• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

? about storage in Cooladors

ndtoronto

Hey

I have just moved out of my house and my new one wont be ready for a few months (had to move for work) The moving company packed up m humidor but I took the cigars in Ziploc bags still in the boxes. I bought a cooler and placed them in there with a bunch of Vipers beads.

My question is Should I be storing them in the bags or take them out of the bags The RH is holding steady at 70 but should I be worried about the cigars and boxes drying out because they are in the bags?

I hope not

Thanks in advance
NDT

Hey

I have just moved out of my house and my new one wont be ready for a few months (had to move for work) The moving company packed up m humidor but I took the cigars in Ziploc bags still in the boxes. I bought a cooler and placed them in there with a bunch of Vipers beads.

My question is Should I be storing them in the bags or take them out of the bags The RH is holding steady at 70 but should I be worried about the cigars and boxes drying out because they are in the bags?

I hope not

Thanks in advance
NDT

I know a lot of people that keep their cigars in ziplocs. Make sure to keep the end of the baggies open so that air can get into the bags and you should be fine. Personally I keep all of my cigars in my coolerdor in cigar boxes, and they don't dry out. Make sure you season the boxes before you put sticks in them however.

The boxes were all seasoned howver what would be the point of having thm in bags if I were to leave them open

The boxes were all seasoned howver what would be the point of having thm in bags if I were to leave them open

To let them breathe and to circulate the RH that you have established in you coolador.

Provides your cigars some protection from wrapper damage, etc. Sorta like leaving the cello on, but it seems more and more cigars are coming without cello now. Also gives you a way to label your cigars, and when you're looking for something specific you just move around a few ziplocs instead of digging through piles of singles. I don't keep my sticks in ziploc's so I'm just fishing for answers here.

Personally I keep all of my cigars in my coolerdor in cigar boxes, and they don't dry out. Make sure you season the boxes before you put sticks in them however.
I've recently picked up several empty boxes from my B&M to use in my new coolidor. I'm using beads & am still monitoring the RH before taking my stock out of tupperware & ziplocs. The boxes came from inside the humidor at my B&M & sat in a non-humidified environment for a few days before going in my cooler. Since putting them in my cooler, the RH has been mostly steady so far. I presume the boxes (the lids are all closed) are seasoned enough from the B&M to not need any additional attention before I put my sticks in there directly?

Personally I keep all of my cigars in my coolerdor in cigar boxes, and they don't dry out. Make sure you season the boxes before you put sticks in them however.
I've recently picked up several empty boxes from my B&M to use in my new coolidor. I'm using beads & am still monitoring the RH before taking my stock out of tupperware & ziplocs. The boxes came from inside the humidor at my B&M & sat in a non-humidified environment for a few days before going in my cooler. Since putting them in my cooler, the RH has been mostly steady so far. I presume the boxes (the lids are all closed) are seasoned enough from the B&M to not need any additional attention before I put my sticks in there directly?

It all depends on what the RH was at the B&M outside of the humidor. There is a chance that those boxes could be bone dry and by throwing your cigars in there the box will suck the humidity out of the cigars. If I were you I would open up the lids to the boxes and watch the humidity for a day or two. It wont hurt anything, and the worst that will come of it is you will have more peace of mind and nothing to worry about.

It all depends on what the RH was at the B&M outside of the humidor. There is a chance that those boxes could be bone dry and by throwing your cigars in there the box will suck the humidity out of the cigars. If I were you I would open up the lids to the boxes and watch the humidity for a day or two. It wont hurt anything, and the worst that will come of it is you will have more peace of mind and nothing to worry about.
The boxes were in the humidor at the B&M, I brought them home & they sat in my basement (no idea of the RH) a few days before putting them in my cooler. So they could dry out that quickly? Damn.

But I was getting ready to go open them no matter the reply I got. However, this isn't the 1st time you've answered one of my questions, so thank you again.

The boxes were in the humidor at the B&M, I brought them home & they sat in my basement (no idea of the RH) a few days before putting them in my cooler. So they could dry out that quickly? Damn.

But I was getting ready to go open them no matter the reply I got. However, this isn't the 1st time you've answered one of my questions, so thank you again.

There's a good chance they're fine, but it's better to be safe than sorry you know? Open 'em up, let 'em soak up some of the humidity, throw your sticks in there and be happy! And as far as answering your questions, my pleasure, one of the many aspects that makes this a great community is the wealth of knowledge that is present. While I do not consider myself to be very wealthy in that regard, I do try to help when I can. Good luck!

I store mine mostly in boxes but I do have a zip lock bag in there. I think opening the bag just a little is better for the cigars if you do store them in a bag.