• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

65 or 70%?

joselastra

well ive finally have my humidorset up, all is working well. my current setup is holding steady at 72%. ive been trying to find the differences/preferences of those who have it set at 65 or set at 70%. whats the going census around here? and why? im going to purchase some heartfelt beads this week so thats why im asking. any articles/posts would be appreciatd, i tried searching but could not find any.

Try using the Google search bar on the bottom of the page instead of the forum search on the top.

I'm finding 70% too high and I'm getting burn issues. Lately I've been keeping my sticks at around 65% and I haven't had to relight one yet.

Keep 'em at whatever smokes best to you. It's an individual preference.

I just recently discovered I was keeping my smokes a little dry for my liking.
I've had a 50 ct for a year it never had the best seal. It would usually be around 58-61. I figured they were smoking fine so I didn't worry about it. I recently upgraded to a coolordor. (As you will in time if you stick around here. Trust me ;) ) that keeps RH a LOT better. It's been staying around 64-67 depending on how much I'm into it. I felt some sticks and they felt softer and I wondered if they'd smoke well at all.
I lit one up the other day and was surprised how much more I enjoyed it at a slightly higher RH. I had smoked on from this same box earlier that I put in my 50ct at a lower RH and while it was still good. I found it to be almost night and day how much more I enjoyed it.

So to make a long story short. It's up to you. Personal preference. It may take a few smokes to find what you like to keep them at.

I like 60%. Anything higher for me and I feel like I'm fighting to keep them lit.

I like 70% and being from Houston also, I find I fight keeping my cigars to moist. Unlike alot of our BOTLs things stay pretty humid here year around. :p

I have a couple of 1500 count end tables, both of which I run the big Cigar Oasis XL+'s. IMO, some of it depends on where you live (and the weather), some of it depends on your personal preference, as stated above.

After trying different rh's over the past few years, I have come to the conclusion that I like mine at around 65%. If it bumps up or down 1 or 2%, no big deal. Also, if you live in a warm climate and you keep it around 70%, and it jumps 1 or 2%, you stand a much better chance of having a biology experiment in your humi. Also IMO, cigars age a little better at 65 to 67%, especially the maddies.

I like 60%. Anything higher for me and I feel like I'm fighting to keep them lit.

Yes !! It's good to hear that I'm not the only one having trouble keeping them lit. :laugh:

At least, that's the issue I had with every single stick at a ~70% (but wildly ranging) humidor until I got my tube of beads.

thanks guys for pointing me to the google search feature. reading up on it lat night i decided to go w 65% beads. ill keep you updated

60%

You need to start using your shift key and lay off with the lazy, immature, sloppy writing style you're displaying here or your stay here is going to be unpleasant.

well ive finally have my humidorset up, all is working well. my current setup is holding steady at 72%. ive been trying to find the differences/preferences of those who have it set at 65 or set at 70%. whats the going census around here? and why? im going to purchase some heartfelt beads this week so thats why im asking. any articles/posts would be appreciatd, i tried searching but could not find any.

I've beaten myself up on this topic. There is no right or wrong, but there are some things you should do. One is don't let the humidity go over 72% at all costs. Also, keep your hygrometers up to snuff. I check mine every three months (recommended every 6). Rotate your stock every six months and check for mold every two months or so. Also, air out the cigars as often as possible- provided that the ambient % is between 63% and 70%. It makes the room smell great!

I try and keep the humidity at 68% for aging and 65% for smoking. Seems to work for me.

I like 70% beads. They keep my cigars a bit more moist
and they smoke a bit cooler. Also, in the winter when the
humidity drops, I find that the 70% beads still keeps my
humi at least 64-65%. With 65% beads, in the winter my
humi drops to 60% or even a bit lower, which is too dry.

Drier cigars smoke hotter, which eliminates some of the
more subtle flavors, and can cause other unwanted
problems like cracked wrappers, etc.

I'm setting up a new wine-a-dor and have a pound of
70% beads coming in for about 3 cu. ft. of space. It
may take another 1/2 lb. of beads to stabilize it, but
that's part of the learning curve to setting up a new humi.

Many guys store at 70% and use a dry box to have them
a bit drier for smoking. My dry box is 65%, but I only keep
a few sticks in it for smoking in the next week. And I
don't hesitate to smoke one immediately from my 70% humi.

Chemyst :cool:

When I kept my humi's at 70% uneven burning seemed to be common. After my switch to 65% all is well and even burning. :thumbs:

I like a cooler smoke and a tighter draw. I don't like the burn of just smoke. I feel if my RH is about 65% and lower, that's what I get. I like to keep it above 65% and below 72%. I've always payed attention to the details in anything I do. So, cigars is not exception.

-Gianni-

Most of my stuff burns just fine at 70%, but a few like it 2-3% lower, so I stay in between as best I can. Lately it's been 69% with nothing at all in there.