• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1988 Mortlach 13 year Signatory Selection

smokelaw1

Cigar Ambassador
I recognize that this was posted as part of a post on another topic. I realized that the review would be better here...so sorry for the double post.

It was as full-bodied as I have ever tasted Mortlach. Nose is kind of nutty, with a smoke (NOT peat smoke, almost like a really mild candela burning by itself) flavor that was intriguing.
In the mouth it is all bundled up flavors, almost puzzle-like in complexity. Then, a few drops of filtered water opens it up liek a book. A wonderful sweetness comes out, with that same smokiness and I thought I descerned some grapes...more accurately, you knwo the smell of a whole bag of mixed up dried fruits, or the aisle in the whole foods store that carries them, and perhaps some nuts and things....it was that aisle.
The finish was a decrescendo of the smae wonderful notes, that lasted forever. It lasts through the next puff of the cigar, mixing two of my greatest pleasures, and only finally disappaiting when I expelled the smoke, smiled, let it take its time retreating. I'd read another paragraph, then start the whole wonderful process over.

Nice review smoke!

I agree, every Signatory I've had has really benefitted from water.

What cigar did you pair it with?

It was, indeed. I figure the number of nights left in CT to sit out in a t-shirt and jeans, hand out with the dog, smoke a cigar, have a wee dram and read are getting fewer by the day.

smokelaw1 said:
It was, indeed. I figure the number of nights left in CT to sit out in a t-shirt and jeans, hand out with the dog, smoke a cigar, have a wee dram and read are getting fewer by the day.
[snapback]235176[/snapback]​

That's fer sure. That's why I call November-March the "Aging Season".

Nice review Mortlach has made some pretty good sherried malts over the years. I have the 16 yo Flora & Fauna from the UK that was being raved about. On the high side of good but not great, I'd like to see your review sans cigars to see if anything has changed. BTW, I'm pretty sure this Signatory is 12 years old as I can find nothing on a 1988 13yo but plenty on a 1988 12yo.

smokelaw1 said:
It was, indeed.  I figure the number of nights left in CT to sit out in a t-shirt and jeans, hand out with the dog, smoke a cigar, have a wee dram and read are getting fewer by the day.
[snapback]235176[/snapback]​

You inspired me to do the same. I turned the game off and wondered out to the porch to enjoy some Glenfiddich 18 (it's no Mortlach I know someday I'll try some) and a Rocky Patel (that kicked this newbies ass alittle). Anyway, this started off as a Mortlach review sorry. Off to Maine for the weekend, enjoy yours.

AVB said:
Nice review Mortlach has made some pretty good sherried malts over the years. I have the 16 yo Flora & Fauna from the UK that was being raved about. On the high side of good but not great, I'd like to see your review sans cigars to see if anything has changed. BTW, I'm pretty sure this Signatory is 12 years old as I can find nothing on a 1988 13yo but plenty on a 1988 12yo.
[snapback]235219[/snapback]​

You very well may be right about the years. I was writing from memory, as the bottle was (safely) inside the house. I'll take a look at the bottle tonight just to make sure. Perhaps I will repeat the tasting sans cigar. THat 16 is on my scotch wish list. What kept it from being "great?"

AVB said:
[snapback]235219[/snapback]​

Yep, there is a 13 yo 1988.

signevis.jpg

Signatory-Mortlach 1988

A 13 years old whisky distilled in 1988 and matured in a sherry cask.
70cl.

Price: £24.50

Ahh, had to do some digging but it seems that you are correct....mostly. The Signatory Mortlach was what is called a split run. Some was bottled at 12 and shortly thereafter the same batch was bottled at 13. To make it even more confusing Signatory started using different tins toward the end of the run too. The newer tins look like this:

Sig_Unch.jpg

In any case it is supposed to be a very good dram. Congrats on picking out a good one :thumbs:

I think I'm being conservative. There are very few "GREAT" scotches but a number of very good ones.

smokelaw1 said:
Perhaps I will repeat the tasting sans cigar. THat 16 is on my scotch wish list. What kept it from being "great?"
[snapback]235242[/snapback]​

Back