• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

80's Davidoff Chateau Mouton Rothschild

massphatness

I had an opportunity to smoke an 80's Chateau Mouton Rothschild shortly after the New Year. Unfortunately, the atmosphere was less than ideal -- at my office, in the kitchen, while pouring over files from the past few years in preparation of an IRS audit.
blush.gif

My only previous experience with the Davidoff marca was a 70's 3000-series that was mind blowing. The Mouton unfortunately, while good, did not come close to the other worldly experience I had with the 3000.

The construction of this cigar was perfect. Soft, sleek and seemingly without veins, this was a beautiful cigar to behold. The pre-light draw was a little flat though not at all musty - a characteristic I sometimes pick up in a well aged cigar.

First third burned sharp. Flavors were a bit muted but clean, somewhat like a fresh linen experience, but more subtle. As the cigar progressed I had an expectation (actually a desire) to taste what has been described as a papery-like taste; something that was overwhelming present in the 3000-series stick I had smoked previously. Alas, it was not to be. While the flavors remain clean, almost crisp, they did not approach the complex and nuanced tastes I was hoping for in this stick. The remainder of the cigar was enjoyable with a short to medium finish that was light and a little airy, but my enthusiasm for the stick was dimmed because I had such high expectations for it. I wanted to recapture those other worldly flavors I had previously, and when it failed to live up to that level, I was left lamenting the experience a bit. Sounds silly, I know, because the cigar was very good. But it was not great. I wanted a Top 5 kind of smoke. Maybe I had unreasonable expectations, but while I wouldn't refuse one if offered, neither would I pay "collector" prices for one.

This isn't my typical smoke, btw. (Oh that it were!) I'm far more pedestrian, but I wanted to share the review.

4290716230_525d7d399d.jpg

4289972861_612bd6d228.jpg

Nice review! I hope to find something from the early 80's someday. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry to hear that the experience was disappointing, but nonetheless...it seems it was still a great experience.

Nice review!

<br />Sorry to hear that the experience was disappointing, but nonetheless...it seems it was still a great experience.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Ummm...disappointingly great experience?

I'l take: Contextual English to Chenmaneze for $1200, Alex!
unsure.gif

laugh.gif

Interesting! Thanks for sharing. I wonder what they were like at their peak around 15 or so years ago?

Steve