• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A little help...

vintageafficianado

I just got one of those wooden cigar box humidors, nothing fancy. But I really have no idea how to maintain the humidity in it. I filled the green sponge with the humi fluid but the barometer does go above like 60. When I first got it, it stayed at 70 fairly well. But now Im having some issues. Is it possible to over-saturate the sponge? and how often am I supposed to saturate it? thanks.

It will probably take a while for the wood inside the humidor to absorb moisture. I spray distiled water (or you can wipe it on or rub in in with a sponge) on all the wood inside the humidor. Some people may tell you that this is not a good idea (like it will rot the wood or something) but it's a standard way to condition a humidor, especially a new one or one that has not been used in quite a while.

Do that and wait a few hours then see where you're at.

Humidiors also work better when they have cigars in them. Is yours full, half empty or completely empty?

YES U CAN OVERFILL!!!

If there is no where for the PG to put the moisture in the air then it might get OVER humdified. Other than that if U are too low (ie. 60 RH ) (then 1st do a salt test on your hygrometer) then spray some distilled water as CC sugested and that should bring it up. But don't worry! It will take a bit for things to stabalize and the wood to stop soaking up water from the air AND your cigars.

Phil

Hey Vintage, I like the new photo!!!

Also, depending on where you live, this (December) is probably the worst time of the year for dryness. That's right I think you're in NY, I'm in the northeast too, in CT so I've found that in December, January & February, the moisture devices in the humis dry up pretty quickly. In the summer, they'll go for month without a problem but now, I have to add water quite frequently.

If you do the wiping down/spraying bit, just be careful and do it in light stages, especially with a "cheaper' humidor. Reason is not wood rot, etc., it could warp the lid or sides and cause a seal leak.
If the humidor doesn't seal well, then like CC said, it could be the winter months drying out the unit quicker than before. Or, it could be that your hygrometer is off.

Salt test

Take the cap off of a 2 litre and fill it with salt. Put a few drops of distilled water in the cap with the salt until you get "sludge" NOT RUNNY, sludgy.

Then carefully place the cap and your hygrometer in a plastic bag. NOTE * DO NOT LET THE HYGROMETER TOUCH THE SALT* Leave in there overnight (at least 8 hrs) and then read what it says 75 RH is what the inside of the bag will be at so whatever it is off take note of it or calibrate to 75 ( I DON"T recomend calibration unless it is digital, but there are many who do)

I have 2 that are about -10 RH and 1 that is -3RH. Just make a note of it and U will know what the RH is.

Hope that helps and there are MANY versions of this but I know this one works well so I DON"T NEED ANY GRIEF FROM NO ONE ABOUT A "BETTER" WAY!

or go to www.cigargroup.com and look at thier FAQ's, acctually go there anyway and look at thier FAQ's cause they might answer a lot of questions U have.

phil