• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

65% RH

wam79

I've figured out (with an assist from "The salty nuts dude") that I should keep my cigars at 65%. My question is how should I get the cigars down to 65%?
The RH where I live is 70-80% most of the time and I've been trying to keep the cigars @ 75%. Do I just put them into 65%, or do I need to adjust them down in stages?

Bill

wam79 said:
I've figured out (with an assist from "The salty nuts dude") that I should keep my cigars at 65%. My question is how should I get the cigars down to 65%?
The RH where I live is 70-80% most of the time and I've been trying to keep the cigars @ 75%. Do I just put them into 65%, or do I need to adjust them down in stages?

Bill
I don't think 75% to 65% is that big of a jump. The container will probably take several days to settle anyways.

When you put them into a Humi that is stable at 65%, the beads will start to absorb the extra moiture and bring them down slowly. You may have to actually dry your beads with a hair drier from time to time if the Humidity in the house is that high. Good thing you are going with the beads, cause with PG you would have a hard time bring the RH down in the first place.

Wade uses Vern's magic 65% beads and they work great for him in the same neck of the woods as you :)

My barometer has been steady @ 70% for the last couple of days. I've been able to get the cigars to 70% by keeping the container open.
Now I just have to figure out how to keep the weather from changing :p

Bill

I placed 1 lb of 65% beads in my cooli. How long before they adjust the humididty to the 65%? I had to leave the door ajar again last night because closing it was again bringing the humidity up to about 75%.

Scott Bushey said:
I placed 1 lb of 65% beads in my cooli. How long before they adjust the humididty to the 65%? I had to leave the door ajar again last night because closing it was again bringing the humidity up to about 75%.
took me about a week. Check your hygrometer.

I use climmax and it works well for me. They have a website you can check out.

Keep in mind that if your beads have too much water in them (or just enough for that matter) they will not bring the RH down. Just like a sponge, beads can get waterlogged. If your RH in the room is high, you may need to dry the beads some with a hair drier in order to "make room" for more moisture to be absorbed.

In my case, I have to recharge my beads every now in then, I just put a wet floral sponge in there for a day or so and the beads absorb some moisture and all is well. But in my apt. the RH is about 45-50%.

In a room that is over 65% on a regular basis, that means your beads will try to bring it down, when they are full, they cannot absorb any more ???

Thanks for the advice. I'm waiting for the climaxx beads to arrive in the mail. I've set up a cooler and have been keeping it at 65-70% RH.

The weather is getting warmer 70-75 at night 85 in the day.
I'm going to have to work some OT and get the cooler. :D
With all I'm learning here I'm getting paranoid about beetles :0

Bill