• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A silly question for you all

Big B

I was listening to the recent dog watch episode and Bob said something that sparked a question for me. I tend to smoke fairly slow in fear of getting that charred bitter taste in my smoke, therefore every cigar for me smokes for at least a hour and a half. Of course size does make a difference but even a 5*54 takes me at least a hour and a half. Bob was giving a review of a cigar "cant remember what it was" but he said it was a long smoke that lasted a little over an hour. Then he said it was a 7*52 I believe. That thing wouldve lasted me over 2 hours probably. How long does your favorite sizes take you to smoke?

I tend to smoke like a Hoover and I seldom time myself. You're just going to have to do some experimenting. You're new to the hobby, so be patient, read, and use the search function here. You're going to be learning TONS.

I tend to make myself slow down, or like you stated it starts tasting bad and gets hot.

Typically, I don't time myself, but I know that a PC size usually lasts me a good 40 minutes or so. This is what I generally smoke during my commute to work.

Yeah, I don't really time myself either. I will say that I tend to prefer robusto sized cigars and will step up to a toro or belicoso many times, but anything exceeding 6" is just to long for me. Usually by the end of a cigar that size I've already become bored.

I tend to smoke too fast for the first third and then slow down after that. I smoked a RASS the other day and it took me roughly 45 minutes, a Trini Reyes yesterday took about 30 minutes.... My father in law can smoke a churchill in the time it takes me to smoke a PC...I have never seen anyone smoke so damn fast.

When I first started out, I was sucking down on cigars till they tasted like dirty turkey. I don't know how dirty turkey differs from a clean one, but it would really taste like turkey and was not enjoyable. Then I got paranoid and slowed way down till I was always smoking for about 1.5-2 hours for what was usually a robusto in size. Now, I'm probably closer to the hour mark, but I quit paying attention when my burns stopped being erratic and my premium smokes stopped tasting like Thanksgiving.

Of course size does make a difference but even a 5*54 takes me at least a hour and a half.

That sounds like really on the slow side. Does the cigar go out on you in between puffs? I've had trouble keeping some cigars lit if I smoke them too slowly but the small ring gauges appear to stay better lit (< 47) with slow smoking. But in time you'll get a feel for it. I've been smoking for several years now and am still trying to find the right speed. Good luck to you my friend.

Allen

Big B...

I'm a bit like you with cigar smoking times...but yours might be a tad longer than mine. A 5" x 54 would probably take me right around an hour to an hour-fifteen. I could probably take a stout churchill out to 2 hours. I can smoke 'em faster if I put my mind to it but my natural pace is more leisurely. I wouldn't worry in the least if your pace doesn't affect your enjoyment level.

If my main objective is smoking/concentrating on the cigar (ie-for review), I smoke much faster. If I'm smoking while concentrating on something else (ie-reading or TV), it normally takes up to twice as long. I can smoke a robusto in an hour or stretch it to two hours...

Derek

Its probably just me. I smoked a RP Sun Grown last night in the torpedo size an I had it for around two hours. It never went out and I really enjoyed the smoke so mission accomplished. The only time I usually time myself is when Im smoking a new smoke. I usually take a few notes about the cigar for future reference and the time I took to smoke it is included. I picked up a couple of Oliva V churchills and after I got them home I realized that im really going to have to set some time out for those bad boys. Happy smoking to you all.

I usually smoke churchill or bigger and it is rare that a cigar last me more than an hour and fifteen mins. Oddly the padron principe size last me close to an hour. Some of the smaller ones seem to smoke much slower for me....Just my 2 cents,Bill

I tend to smoke like a Hoover and I seldom time myself. You're just going to have to do some experimenting. You're new to the hobby, so be patient, read, and use the search function here. You're going to be learning TONS.

Ditto.

I often smoke 3 cigars at my weekly herf to the 2 cigars most of my buddies get through in the same amount of time. To each his own.

- Tim

I usually smoke churchill or bigger and it is rare that a cigar last me more than an hour and fifteen mins. Oddly the padron principe size last me close to an hour. Some of the smaller ones seem to smoke much slower for me....Just my 2 cents,Bill

This is about how long a robusto takes me. Just goes to show: to each his own. I'm smoking a DPG Blue Invicto right now, have been for about 45 minutes and I'm barely to the halfway point.

What's funny is that whenever I'm out drinking with friends my pint glass is usually drained by the time that everyone else is half full, but when it comes to cigars I savor every last inch. It takes me well over 2 hours to smoke a churchill, the occasional torpedo, or toro even. The robusto is my sweet spot -- one hour plus.

Sometimes it is just the type of cigar that affects the time of smoking, not the size. I would take more time on a cigar that cost $20 verses a cigar that I got for $1.50 in a bundle. A diplomatico sized cigar would run at just about an hour.

I agree that the type of cigar is a factor. But there is no right or wrong for what you enjoy. To paraphrase, "Smoke the way you want and want the way you smoke"

Just work on the second part! ;)

Steve