• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

500th post (or near to it) CONTEST!

Opening Note: It’s probably best to read everything in this post carefully before conducting your research. You may do more work than is necessary…

Here are 11 relatively easy questions about Groucho Marx. I know there are many fans of his at CP (including myself), so I thought this would be cool for a trivia contest. I also threw in a #12 that doesn’t have to do with Groucho, but I thought it would be a good question anyway. So, here we go:

1. When Groucho had trouble sleeping at night, he would drink a shot of something. What was it?
2. What was his favorite cigar?
3. Who was the first Marx brother to die?
4. Groucho used a fake mustache early in his career on stage. He eventually went to a “painted” mustache under his nose. Later in his career, he decided to grow a real mustache. Why did he do this?
5. On a given day, how many cigars did Groucho smoke before noon?
6. Groucho was fascinated by an advertisement, when he was 15 years old, that promised smoking this particular cigar would be "Thirty glorious minutes in Havana." What was the name of that cigar?
7. True or False. Groucho refused to check his hat with the hatcheck girl when entering a classy restaurant.
8. What is the name of Groucho’s son?
9. What year and where was he born? (Be specific…in other words, I’m looking for a specific part of a city, not just the city itself)
10. What was the name of his hit “quizmaster” show, and how many years did it run on radio and television, respectively?
11. (3 part) What is the exact date of Grouch’s death (assuming he is dead and isn’t living on an island near Atlantis with Elvis), what was the cause of his death and where did he die?
12. In the Spring 2006 issue of Smoke Magazine, what did Panelist #2 give as a rating for the DESEO Bliss?

HINT: I found the first 10 questions on a particular article on the web. If you can find the article, it will expedite your research.
For #11, you’ll have to look around a little (unless you happen to already know it).
Also, the answers must be EXACTLY right.
I am the authority on disputed answers.
For #12, if you have this issue handy, you’ll be able to find the answer quickly. If not, Smoke Magazine website has this answer.

Just when you thought the fun couldn’t get any better; I will post the URL of the website where the article is located in 25 minutes, in the event that no one has gotten all of the questions correct at that point.

First person to post all 12 correct answers wins the contest. The winner gets a 5 pack from my humidor. GOOD LUCK!

1.Ovaltine
2.Dunhill 410
3.Chico
4.So that he would be recognized in public - "Groucho was shocked to discover that none of the fans waiting at the Union Station train platform recognized him without his makeup. All the other stars, including Bob Hope, Bing Crosby and Cary Grant, were besieged by autograph hunters, but Groucho was left standing there with egg on his face. Without his mustache he was a "nobody."
5.None
6. La Preferencias
7.True
8.Arthur Marx
9.Born in 1890 on the East Side of Manhattan
10.You Bet Your Life. The show ran for four years on radio and 11 years on TV,
11. 19 August 1977 Pneumonia. (exactly 3 days after Elvis) at Cedars Sinai Medical Center
12. A contender in any horse race. This cigar is perfect for some late-night Sinatra and an iced Frangelico.
9.3 GOOD

1.Ovaltine
2.Dunhill 410
3.Chico
4.So that he would be recognized in public - "Groucho was shocked to discover that none of the fans waiting at the Union Station train platform recognized him without his makeup. All the other stars, including Bob Hope, Bing Crosby and Cary Grant, were besieged by autograph hunters, but Groucho was left standing there with egg on his face. Without his mustache he was a "nobody."
5.None
6. La Preferencias
7.True
8.Arthur Marx
10.You Bet Your Life. The show ran for four years on radio and 11 years on TV,
11. 19 August 1977 Pneumonia. (exactly 3 days after Elvis) at Cedars Sinai Medical Center
12. A contender in any horse race. This cigar is perfect for some late-night Sinatra and an iced Frangelico.
9.3 GOOD

Well done, tolije! All 12 questions are correct, congratulations! Thanks to everyone for doing the research! It was fun coming up with these questions for the contest. :D

Thanks for the contest boonedoggle, and congrats to tolije!!!
Nicely done both of you!!!

