• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A.F. Hemmingway....

SKYDIVNEKD

Call me "Walt Kowalski"
Over the last few months, I've noticed a lapse in quality in the Hemi Signatures and Classics (natural wrapper). The problems I've experienced are with the wrapper. Tears prior to lighting, after lighting the wrapper wants to come undone (in different areas of the stick), little holes in the wrappers (not bettle holes), etc. The taste hasn't been a problem though.

These sticks have come from a variety of locations so I know it's not the fault of one particular establishment. Maybe just a bad batch. Anyone else experience these issues? :whistling:

Floyd T.

Damaged wrappers, patched wrappers, moldy boxes. Oh yeah, quality control has definitely gone down. I also get a bit upset when I pull out a nice thick stem from my Flor Fina.

Had a Forbidden X yesterday that had a shit-load of cedar sap under the cedar wrap... WTF!?

Although you have to expect that the very delicate camaroon wrapper that they use for the Hemingway series will andmay at some point have some problems...

-Fetter

I have have had draw issues with the WOA and WOAM. I'm going to wait for the next batch to give them a tray again.

Seems like alot of batches were downhill last year.

This is another non-positive sign. the mold was a bad deal, but construction problems would be an even bigger problem. I haven't seen any personally and I hope this is isolated.

I hope this is isolated as well. Mold is, and draw could conceivably be, storage problems, but like FlyFish says, construction is much more serious (i.e. AF's historically exemplary quality slipping). I have just today received a box of Signatures, and will let you guys know how they are once I get home to open them.

FWIW, my box of signatures is perfect. I'm sitting here drooling as I type this, wanting to fire one up right now despite it being past my bedtime and needing to let the cigars rest for a week or two in the humi first... I would take a photo for you, but I can't find the camera and I'm too tired to go on a quest for it just now... see you all tomorrow!

Although you have to expect that the very delicate camaroon wrapper that they use for the Hemingway series will andmay at some point have some problems...

I've noticed they are sensitive to cold weather and frequent handling.

That said, I've experienced slight mold issues with last December's Anejo release as well as sappy wrappers over the years, but never construction issues. If there are any major problems, I'm sure AF would be all over it.

Do as Wilkey suggests. Run spring water over the stick before you cut the cap off, be careful not to get water into the foot.
Allow to dry off a little, snip the cap and away you go. Not only does this help with the wrapper, somehow the stick tastes better - works for me.

Brian

Brian....I'll try the spring water thing. Ya know, the draw has been fine on all of the aforementioned cigars and mold hasn't been a problem either. It's definately the quality control. They've all had the cello on and haven't been handled harshly. Another thing I noticed, which truly isn't a big deal to me, is the glue that's left all over the stick. I understand they use it for the cap and possibly the foot, but this stuff is all over the stick. Fingerprints up and down the length of the stick as well as near the band. Hmmmmm. :whistling:

Maybe just a glitch in the program! :whistling:

Floyd T.

Interesting... I have never had any problems with the AF Hemingways. Hopefully it was just a bad batch and not signs of things to come.