• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

601 Habano Oscuro Robusto (Trunco)

Wyld Bill

Well, here is my first review on this forum!

Well, tonight we had a fundraising BBQ at work which filled my belly, so I decided to smoke one of these cigars. I have heard a great deal about these smokes and bought 2 frs of these cigars, but never got around to smoking any of them. Its a Nicaraugan cigar with long filler. These cigars are in the $7-8 range on the net, sold in boxes of 20 for approximately $146, look around and you might find a better deal on them or check one of our sponsors.

As most of you know, this cigar was made for United Tobacco by Pepin Garcia, so it should not surprise anyone that this is an incredible smoke. Pepin creates these cigar at his factory, Tabacalcera Cubana, in the Esteli. A nice 5 x52 cigar, with a beautiful dark, oily wrapper. The construction of this cigar was perfect. Slight veins, well wrapped with the exact correctness in feel. Hints of moderate spice emit from the foot of this cigar, as cedar and dark espresso. I cut this cigar with my Palio cutter and tried the draw prior to lighting. Perfect can only sum it up. Tastes of chocolate, great black pepper and leather, filled my taste buds. The band on this cigar is a green background with gold foil and white writing. It is a prestigious band.

I lit this cigar up, sat down with a bottle of water (i'm at work) at began my quest on this cigar. The draw was perfect and filled the air with an iincredible amount of smoke. Several of my employees commented on how good this cigar smelled. The burn was perfect and the flavor blend was spot on. This cigar continued with the peppery taste, as well as the espresso/chocolate mix.

The second third continued to capture my taste buds with the excellent peppry flavor, indicative a good Nic cigar. The draw, burn and construction continued to be great, with only a slight touch up on the burn. The flavor continued to develop stronger and stronger, which made me want more. Licorice also became present, as a sweetness developed, reminding me of a CC. This sweetness did nothing but add to the great flavor.

The final third had a slight burn issue that was easily corrected with another touch up. This did not detract from this great cigar. Pepper was the mainstay, but a garlic/meat flavor started to creep up slightly, which made the peppery taste even better. Great plumes of blue/grey smoke emitted from this cigar from start to finish. The finish was great and left a peppery/toast after taste.

Overall, this is an excellent cigar which will now be a mainstay in my daily smoke assortment. Pepin created another gem in this cigar and should be enjoyed by those that like full bodied, complex cigars. It kept my taste buds craving more during the entire smoke. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate this one a solid 9. The only issue that I had was the minor burn corrections, but they were easily fixed.

Don't let these cigars get away. They are a must have in my book, but that is just my humble opinion. Thanks for taking the time to review and hope that this review helps.

On a side note, this is not a cigar that should be smoked first thing of the day. It packs a punch and should be enjoyed after a good meal. Don't let that scare you away from this treasure.

Another great review. I've been wanting to try one of these and may have to go searching. Thanks again.

This really is a great smoke. The green label is my favorite in the 601 line and a staple in my humi. You just can't go wrong with these imo.

Really nice review. Try the La Punta size (figurado). I love that one. I found the corona to be a little spicier than the Trunco and La Punta.

Well, I liked your review! :thumbs:

I'm smoking a corona of the same blend as I type this. The only one I've yet to try is the big Trabuca, which was SO good in the Habano(Red Band) line.
I agree with Laslo - the La Punta is a classic and such a well rolled perfecto, too!

But these corona are a nifty 40 min smoke.

Great first CPass review, bro. ;)

Steve