• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

50,000 year old humidor

Humidor Minister

Here are a few pics of a desk top I recently finished. The unique thing about this humidor is that it's 50,000 years old. The darker wood is called Kauri. The trees this wood comes from grew for 10,000 years in a warm climate. Then an ice age came along and they were buried by the glacier 50,000 years ago and frozen in time. Now that the earth is going through its natural warming cycle, the trees were discovered by farmers when their plows would hit them. Some of the trees are in excess of 20 feet in diameter. It's a very difficult wood to work with. The sawdust is like flower or finer. When finished properly, it has an iridescent like a school of fish swimming by. Anyway, Here are the pictures of the humidor. Please enjoy PS sorry I didn't get better pics of the wood.
375576937.jpg

375576938.jpg

375576941.jpg

375576945.jpg

375576963.jpg

375577174.jpg

375577176.jpg

Truly amazing and an awesome piece of history as well.

+1

Great wood working skills you have there. It must be so cool to be able to make something like that.
Is it for personal use, or sale?

I always love looking at your craftsmanship. Absolutley spectacular!

Simply amazing! I love the work you do. Makes me wish I could afford one of your functional art creations.

Very nice Bill, you are the master of the master-craftsmans....... :) :thumbs: :cool:

Oh that is it...

I am coming over to your house and taking the lovely Mrs. Humidor Minister out to a lovely lamb chop diner where I will even open the car doors. Then after diner I am going to shake her hand and say thank you to her for marring the best damn humidor maker ever. :laugh:

...but seriously can she be ready around 7?

That humidor is one of the best that I have ever seen. You are a true artist. Also, I love the history lesson. Interesting facts indeed. :thumbs:

That story behind the choice of wood you used is incredible!

I'm guessing the cost of the wood is steep, so do you get hesitant about staining it as opposed to just leaving it's natural color?

There's only 1 metal hinge alongside your 2 trademark wooden hinges, something new you are trying out?

Beautiful piece!

Oh that is it...

I am coming over to your house and taking the lovely Mrs. Humidor Minister out to a lovely lamb chop diner where I will even open the car doors. Then after diner I am going to shake her hand and say thank you to her for marring the best damn humidor maker ever. :laugh:

...but seriously can she be ready around 7?

If you take her, you'll have to catch me to give her back. :laugh: She actually prefers that rustic pine furniture they make in Mexico built with concrete nails and rusted hinges. You know, better known (by me) as firewood. It kills me that she would rather have that %|#&^& than my work. Other than that she's a great woman though. :D

I really do appreceiate everyone's wonderful compliments. You are all truly an inspiration. I've only got 3 more desk tops on my to do list now. After that I'm going to make a few ashtrays and try to sneak some real furniture into the house. ( A humidor secretly disquised as an end table :0 )Unless of course I get more orders. :thumbs: