• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1903 La Corona Cigar Cabinet (Cuban)

sboyajian

Mods, if you feel this should be in Humidors, feel free to move it. Being as it's from Cuba, I thought it appropriate to place it here.

My parents brought this to me as a Housewarming gift this past month. It was given to my father by his father. His father brought it back from Jamaica in the 20's - 30's. We know it's from La Corona company out of Cuba and from the only other one that we can find, it's been dated to 1903 (Mitchell from C.Gars Ltd. London agrees with this date stamp based on their archives).

It has some beat up spots, and shows some discoloration on the bottom, but it's beautiful none the less.

I just wanted to share a piece of Cuban Cigar history with y'all.

For those who are interested, La Corona, according to CA: " La Corona today is the home of Hoyo de Monterey and Punch, including the much-sought-after double corona format of each. The rollers in the shop are usually some of the best on the island". I also know that it was the first cigar factory built in Cuba with frame steelwork nicknamed "Iron House" and at the time this cabinet was made, it was one of the highest sought after brands in the Cuban market.

LaCorona.jpg

LaCorona1.jpg

LaCorona2.jpg

LaCorona3.jpg

Wow, that is great! Very lucky to have such a thing in the family still.

Nice! Throw some beads in it and fill it up! Poor thing doesn't look happy empty.

Man that looks way cool. Thanks for sharing :thumbs:
Like the other fella mentioned, you should fill it up

Now that is neat. Sounds like a good thing to pass down from generation to generation.

FYI, there are no mods here.

Nice! Throw some beads in it and fill it up! Poor thing doesn't look happy empty.
I have been considering it .. I've only had it in the house for about 2 or 3 weeks now, but with the top and bottom door lock in place on the left door, and the key lock turned to close up the right door, the seal is still incredibly tight on the edges. I think it will still hold VERY well. If not, a little foam doorjam insulation will go a long way (and I have a full roll).

This would be an excellent box storage cabinet.. I'll post it up if I decide to do it.

Matt love furniture. Matt want eat nice furniture. :laugh:

I have been considering it .. I've only had it in the house for about 2 or 3 weeks now, but with the top and bottom door lock in place on the left door, and the key lock turned to close up the right door, the seal is still incredibly tight on the edges. I think it will still hold VERY well. If not, a little foam doorjam insulation will go a long way (and I have a full roll).

This would be an excellent box storage cabinet.. I'll post it up if I decide to do it.

Chrips, I don't know about that. I don't think I would go sticking any foam on it... but she's your baby. So unique... So very cool. You should have the Antique Roadshow folks take a look at that.

Thanks for sharing!

I considered that, but I don't feel it will ever be sold.. so the value is more for the family value and being as I'm a 3rd (or likely more) generation cigar smoker, that's the bond. I'm hoping it still holds a good seal (as you can see in the first picture, the sides still get extremely tight even after 100+ years).

I will be sure to use something that can be easily removeable should I decide to restore it to original.

Just fill it with empty boxes and make it a conversation piece, not that it isn't already.

Wow... that is VERY cool. Hopefully it will hold humidity without much modification. But I DEFINITELY think you should try to put it to use.

I considered that, but I don't feel it will ever be sold.. so the value is more for the family value and being as I'm a 3rd (or likely more) generation cigar smoker, that's the bond. I'm hoping it still holds a good seal (as you can see in the first picture, the sides still get extremely tight even after 100+ years).

I will be sure to use something that can be easily removeable should I decide to restore it to original.

I'm completely with you on that. It would be interesting to see how an expert 'would' value something like that, maybe find out a little more history.

La Corona is a famous factory in Cuba:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Ar...322,212,00.html

After Partagas, I pop over to the La Corona factory, a few blocks away on Calle Agramonte, and check out what's offered. Another legendary factory, La Corona today is the home of Hoyo de Monterey and Punch, including the much-sought-after double corona format of each. The rollers in the shop are usually some of the best on the island, so ask them to bang up a fresh double or robusto for you. You also can have a drink or a coffee from the bar and small lounge area just beyond the cigar counters while you browse the inventory.

The La Corona factory is about to get the same cleanup treatment as Partagas underwent a few years back, which will include extending the mezzanine area over the store floor. So the shop, which is known as the Palacio del Tabaco, should be even better. Try to arrange a visit to the factory with the cigar shop staff. "There are only three Cuban shops located in actual factories [Partagas, La Corona and the Vegueros factory in Pinar del Río]," says Omar Gonzalez, the manager of the La Corona shop. La Corona is the "mother factory" for the new Cuban brand, San Cristobal de la Habana. "So this is a unique experience for our visitors. Even those who don't smoke can appreciate the art of cigarmaking!"

I don't know anything about the piece you've presented, but I'd imagine it will have more sentimental value then pecuniary.

La Corona was also a brand which existed from the late 1800's until the 1970s (believe) when it was discontinued. It was brought back for about a decade as a machine rolled, but didn't last.

On the copy of this thread over at ICC you claim to have been directed to post about this item by SmokinJ, who has recently been in the spot light around here. What, if any, is your connection with him?

On the copy of this thread over at ICC you claim to have been directed to post about this item by SmokinJ, who has recently been in the spot light around here. What, if any, is your connection with him?
My connection to him is that his home forum is my home forum (CigarOutcasts). I posted my thread there and he recommended I post on ICC due to the heavy number of cuban smokers.

Any more questions that have nothing to do with this thread?

My connection to him is that his home forum is my home forum (CigarOutcasts). I posted my thread there and he recommended I post on ICC due to the heavy number of cuban smokers.

Just a question. Thanks for the answer. Nice piece by the way!

Just a question. Thanks for the answer. Nice piece by the way!
No problem.. sorry if I was snappy.. just would hate to be lumped into the same class of person simply for knowing him.

Thanks!