• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A little Meerschaum guidance

Point taken Mr Peat. I will check out some local B&M's to get more of a feel. Thanks

There's definitely a lot of cheap Meers to be found on Ebay if you want something inexpensive to start out on. I'd recommend buying new, as I wouldn't trust a used one from just anyone (if you look at the pics of a lot of used ones on Ebay, the rim of the bowl is charred to shit and probably caked with carbon inside as well, both NOT good at all).

Another nice thing about Meers is that you can smoke 'em multiple times a day, unlike briars which need a lot of rest, just make sure you don't let carbon cake build up inside the bowl.

Dont worry about the carbon cake whatsoever. Its easy to remove and a pipe needs around a dime sized cake thick of carbon anyways. I've smoked the hell out of my Meershaums and haven't seen a cake build up yet. But my briars build up fas. I do agree there is plenty of cheap, decent Meershaums pipes that can be found on Ebay. I also prefer a new pipe as I won't settle for a used one. You never know how it was treated before you.I've found the biggest problem with new pipes is that the rim will be burnt to hell in a hand basket and also the bit will be chewed to hell. I myself do not bit my bits whatsoever. A little cleaning and they look like new ones if they are taken care of. :thumbs:

How long does it usually take for a Meerschaum to start colouring nicely?
Say smoking it once a week.

Just got a CAO Meer, will post a pic when I get it.

How long does it usually take for a Meerschaum to start colouring nicely?
Say smoking it once a week.

Just got a CAO Meer, will post a pic when I get it.

Its gonna take some time thats for sure. Several of mine started to color after like 10 to 20 bowls smoked. But they have some serious small bowls on them.