• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1998 St. Louis Rey Corona ISOM

SamGuss

I said recently in a review: “if money was no object, I would gladly live out the rest of my ISOM smoking life with Alejandro Robania Robusto’s and these Trini’s ’98. Throw in an occasional Partagas Luci and a Montecristo # 2 and I would live like a king! Course this might change when I try the Siglo VI LOL.” That was also originally written in my notes before this cigar.

It is a funny thing, as I like both ISOM and “domestic” cigars. In the domestic market I prefer shorter, large ring cigars – Rothschilds, Robusto’s and Toro’s. In the ISOM market though I am finding a rich, rewarding and diverse line up of Petite Corona’s and Corona’s. Including this particular cigar that a buddy of mine sent me (actually he sent me two!!)

Last weekend (before this one we just got through), I had one of them while out and about and was amazed at the flavors and the strength of this cigar. I told him that I would have to do a review on the other one he sent me. In the world of the higher shelf cigars, I think many great cigars get overlooked and undervalued. This is one of them in my opinion.

I prepped my palette with some Tin Roof Sundae ice cream. Rich cream, fudge, chocolate covered peanuts all mixed together. Yum, but I do digress as this is supposed to be about the cigar not the ice cream LOL. Using a punch cutter, I prepped this cigar for lighting which went off without a hitch. To jump ahead momentarily, this cigar maintained a perfect burn through the entire cigar.

Lately, I have been using single words to “brand” a cigar with. My word for the SLR Corona: consistent. The tastes, smoke, burn, ash, body, everything – about this cigar remained consistent. It was nice to sit back with such a fine smoke and after a few minutes realize that this cigar was good to go, all I had to do was sit back and enjoy it. No touch-up lights, no uneven burning, no fragileness, so be careful flicking the ash, no plugging or draw problems, nothing but a consistent smoke.

The cigar itself looked a little on the rugged side, but refined with a leather and canvas odor pre-light. While a medium body smoke, string flavors accompanied this cigar. Dry leather and dusty tastes with spicy peppers throughout the cigar. Have I mentioned how consistent this cigar was? From start to finish, this cigar remained the same tastes and body of smoke – perhaps getting a little spicier in the end, but not overly so as in many smokes.

This cigar was a consistent, filling and satisfying smoke from start to finish and I would be proud to have a few in my humi next to those Trini’s and such (that is to say if it ever comes to that point LOL). It was a nice settle back and not worry about anything cigar and simply enjoy.

I give this cigar a rating of 91-92.

Amendment to the above review: It was a 1997 SLR Corona, not a 1998.

Sam