• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A review on an old favorite

Dios de Fuego

My drive to crazy isn't far.
Thought I would review an old favorite of mine that I have been smoking for years. Many of the veteran pipe smokers will know this blend and maker even if they don't frequent it. But for everyone who isn't familiar with it here goes. Orlik is one of the older makers of Pipe tobacco and although all their blends aren't famous the golden blend is vastly renound among pipe smokers alike. Weather you are a fan of this blend or not every one can appreciate that its been on the shelves and made by Orlik for ever, and is not likely to be discontinued any time soon.

The Golden sliced blend is a medium full blend of Virginias, this blend produces a very rich Virginia flavor and maintains a mild almost unnoticed spice and bite as long as it is smoked correctly. This blend also produces some figish aromas and tastes, although the fig is much more pronounced in the smell. The flavor is very consistent throughout the smoke intensifying as the bowl progresses. This blend as many others benefits form some age. Five years, a year whatever the more the better. It's good off the shelf, but I find that a good six months does this blend some justice. I don't smoke this as often as I'd like, but when I do I am reminded what it is that brings me back to it.

Remember, with this blend as with most virginias take it slow, enjoy it, puff slowly, and enjoy. When rubbing, a good rub as opposed to a partial rub is much better and promotes cooler smoking.

Next time your in the local Bnm pick up a tin.

Happy Smoking,

Dios de fuego

Nice Review Taylor, Im grabbing some of this out of your tin as I type without you looking or knowing. Don't be mad.

Jake

when i'm not smoking straight burley, i'm smoking orlik golden sliced.

my review:

like the tin says, this is full body VA tobaccos with a touch of burley.

the cut from the tin is a traditional navy cut flake, you can either roll/fold or rub it
out. from my experience, you get more flavor by rubbing slightly and letting it
dry out a bit before smoking.

flavor: some grassy notes, naturally sweet.
english smokers will find this mild, but VA smokers will appreciate the clean, straight
forward tobacco taste.

this is a good introduction for those who want to try a VA. it is very forgiving, in that it does
not have that traditional VA bite, the addition of burley to this blend helps it smoke cool and
clean. be patient and you will get a simple, but nice, bite-free smoke

aroma: slightly sweet, straight forward "natural" tobacco aroma.

best enjoyed in a smaller bowl dedicated to VA.

Back