• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A new single malt from Islay

sigar_zealot

FattyMcButterPants
A local had 5-6 bottles of this tonight. I figured it had to be a blend but I was wrong. Priced at $59.99.
Smokehead

Same price point as Lagavullin 16. Have you tried it? How does it compare?

AVB, any input/thoughts on this?

Speaking of Islays---this one IS a blend:

black-bottle.jpg

It's also only $20 a bottle, and really good. Not as overpoweringly peaty/smoky as the single malts, but has a definite Islay flavor and nice finish at a great price.

~Boar

I had never seen it before tonight. Maybe AVB or Seth from Shopper's Vineyards will know more.
I need to read more before deciding to purchase one or not. My shelves are getting really full. :laugh:

I offered the Smokehead in a few of my past buys back in 2006 (for $60) and I've offered the Smokehead 18 last year. The reason you don't see it in the buys now is because it has been released in the US. I think it has more bite then the Black Bottle although the Black Bottle 10 is smoother. This along with the Peat Monster and the aforementioned BB10 make for a good alternative to some of the Islay single malts and usually at a lower price point.

Seeing Ian McLeod's name on this (The same guy that makes Chieftains) has me intrigued. From what I have read and then reading AVB's comments I am a little confused.

Smokehead appears to be a single malt while Compass Box Peat Monster is a blend of single malts, or simply blended malt whisky. It looks like the terms Vatted and Pure Malt have been disallowed.

There was a topic on Whisky Magazine where a lot of people think Ian purchases his whisky for Smokehead from Caol Ila, but I never saw any proof.

Royal Mile Whiskies is saying Black Bottle 10 was discontinued in 2010 so stock up now if you are a fan.

The current correct term is Blended Malt Scotch Whisky for those that have no grain whiskies. Smokehead is a Single Malt and at the UK price is positioned more in the Blend price range but once you add shipping to the US it goes up by a third. $60 is a bit high for it IMO, $52-53 is about right.

Thanks for the information guys. Sounds like Smokehead is worth at least a try.

As for the Black Bottle, is there two different offerings? All the text descriptions are identical but I'm seeing two different price points and pictures; one bottle with no age statement in the lower $20's just like Boar mentioned and the 10 y.o at about $40.

There are two. The NAS one is about 5 yo while the other is 10. The 10 is the better of the two.

DAMN! Where are you getting Lagavulin 16yo for only $60? Here in the Midwest, it's always at least $70 (and that's even a deal)! :0

DAMN! Where are you getting Lagavulin 16yo for only $60? Here in the Midwest, it's always at least $70 (and that's even a deal)! :0

Mission Liquor here in Southern California. Its normally $65 but goes on sale for $60. Not recently but two years, Hi Times in Costa Mesa sold it for $55. Got a couple of bottles are organized a group buy back then.