• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

65 people killed in Australian Bushfires

saltypete

Southern Australia (states of Victoria and South Australia) have recorded their highest temperatures in history in the last week. Yesterday the mercury hit 48 degrees Celsius (118 F), because they are also in the midst of a terrible drought, the country is tinder dry. Sadly the worst happened and bushfires have claimed at least 65 lives and left close to 1000 people homeless. What is worse is the fact that most of the fires were deliberately lit. This happens a lot during heatwaves and I cannot fathom why. My prayers are with those who have lost loved ones and those who are homeless. I tip my hat to the brave men and women of the Volunteer Bush Firebrigade who bravely fought to save lives and property. To those who light these fires, I believe there is a special place in hell for you.

Pete

I know all too well about fires living in Southern California. We might not get the heat like you did, but the Santa Ana winds can make the place feel like a blow-dryer blowing on you face. With conditions like that, any fire that starts purposely or accidentally will grow exponentially out of control.

Sorry to hear of the loses. I hope the fires get put out and the temperature drops.

I guess in California you would have the added problem of the population density, so if a fire does get out of control you have tens of thousands of people and homes threatened. Believe it or not, the tropical north of my home state (Queensland) is experiencing massive flooding thanks the remnants of a cyclone. The other half which is mostly outback, is in a terrible drought,and the Southeast of the state where most of the popuation lives has water restrictions and dam capacities of less than 40%. A beautiful country, but a harsh land of contrasts.

Pete

Unfortunately the official toll is around 85 now, and still climbing.

It all happened so quick, people were given mere minutes to react. Scary stuff. There was a small bushfire really close to where I live as well.