• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aberlour 16yo Double Cask Matured

MadMan56

Aberlour 16yo Double Cask Matured, $60 for 750 ml

I'm out on a business trip which was supposed to be short, so I bought the only decent looking 375ml I could find, which was Dewar's 12yo. Then I found out the trip will be at least a week long, so I went back this morning and bought a 750ml of Aberlour 16yo Double Cask Matured. (Second cask is a sherry cask).

While at the liquor store, I had considered The Belvanie 12yo Doublewood and 15yo Single Cask (the 21yo Portwood was too expensive to consider). I ended up with the Aberlour because, at under $60 it seemed like the most years old for the dollar. :rolleyes:

As I say about my wife, "I think it was fate that brought us together!"

Because of significant sinus problems, I can tell you nothing about the nose. Also, my palate is not as educated as AVB so I can't go into a lot of detail, but here's what I can tell you. This scotch is Awesome!!! It's as smooth as silk. I would say it's fairly sweet as scotches go. The sherry flavor is very present and lasts through it's long beautiful finish. Without being able to taste them at the same sitting, I would guess that this easily stands up to the more expensive The Belvanie whiskys.

Tlachdmhor uisge-beatha

(thanks to http://www.alphadictionary.com/directory/Languages/Celtic/)

Thanks for the review, MM56. I've never tried this before. Truth be known, I don't recall ever seeing it in the liquor stores I frequent. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

The 15 year old which was replaced by the 16 year old is exactly the same and the only Aberlour I have bought so far. I love this scotch and I plan to get the 16 as soon as my current bottle runs out to see if that extra year makes any difference. I hold it in the same class as Glenmorangie, Macallan, and Balvenie as one of my favorite scotches and I agree it is one of the best values at it's age and price range.

I would love to see what this scotch would be like at 21 or 25 years old.

at 2 bottles of aberlour 16 or 1 bottle of macallan 18.. a guy would have to be Very Comfortable to ignore the cost vs quality ratio.

i'd say the aberlour (15/16) is the closest competition to the mac 18, and better than any YOUNGER Macallan I've tasted. (including cask strength 10 yr old, a very good value)

bang buck winner. if there's a better sherried whisky at that price point somebody TELL me..