• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A.J. Fernandez, Ave Maria Reconquista

Vicster

Social identity theory
This is my first review so I thought I would try something that I do not believe has been done before. The A.J. Fernandez Ave Maria Reconquista.

Country of Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Brazilian Habano Oscuro
Binder: Honduras
Filler: Esteli Habano, Condega Habano, Jalapa Habano

Size: 7"x 54
Price: MSRP $20.00

I read some of the reviews on this cigar and it sounded great. I was curious if it could actually live up to some of the hype and ratings. It looks and smells like it should be a great stick and I had an opportunity to pick up two for half price.

Appearance/Construction: Cigar is packaged in a coffin and looks fantastic. The very dark oily wrapper has few veins almost no visible seam. There were no flaws or soft spots, flawless construction overall.

Pre-Light: The cigar has a wonderful smell, dark chocolate with a bit of earthiness and spice. The pre-light draw was spot on, not to tight or loose with the same taste as the smell.

First third: Initially I was hit with heavy spice and woodsy tobacco. This slowly settled into a definite dark chocolate, spice, leathery mix. There was a hint of bite as I call it. Burn was spot on, the ash was light gray and very tight. Medium bodied so far.

Middle: The cigar continued to burn perfectly. The flavor pretty much stayed the same with chocolate and a woodsy/leather flavor but the bite went away. On occasion I picked up a hint of coffee. The stick is smoking very well with a decent amount of smoke staying in the medium body range.

End: The burn started to go a bit sideways but nothing major, ash was still tight. The dark chocolate flavor was more pronounced with a hint of spice and woodsy/leather and the occasional coffee. Not much changed. Still a medium smoke with an increase in flavor and a hint of creaminess on the finish.

Overall: I have to say after the reviews I read the cigar did not live up to the hype and ratings. It was a good cigar, good flavor but a bit on the mild side for me. It did not leave me saying that was a great cigar where can I get more. If I had paid $20 I may have been a bit disappointed. On the flip side as a $10 stick it was something different for me and a nice change. If you come across one at the right price I would not turn it down. I have a second one that I am going to let rest through the winter and give it another shot.