• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

70% Beads and low humidity

fetterjohn

Non-active but active and lurking!
I've been using Heartfelt beads now for a while...65% for a while and now have moved to the 70%. The reason for the switch is due to low humidity (60%). My humi...200 count...seams to be sealed well, good "thump" when closed, no noticable gaps in the lid. I have quite a bit of 70% beads in there and plenty of distilled water. What can be the problem? Little worried that my sticks will be affected. Any help?

-Fetter

I've been using Heartfelt beads now for a while...65% for a while and now have moved to the 70%. The reason for the switch is due to low humidity (60%). My humi...200 count...seams to be sealed well, good "thump" when closed, no noticable gaps in the lid. I have quite a bit of 70% beads in there and plenty of distilled water. What can be the problem? Little worried that my sticks will be affected. Any help?

-Fetter

You might want to recalibrate your hygrometer using the Boveda kit (it's worth the $4).

How many beads do you have in there?

Good suggestion to make sure the meter is giving accurate readings, also what is the temperature?

Its hard to trust the beads when the hygro consistantly reads low. However, I would be more likely to blame the meter than the beads. They're virtually infallible. Two things - how old is the battery in your meter? If your battery is near death, the meter will read low. Also, are your beads discolored at all?

I'm about to spring for this meter at Mark's.

I would be suspicious of the hygrometer as well. If you have not calibrated it lately you might want to salt test it or use a Boveda Calibration Kit to check its accuracy.

Thanks all for the replies. The battery is new on the digital...the temp is 71. I'll do the salt test tonight.

Thanks again,

-Fetter

Thanks all for the replies. The battery is new on the digital...the temp is 71. I'll do the salt test tonight.

Thanks again,

-Fetter

After a 11 hour salt test...70 degrees and a perfect 75% Rh. So whats happening? What so you all think is the cause for the low Rh in the humi using 70% beads?

-Fetter

Try putting a shot glass of water in the humi and letting it sit in there for 3-4hrs, if the humidity doesn't raise, I'd say you have a seal issue. Who knows.

1. Did you season your humi properly?
2. Is it over 50 percent full?
3. Did you do the flashlight test on it?
4. Did you do the dollar bill test on it?

Try putting a shot glass of water in the humi and letting it sit in there for 3-4hrs, if the humidity doesn't raise, I'd say you have a seal issue. Who knows.

The 'thump' on a 200ct would be good enough for me. More questions:

What are you using to contain the beads?

When did you last enjoy ~65%?

BTW, I pulled all my hygros to check batteries. Two have AAA and two have 3V coin. All 4 were fresh as of 2/06. My voltmeter showed 1.55 on each AA and 3.0+ on both coins. Still fresh after 11 months!

In the winter when the ambient humidity dips into the teens, I place a humidifier in the room and it brings the universe back into harmony.

Fetter-

You may want to put an "Oust Fan" in the humi (assuming it will fit and that you aren't already using one). I generally use the 65% beads but, I have found that a little circulation works wonders when the outside humidity drops as it does here during the winter. Good luck

DT

If it is a humi with a removable tray (and your gauge is up top) I'd check the circulation as well.

I have a 150 ct that I used to use and when the top tray was more than half full the humidity on my gauge would drop several points. I drilled that thing so full of holes so it was barely staying together before it stopped doing that.

Just a thought...

I think I have narrowed it down to one thing...I have 60% beads instead of 70% beads! Since my hygro salt tested at a perfect 75% Rh...and my humi was fine until switched to the 70%...this leads me to believe that the beads are the wrong beads, 60% not 70% (the Rh has been a perfect rock-steady 60% for the last week). I am testing my theory by having placed the 65% beads back in the humi...I wil wait a few days to see what happens.

-Fetter

beads are beads, it is just to what humidity they are conditioned to.... They are all the same... trust me. They are not the same as kitty litter. It would take five pounds of kitty litter to do the same as one pound of beads.

beads are beads, it is just to what humidity they are conditioned to.... They are all the same... trust me. They are not the same as kitty litter. It would take five pounds of kitty litter to do the same as one pound of beads.

Shooter,

Thanks for the advice and the PM...but how do I recondition the beads? Even the 65% are reading 60%. How do I get them back to 65% or 70% Rh beads? What is the process?

-Fetter

Shooter,

Thanks for the advice and the PM...but how do I recondition the beads? Even the 65% are reading 60%. How do I get them back to 65% or 70% Rh beads? What is the process?

-Fetter

Check your pm I am to hammered to elaborate

I thought I had bought a quality humi a couple years back when I had very little experience. Since I have been checking out humis when I go to B&Ms and I have noticed a few things.

1. Some humis make a whoosh sound when they close and the lid has trouble covering the last millimeter due to air pressure build up inside. That's how well a humi CAN seal.

2. Some reek of cedar and some have a mild odor.

3. Some are very expensive and those usually make the whoosh and stink of cedar.

Draw your own conclusions from these observations. ;)