• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A really great axe available- "Discontinued" Council Tool Fore

MadMonk

Ok, There are excellent reviews of this Axe on the web so, I'll just say enough to maybe help you decide to read those.

This axe was originally manufactured under government contract and specifications for the US Forestry Service by Council Tool with overruns being sold as the "Forestry Service Boys Axe". Omaha knife apparently was able to get Council to do a run. 

It is a mid size "Boy's Axe". Great for Camping or Bushcraft. 

Steel is 4140 (Excellent). Rc 54-58. Head Weight 2.25, Top grade 28 inch American Hickory Handle which exceeds the original spec. 

Blade Geometry was designed by the Forestry Service who REALLY know what makes a good axe.
This axe is a chopper comparable to, and in cases better than the much more expensive Gransfors Bruks or Wetterlings mid size axes. I suspect the 1/2 ish pound of extra weight makes a huge difference.

$59.99 for letting Omaha Knife pick, $69.99 for you to have them look for certain attributes like grain orientation. They offer sharpening and sheath too, both pricey, unless you don't trust your sharpening or want the very good, but sort of pricey sheath.

Note: Contrary to popular belief, a grain orientation of 10 to 15 degrees off the direction of the bit is better than parallel and, this has proven to not be the huge factor folks tend to believe. Mine is about 20-25 degrees. Parallel grain orientation would be a much bigger factor in a hammer, especially when ripping or pulling stubborn nails. 

Again; Axe does not come with a sheath. I bought one off the Bay of E for about 11 bucks. So, 75-ish bucks for a fantastic axe. 

As stated, Omaha Knife is the seller. If you're looking for a great medium axe, and don't want to spend over $100.00-$150.00 this is highly recommended. Mine chops like a demon. It is also a very decent splitter although I would venture to say the blade geometry is optimized for chopping.