• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1968 Mac

merkinmullet

Perhaps it was the weather, perhaps it was watching Webber capture his maiden F1 victory, but most likely its I just cravetomato, clam juice and beer together. I was not super keen on the pre-mixed Bud/clamato, but I knew it had potential, so I figured I'd mix my own. Luckily the CVS had just what the doctor ordered, a few 24 oz Coors Banquet cans and a bottle of Clamato. The Mexican/Ukranian grocery on the corner was closed, and I was not going to walk the mile round trip to the main grocery, so no limes.
gallery_6295_1225_838131.png
<-Notice the blue mountains

The cigar for the evening was a gift from a BOTL here that's been waiting patiently since before the new year. I am pretty sure Santa shipped it Priority mail. Thanks Santa!
Macanudo 1968 Churchill 7 X 49
Wrapper: Honduran San Agustin Havana Seed
Binder: Connecticut Habano
Filler: Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Ometepe
Prelight: Shiny wrapper with a dense firm pack and heavy. It has a slightly tapered head.

gallery_6295_1225_948692.png

First third:The smoke is smooth and fine grained with a very subtle sweetish spice. There is a firm draw caused by the tight bunching at the taper. The finish on the palate is meaty, savory (this could also be from the MSG in the Clamato). It takes surprisingly little Clamato to get the Coors looking like the canned variety, but the flavor is immensely better. Lacking is the biting acidity and metallic taste from the Bud/Clamato can. I don't miss the lime, but a few drops of juice might make this a go-to morning drink.
gallery_6295_1225_633587.png
gallery_6295_1225_471679.png
<-Look at that head

Second third: Less smoke is being produced and its feeling like its wet, but I let it relax for a few minutes and all returns to normal. A bit of coffee, cocoa, and darker aromas come through, as well as a touch of pleasant tingling bitterness on the tongue and spice in the nose. I am slamming this concoction in a glass. A full 24 oz Coors and I'm only halfway in to the smoke.

gallery_6295_1225_762306.png
<-Second can opened

Third third: A big purge after the ash drop and wow-creamy cola, rich flavor in a lighter bodied cigar. This is a pretty good smoke and that post purge inch provided the only real profile change and some really enjoyable flavors. The marketing people FUBARed by associating the name Macanudo with it. It reminds me of a Casa Magna with a touch less spice and weight to the smoke. It lasted very long for me, almost 1 3/4 hrs. The house mixed version of the classic beer and tomato cocktail reigns over the Bud Chelada.
gallery_6295_1225_739277.png

We call that a bloody beer where I come from. Always good-to-go! :thumbs:

Nice review, by the way.

My dad drinks those religiously... I just can't bring myself to do it, and I love both separately. Nice cigar too, the only Mac I can halfway choke down! :whistling:

I've got a few weekend beers left in the fridge, I'm gonna have to try it out!

Thanks for the review. I had actually been thinking of trying the Mac 1968 the next time I visited my local B&M. I have to say that your beverage of choice was very interesting. I've never seen or hear of that combination before. Sounds intriguing.