• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

100 years ago today.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoventryCat86

Corresponding authority
Today, December 17, 2003 is a remarkable day in history!!

100 years ago today the first manned, powered filght took place in Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina when the Wright Brothers made four successful flights with the "Kittyhawk"

I had the opportunity to visit the site last summer and WOW it was impressive!!

They've put a lot of planning into today's BIG DAY celebrating the 100th anniversary.

It only took us 66 short years to put a man on the moon, July 20, 1969.

AMAZING!!

Nice way to put it into perspective, Bill! Imagine what we will be doing in 66 years after landing on the moon! :thumbs:

So, you're one of those who actually believe we landed on the moon?

It's a conspiracy I tell ya, a conspiracy.

:sign:

there's an actual society that believes that the landing on the moon was a hoax.

i think they also belive that the world is flat... hmmm let me see how it goes...

oh yea i htink i remmeber now.
the society is called the flat earty society or something like that.
they think the world flat, and they claim that all those pictures taken from outer space is a hoax. therefore they belive that the whole going onto the moon thing was a hoax.

anyone wnana correct me on this?

Great post!

I just love the story of the Wright brothers, and other "inventors".

The thing I find so interesting, being an engineer, is that all engineering follows the invention - where little engineering was used to create the invention in the first place.

Some examples of what I mean: [1] Civil engineering was developed centuries after the Roman arch and the bridge. [2] Aeronuatical/Aerospace after the flight at Kitty Hawk. [3] Petroleum engineering - about 50 years after the first oil well. [4] Thermodynamics - after the steam engine. So on and so on, ad infinitum.

Those of us who are practicing engineers need to remember that when we run into these overly theoretical engineering types who like to run around with theory and equations in their heads, but who don't like to get their hands dirty either on the factory floor or out in the field. Okay, OFF my soapbox, and ON to the stair machine [now that I've had my morning coffee and bowel movement :p ]

Thanks for posting cc86! :)

FA

geldor1 said:

Eh, why not. I'll believe anything if it entertains me.

For 2 years I though the movie "Mission to Mars" was a documentary and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't on the History Channel. And then there was that movie "Independance Day"........... :lookup:

Bat_Chief said:
geldor1 said:

Eh, why not. I'll believe anything if it entertains me.

For 2 years I though the movie "Mission to Mars" was a documentary and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't on the History Channel. And then there was that movie "Independance Day"........... :lookup:
You do realize that I own the Brooklyn Bridge, don't you? I'd be willing to let you have it for a good price. :) Would you like to buy it with or without cars? :D :sign:

Status
Not open for further replies.