• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aberlour a'bunadh Cask #32

Aberlour a'bunadh is my regular 'splurge' Scotch, the one I rely on for special occasions and "Shoot . . . I deserve this" impulses. I discovered it around Cask #28 (thanks, Ray!) and have been drinking it ever since.

The new casking introduces a new packaging and redesigned label---Balvenie style tube with metal caps and a larger, buff-colored label---and debuts at an impressive 60.4% alcohol content, as opposed to #31's 59.2. The iconic thick-necked bottle remains the same.

You wouldn't think that small increase in proof would make such a big difference, but let me tell you, it's definitely noticeable, and in a "Holy crap that's strong!" way. Additionally, I'm finding it slightly less sweet and fruity, and distinctly higher in tannins than previous expressions.

Like its predecessors, this a'bunadh is full and fruity in the mouth, with a long, lingering finish and a beautiful burn. The fruit is dried cherries and ginger, with a smoky oak backbone and an incredible top note of high proof burn.

I take my Scotch on the rocks, straight up, and let it dilute itself gradually over the course of a dram. At every sip this one opens up a little bit more, and never stops impressing. Absolutely wonderful, and highly recommended---this is a worthy addition to the Aberlour legacy. :thumbs:

~Boar

I love me some A'bunadh as well.

I have seen the the new marketing and bottling thought it looked pretty good. I have yet to try out the new batch, I am working on #28 right now and am really enjoying it. Thanks for the information on the new batch. I find that sometimes once theses cask strength bottles are opened for a while the air will soften it a little bit so the profile might change into something with a little less bite. But, isn't the bite why we love it? The A'bunadh is a serious dram and I love how the bite jumps up and reminds you. 'Hey this is good stuff pay attention" You can't sleep on these drams they demand your attention.

Any change in price? Sometimes the new marketing (bottles, packaging etc,) can lead to price increases as well. Just curious.

Thanks for the review. I'm planning a purchase in April and Aberlour a'bunadh is at the top of the list. I'll pay attention to which cask they have available.

I paid the same price at my local, Greg. Having another couple drams of it tonight and it's very, very impressive. Definitely not as sweet as earlier casks, though.

~Boar

Boar,

That is good to know. Recently, I noticed that when Balvenie released their Rum and Madeira casks offerings the price of the 15yo went up $5.

The new batch sounds interesting for as good as the A'bunadh is, my only slight knock on it is that it can get too sweet at times. Sounds like this new batch is right up my alley. I will have to pick this one up.

Thanks for the info.