David

Not wanting to boo you or anything but you only waited 25 minutes to give the source of your article, which as you instructed answered 10 of the 12 questions. 4 minutes later the contest was won..

Good Job Tolije..

Next time a little more patience Boondoggle??

Thanks for the chance anyway!

**edited to add that I did not mean for it to come out sounding as snippy as it did. Perhaps the correct answers were PM'd to you before he posted them, and you posted the article before he replied. Who knows, my apologies if this came accross dry. I do appreciate the contest either way!

1.straight shot of Ovaltine
2. Dunhill 410
3.Leonard "CHICO" Marx - 1887-1961
4.never again would he have to paint on a mustache in order to be recognized. "I can be a real person and they'll still know me," he boasted. "And I won't have to put on makeup to work."
6.La Preferencia
7.True. I think it's outrageous for the management to expect me to buy back my hat
8.Arthur Marx
10. You Bet Your Life, 4 radio 11 years TV
11. 8/19/77, pnuemonia at Cedars Sinai Medical Center

Damn I'm way behind!!! :0 Thanks for the contest though, I learned a lot. :thumbs:

Not wanting to boo you or anything but you only waited 25 minutes to give the source of your article, which as you instructed answered 10 of the 12 questions. 4 minutes later the contest was won..

Good Job Tolije..

Next time a little more patience Boondoggle??

Thanks for the chance anyway!

**edited to add that I did not mean for it to come out sounding as snippy as it did. Perhaps the correct answers were PM'd to you before he posted them, and you posted the article before he replied. Who knows, my apologies if this came accross dry. I do appreciate the contest either way!

Just when you thought the fun couldn’t get any better; I will post the URL of the website where the article is located in 25 minutes, in the event that no one has gotten all of the questions correct at that point.

That's why I posted this...so everyone would have a heads up from the heads up I gave yesterday that I would be posting the contest @ 9:05 tonight.
Thanks for the input. I am trying to tweek my contests as best as possible for maxiumum fun!

lol I'm an idiot, in my haste to get started on researching I did not read that line! My apologies are most definitely in order. I am sorry!

Thats what I get for not reading all the details!

Thanks again for the shot at the contest! I just need to be faster!

Woooo Hoooo!! I finally won something. I wish I was this lucky with the lottery.

Now I know more about Julius Henry Marx that I never thought I wanted to know.

Fuscat - just so my glory is not deminished... I found the article before Boondoggle posted the URL. I was busy reading, copy, and pasting when he did. Google -groucho marx cigar- it is the second line that comes up. I happened to actually see the contest post about 3 minutes after he posted. Good point - I do not take it as snippy. Sore loser, but not snippy..LOL.

Jabba - "Sir, you're in a hardware store!?!". But seriously, I have spent the last 30-45 minutes trying to find the answer to your question to no avail. Boondoggle surely must know.

Thanks for the great contest.

Dang sleep, always in the way, LOL. Great contest Boone! Grats to Tony!

lol I'm an idiot, in my haste to get started on researching I did not read that line! My apologies are most definitely in order. I am sorry!

Thats what I get for not reading all the details!

Thanks again for the shot at the contest! I just need to be faster!

That's cool...but that did make me think I should have left this around for 24 hours...that way more people could have had a chance to look at it. Anyways, thanks for everyone that played and I'll use this to improve the next contest to keep it fun. :)

What size cigar was the Dunhill 410?

Come on Boone, you gotta know...

I think it was a Churchill size...I think someone already mentioned that. I was too young back then to remember anyways! :laugh:

Darn computer problems are cutting into my winnings. Congrats tolije and nice contest boone.

Darn computer problems are cutting into my winnings. Congrats tolije and nice contest boone.

Yeah, you're slump seems to have begun when you swapped Zorak drinking beer avatar for Pacino smoking cigar...hmmmmm :laugh:

Boone,

The smokes arrived today in great condition. Thanks for the prize and the opportunity to participate in the contest.