan the 5 Vegas Series A's offer a good bang for the buck as well. I had a Robosto last week for the first time in 6-8 months and I forgot just how good they are. They tend to be constructed well also - I rarely run into a problem 5 Vegas. Just don't pay full retail out of the catalogue for them. Get them on Cigarbid or when CI has them on special.

That's what I would do. If it sucks today it will suck in 6 months. I think you are wasting your time - they're too far gone. For $2/stick I would suggest trying some 5 Vegas cigars over on Cigarbid or Cigars International. CI has a weekly deal going on right now for 12 toprp each of the 5 Vegas Reds and Golds for $50. If you're a maduro fan the 5 Vegas Series A's offer a good bang for the buck as well. I had a Robosto last week for the first time in 6-8 months and I forgot just how good they are. They tend to be constructed well also - I rarely run into a problem 5 Vegas. Just don't pay full retail out of the catalogue for them. Get them on Cigarbid or when CI has them on special.
Great suggestions MarkQ thanks!

yesterday I stopped by a little country market. I was looking for a cigar but all they had was some flavored owl's and then the kid pointed up at a high shelf and said well there are those but they are WAY out of date like 10 years out of date... so I look up and there is a 4 chambered acrylic display humidor with about twenty or so cigars in it. the kid brought down the dust covered box and set it on the counter. to my suprise they were all H. Uppman's he said they had been up there forever and probably werent any good. So I said well, it might be a long shot but mabey I can bring one back from the dead and offered him two bucks for a H-2000 that was priced $6.99. He said if I wanted to buy them all to make him an offer, the kids dad owns the store. I told him I would take this one home and see if it would be worth even touching them. The store had been sold and sold again many times over the years so I know they have absoloutly no investment in the cigars or the acrylic box they are in. so if you were in my shoes looking for some inexpensive smokes, what would you do? something that has sat this long unhumidified is it worth it? they were all in perfect condition but I dont know anything about old forgotten cigars. also what are they worth?

Buy the flavored white owls. They will be better hands down.