• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

601's

theorangeman

Last night I went to a cigar event at Edwards (in Tampa) in which they were featuring 601 cigars. I was pretty excited since I have yet to try any sticks from this line and I'm a big Pepin fan. However, after trying the Serie Habano (red label) and then later, the Serie Connecticut, I left disappointed. Both smokes just didn't do much for me and l became bored after a while, particularly with the Connecticut. The Serie Habano, which was being touted last night as a full bodied smoke, sure didn't seem like it to me. While it did have an excellent burn, construction was very good and the ash was a nice white color which held uniform (very little flaking), everything else was pretty ho-hum.

After getting home last night I read some reviews and came across a post from Indyrob which sums up my experience and opinion on these cigars very well...

Be wary of looking for a "Pepin-esque" cigar when you read that it's blended by Don Pepin. I like the 601's but they are a far cry from being what you expect from the Pepin line, Cabiguan, Tatuaje or even Padilla.

They are good cigars and probably the best use of what tobacco United decides to buy, but I do think that it is different than what is bought for the botique lines of Tatuaje, Padilla & Pepin lines.

While I wasn't very impressed with the Serie Habano or the Serie Connecticut, I would like to try the Habano again. Perhaps my second experience will be different. I would also like to try the Serie BP Maduro since I didn't get a chance to light one up last night. I heard some good things last night about this smoke. However, I agree with Rob in that if trying these smokes for the first time, try going into it without expecting a typical Pepin smoke; doing so will probably allow you to more fully enjoy the cigar.

I kinda agree, I'm hoping with some downtime they'll come out of there shell.

I had a maduro a few nights ago and it is definitely better out of the 3 601's but IMO not like the other pepins sticks by far. PM coming on the maduro. ;)

I picked up one of the Maduro from Edwards the other day. The sales guy said they were great. I figure I will let it rest for a while since they are generally very moist coming out of the Humi.

I start to go to that event, but decided against it.

Ken

Sorry to hear about this. I haven't had any of the 601's but was looking forward to sampling a few. Not too excited about it now, as I know Nicks taste buds are a good yard stick.

I won't search them out, but if I come across a couple I'll still givem a go.

Ken, if you go to the next event, let me know. We will have to hook up sometime and enjoy a smoke. By the way, I believe Cigar Castle (near the USF campus) is having a Rocky Patel event next Thursday. I'm pretty sure I'll be there, even though I'm not a very big RP fan. The events are a good time and the guys that hang out there are good company. Also, the beer on tap doesn't hurt either. :thumbs:

Sorry to hear about this. I haven't had any of the 601's but was looking forward to sampling a few. Not too excited about it now, as I know Nicks taste buds are a good yard stick.

Wyatt, somehow I knew you would find this thread. Anything that Pepin touches is of great interest to us Pepin whores! :laugh:

Although I didn't like the red label last night, I do want to try another one sometime just to make sure my second opinion is the same. I look forward to trying the maduro, as it seems like it might be the best of the bunch - thanks, Mike!

Ken, if you go to the next event, let me know. We will have to hook up sometime and enjoy a smoke. By the way, I believe Cigar Castle (near the USF campus) is having a Rocky Patel event next Thursday. I'm pretty sure I'll be there, even though I'm not a very big RP fan. The events are a good time and the guys that hang out there are good company. Also, the beer on tap doesn't hurt either. :thumbs:

Wyatt, somehow I knew you would find this thread. Anything that Pepin touches is of great interest to us Pepin whores! :laugh:

Although I didn't like the red label last night, I do want to try another one sometime just to make sure my second opinion is the same. I look forward to trying the maduro, as it seems like it might be the best of the bunch - thanks, Mike!

I don't even bother with the conn's in this series. The reds have never proven problematic for me in any regard (though they are fully in the medium-bodied category, not full), but do get better with age. The maduros are excellent.

Don't know if you tried it, but you should give the 601 La Punta a try. It is a new entry and a much different animal than the other reds. FWIW, here's a review/thread I did on it a little bit ago:

601 La Punta

I don't even bother with the conn's in this series. The reds have never proven problematic for me in any regard (though they are fully in the medium-bodied category, not full), but do get better with age. The maduros are excellent.

Don't know if you tried it, but you should give the 601 La Punta a try. It is a new entry and a much different animal than the other reds. FWIW, here's a review/thread I did on it a little bit ago:

601 La Punta

Thanks for the link - your review was terrific! I'll definitley have to try one.

That's a great looking ashtray you have there and your dog (passed out) caused me to chuckle. :D

I've ben dragging my feat on writing a review of a Blue-Label 601 that I smoked on Sunday, I'll try and get it up today.

The capsule version is it was OK but nothing special. It started off with a very similar profile to a PAM, but it never really developed. For the $13 I paid for it I'd rather smoke a J21, a PAM corona, or any number of other sticks.

601 La Punta

Thanks for the link - your review was terrific! I'll definitley have to try one.

That's a great looking ashtray you have there and your dog (passed out) caused me to chuckle. :D

Thanks. The ashtray was a little mom/pop made job I picked up from a merchant in the British Virgin Islands last year. Scored two of them in fact.

I smoked the 601 Torpedo Maduro and all I can say is wow. Where have these been all my life. I wished I could afford 20 boxes of these right now. :D

Thus far, I've really enjoyed the Habano 601s. Definitely not a Tat, but they're also a step better than the Padilla Achilles. However, I do agree wholeheartedly with your call on the Conn wrapper. Boring. It tasted alright, might be great for a mild cigar lover, but there was nothing there to keep my interest.

If anybody wants to move some Habano 601s, I'm game.

I havent had a maddie yet, but I really do enjoy the Conn's. Give them another shot.

Thanks for the 601 La Punta review MC, they not only sound delicious, they look marvelous. Definitely a must get cigar for my next purdhase. :thumbs: