• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A Good Cigar, A Good Port, and English Stilton Cheese

DanTheMan

The Original - Except No Substitutes!!!
My family and I were walking thru the "Oldtown" area of our fine city of Eureka during our July 4th Gala Celebration, and we entered a Wine/Art gallery in which we met a friend of a friend and struck up a lengthy conversation. During this talk I mentioned that my son-in-law, Humboldtflier and myself had become cigar aficionado's. This gentleman was very knowledgeable about things of the finer side of life having owned a local Italian Restaurant for several years and being in "certain circles" for decades. During our mention of trying a few Port wines, he mentioned that he had read a biography of Sir Winston Churchill and that after dinner most nights Mr. Churchill would set down with one of his Cuban cigars that he was known for, a good Port wine, and a serving of "triple cream" English Stilton Cheese. He stated that first a small bit of the blue veined English Stilton Cheese enters your mouth and is chewed slightly, then a sip of Port wine is drawn thru the Stilton, then as the mouth is cleared of both of these, a draw of the fine cigar is pulled thru the now very stimulated pallette.
I had tried a Port wine during one of J and I's last mini-herf, and to my taste it was very much, probably too much on the sweet side. I picked up a bottle of Tawny Port last week at the only store that had the English Stilton, after reading that Tawny was less sweet than other Ports. I did not find any Stilton specifically marked "triple cream", but did find small packages of around a quarter pound of clearly marked "English Stilton" cheese, imported from England. A couple of nights ago we were trying a couple cigars out, so I cut up a bit of the Stilton, poured a couple glasses of Tawny Port, and grabbed a AF Flor Fina 8-5-8 and set out for the Patio.
I have to say that this was a very interesting combination, and after a couple mixes of the three, the Stilton took on merely a kind of Salty taste, the Port tasted less sweet to me, and the taste of the cigar was freshened and seemed to be more defined than consecutive regular puffs. This was definitely an awesome combination to me as I have been trying different red wines but have stayed away from the Port for some reason. The bottle I picked up was a lower end Port made by Offley, since I didn't want to pay alot of money for something I might not like. My son-in-law stated "... the taste of the Stilton is ok, but it's going to have to grow on me".
So my thought was to post a forum topic here and see if there was any feedback on this interesting combination. If any of you have any thoughts on this- please reply! and watch for my next forum topic concerning "Breaking Wind During a Herf- What's the Penalty?" (It came up at our last mini-herf) :)
See ya all in a Cloud of Smoke- Dan

I will have to give this a try! The Port, cheese, and cigar, not the fart.

Hey now... I left the general vicinity before breaking wind!!! I didn't want to muck up our wonderfully cigar smoke filled air! :blush: :D

That was definitely an interesting experience. I will have to give her another go next time to see if my initial thoughts change...

and watch for my next forum topic concerning "Breaking Wind During a Herf- What's the Penalty?" (It came up at our last mini-herf) :)
See ya all in a Cloud of Smoke- Dan

Hey stogiefarts... help us out with this one will ya? :sign: