• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A little newbie salt test clairifacation

Snoozer

Ok so I got my new hydrometer and Calibration Kit from heartfelt. I left the hygrometer in the bag for about 36 hrs and it has a steady reading of 70% now. Since the bag is 75% I'm off by 5. (duh LOL) So now that I know that, anything my meter reads I should add 5% to and that will be an accurate reading?
Example: I have 65% beads in my humidor so the ideal reading I want because I'm off by 5 is 70?
Sorry for the basic question, I just want to be positive about what I'm doing with my cigars.
thanks again guys. ;)

No. If you have 65% beads the reading should be 60 since you are reading 5% low.

Honestly, no matter how correctly you do a salt test there are so many ways it can read incorrectly. Too much water, not enough water, not letting it sit long enough, etc, etc, etc.

Your best bet is to go to your local B&M and ask for one of the humi packs that come inside every box of CAO or Torano cigars. They usually throw them out, and they're set to 65% or 70%. Put one or two of them in a plastic baggie with your hygrometer for a day or so and it should give you a very accurate reading.

Since we throw all ours away we just give them out to whoever wants them.

No. If you have 65% beads the reading should be 60 since you are reading 5% low.
LOL...when I first looked at his post it reminded me of a Mary has 2 apples and John has 3 brain teaser, :sign:
Well spotted.

Brian