• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A Thank You to Draper's in Washington DC

garvey

I wanted to make a very public thank you to Dave at W. Curtis Draper's in Washington D.C. for the outstanding customer service they showed me over the past six weeks. Here in Bloomington, Indiana we are limited as to what we can find in our local B&M -- not a very deep selection (some good sticks, but no Padrons, Tatuajes, Illusiones, Pepins, etc....) So at the end of May I had a lead on a Tatuaje Black jar through Draper's and I gave them a call... but the last one had just sold. But Dave told me not to worry, they were scheduled to get a new shipment in from Tatuaje -- I said sold, gave them my credit card and shipping information. The wrinkle was I was leaving for China in two days and wouldn't return for another 3 weeks. Dave told me no worries, they would pull the jar and hold it for me until I returned.

Well, I came did return but there had been no activity on my card so I dropped Draper's an email asking the status -- and I get a return email explaining in detail the complications Tatuaje had in completing the second half of their production. I was reassured that I'd get my cigars, it would just take a little patience.

Yesterday I received a phone call from Dave at Draper's saying the jars had arrived and he just wanted to verify my interest and information. We verified and the Tatuaje jar went out today.

Needless to say, I am thrilled. Draper's just got a new customer sitting here in the midwest. Great service, no price inflation on a premium product, and no delays on their end for shipping.

Big Thanks to Dave & Draper's -- I appreciate the willingness to help a guy from Indiana out!

Very cool! way to give them a public kudos.

Do they have a website set up?

Luckily, Thats my local shop :) They're a bunch of great guys. Its rare that in a shop that just celebrated their 120th year (as marked by the WCD Cabaiguans and the La Aurora Drapers 120th (which was a 100 anos blend in a preferido shape) which is located smack downtown in DC, that you find a shop with a group or totally unpretentious down to earth guys.

I first stopped into Drapers about 9 or 10 years ago on a trip to DC from Chicago. I met up with John, one of the owners now who worked there at the time and Duke who has since retired. I walk in, in shorts and a polo shirt into the shop where all the customers were dressed impeccably. The shop has some great built ins that are original not sure if 120 years old but some are close. A little intimidated but the only shop downtown, I walk to the counter started a little conversation and could immediately tell that these guys just enjoyed life and treated me just like one of the regulars. I mentioned who I was from CF and both welcomed me to DC with a complimentary smoke. I just mention this because sometimes when you walk into an established shop in a major city, you can be treated like a number. This place was far from that.

When I moved to the area 7 years ago. Of course they became my local, being 2 blocks from work doesn't hurt. I still go in there in jeans and a polo shirt, walk through the mayors, senators, bank presidents and say whats new. When Dave started, he wes a great addition and again, totally a down to earth person. I like these guys because I"ve walked in and they'll tell you how it is. I remember one day, John just says, Tak, you look like sh*t. I just had to laugh and say yup. Just my 2 cents worth.

OH and they do have a website but its totally not current or updated. If you're looking for anything, give em a call. G1

Good info, Garvey, thank you. I think it is a great thing to publicly recognize businesses that goes the extra mile. I've made similar posts myself here on CP and I have also mentioned the names of those shops to the manufacturers when I have had the chance. The way I see it is that if I find a company that goes out of their way to help me, and sadly that is becoming rarer and rarer these days, I should do the same for them, and the more successful they are the more likely it is they will be around for a long time providing the same excellent service to all of us.

- Tim

Yep,

John and Dave rock the house!! I too was blessed with a supply of Tat Blacks from them. And I picked up the La Aurora Drapers 120th. I am very pleased with this shop!!

Jim

I was in DC for six weeks last summer and those guys treated me very well. Drapers is a top notch place.

-Mark