• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

60% HR

Eliek54

Hi, i'm pretty new to cigars and i read a lot about it on the net. I set up my humidor a month ago, calibrated the hygrometer and the humidity was 70%, when i put my cigars in it it dropped to 60 and it has been the same for a month. I use 50/50 solution, but i only refilled distilled water. It's a pretty small humidor (25 cigars) and i have about 15 cigars in it.

I know that as long as the humidity doesn't drop too much it's okay, but 60% seems a bit low to me. What do you guys think?

Thank you

Sorry, i calibrated my hygrometer with the salt test ans the humidity was 75%. The when i set up my humidor the humidity inside the humidor was 70%.

If you've been refilling your humidifier regularly and your humi is still at 60%, then its possible that your cigars are still soaking up moisture to reach that 70% level. Another possibility is that your humidor is not sealed properly and you're losing humidity because of it. Test the seal on your humi and then you can go from there.

thank you, how do i test if my humidor is sealed properly? put it in a ziploc bag for a few days??

but how do you keep it at the wanted level? I mean i can't even get it up 60%, i also thought that my cigars were soaking up the moisture but it's been a month now.....anyone knows how to help me?

thank you

??? what is this suppose to mean?
I'm just asking a question, i didn't understand your reply but i doubt it's to help me....anyways i was just wandering if it had ever happen to anbody and if so what did he do to solve the problem....

Recalibrate. While recalibrating, put some 50/50 in some foam, then put the humi in a cooler along with the foam. If your RH doesnt shoot up then your meter is toast.

E

Eliek54 said:
??? what is this suppose to mean?
I'm just asking a question, i didn't understand your reply but i doubt it's to help me....anyways i was just wandering if it had ever happen to anbody and if so what did he do to solve the problem....
[snapback]291918[/snapback]​

Don't mind me. Good luck with the RH.

Do a search for Viper and Beads :) That should get you started on keeping a steady RH.

symyn said:
Do a search for Viper and Beads :) That should get you started on keeping a steady RH.
[snapback]292000[/snapback]​

Yes I agree. Buy some 65% beads and say goodbye to your humidity troubles. :thumbs:

Nick

60% is what I like to keep my cigars at anyway.

As someone already mentioned, I would recommend beads.

First off relax and have a cigar. This is supposed to be a fun hobby, right? Many newbies seem to get all caught up in monitoring the humidity in their humidors. Seriously, anything between 60-70% is fine for storage. However, many do like to smoke at lower levels closer to 60%. Experiment and have fun. As many have suggested get some beads and this will help stabilize your humidity levels. Have fun!!! :D :D

I haven't bought beads yet, but I'm also at somewhere near 62% and I just stopped caring. They smoke perfectly.