• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1980s Bolivar GM review

servebig

After looking at this in the humidor for over 5 years and wondering what would be the best excuse to smoke it, I finally just did it. Lately I have been visiting my good friend Mario every couple of weeks and recently we had a talk about friends of ours that have gotten ill or worse. Long story short...why wait?

We met this last Wednesday and shared this along with an 07 model for comparison.

I will post some pictures soon, but our overall impression was dissapointing. There were some flavor changes throughout, but they were very subtle. Initially there were bitter notes that soon dissapeared and led into a somewhat mild cigar throughout the first and last thirds. The second third was best, but the 07 was the better of the two, with a much richer journey throughout. From a construction standpoint both were very good. The wrapper on the older GM was much lighter and ash much whiter and more solid, but this is to be expected of an older cigar. Storage conditions for both were perfect. I know a little of the provenence on the older GM and that it had come on a box split from a Christies auction, so I make the assumption that it had been well cared for.

While you can't really make an assessment of a cigar with one visit, I will say that WITHOUT QUESTION the best BGMs that we have had were the Wolter's release back in early 07 (?). I think Mario will agree here. These were easily on both our top 5 list...something that we hash out every time we get together. Most of the more recent releases have been great, but this one was something special. I still can't believe that they are on the mothball list...a travesty as far as I'm concerned.

Fine review!

By early '07...are you referring to the 06 box codes?

What of the '04 BGM's?

Thanks for sharing the excellent review! I've always yearned to try one of the old blend GM's. Sorry to hear your experience was sub par.

Well, it's about time, Barney. I remember buying these with you way back when. :)