• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aberlour 12 y/o

indyrob

You smell like my sausage!
First I want to say that I want to do this review in two parts. One neat and one on the rocks.

aberlour%2012%20years%20double%20cask.jpg

The 12 is a double cask, French Oak & New Oloroso Sherry butts. Warm amber in the bottle and doesn't lighten up very much in the glass.

Glencairn_glass_withbox.jpg

In the Glencairn glass, the nose is really sweet. Almost candy type aromas. It is a really pleasant drink - not much burn to it and no ice/water needed. Tastes like fruit & honey. Long finish and the sherry comes thorough the most this way.

In a rocks glass with ice it doesn't really have much of the candy aromas and it is almost like malt with a touch of honey. There is a pronounced bite on the finish, real peppery and not at all 'pleasant' IMHO. The Oak comes through the most on ice. Less finish, almost clean as it goes. 

FWIW, I like it neat. It's robust out of the bottle and can be easily enjoyed that way. 

Neat! :)

I'm a big Aberlour fan and I'm damn tempted by your review, too. :p

I've tried many single malts but my tastes are preset for that particular, lovely, amber liquid.

Steve

Thanks for the review. I finished a bottle of this last week and really enjoyed it, especially for the price.

Ken

I'm also a fan of Aberlour though I haven't tried the 12. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I was surprised by this bottle and highly recomend it. My fav is the 15, and can't find it easily but this one is a really nice fit. 

I'm also a fan of Aberlour though I haven't tried the 12.  I'll keep an eye out for it.

I was surprised by this bottle and highly recomend it. My fav is the 15, and can't find it easily but this one is a really nice fit. 

I'm also a fan of Aberlour though I haven't tried the 12.  I'll keep an eye out for it.
Do they still make the 15? 16yr. old is relatively easy to acquire here, and is so much better than the 12, that it's hardly worth messing with. The 30yr old is a ticket to paradise, albeit an expensive ticket.

Doc.

I think you're right, Doc. I believe reading here that Aberlour 16 replaced the 15.

According to Dennis Hendry, the 15 is still marketed in France as Cuvee Marie d'Ecosse.

And Belgium, Germany and Spain too. You can still find a few dusties in the US if you look hard.

According to Dennis Hendry, the 15 is still marketed in France as Cuvee Marie d'Ecosse.

Here in AZ the 12 runs about $20-$25 less than the 16 and at about $30.00 a bottle I considered one of the more enjoyable entry level single malts.

My glass of choice is the Riedel Single Malt glass.

If you decide on the Glencairn glass you can get them with just about any logo you want on eBay.

Aberlour

Edited for spelling.